Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:26 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
That is correct. The same identical koine word of aionios is used in both punishment and life. Everlasting life is not on the basis of aionios, which is neither everlasting or certainly not eternal! Eternal life is based solely in the One who is the Aidios God. And that same God, more intimately referred to as Abba, is the Father of all fathers, and only punishes with an objective at the base, most certainly not the ghastly concept of unending torment for the endless ages forever and ever ad nauseum!

"From Him the all comes, through Him the all exists, and in Him the all ends...
You seem like a nice person, but that is absolutely nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 11:39 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,029,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You seem like a nice person, but that is absolutely nuts.
I am not a nice person. I mentioned to my beloved partner of many moons that everybody hates me. The response= everybody has not met you yet.

And perhaps you could point out what in the quote is absolutely nuts?

"The same identical koine word of aionios is used in both punishment and life. Everlasting life is not on the basis of aionios, which is neither everlasting or certainly not eternal! Eternal life is based solely in the One who is the Aidios God. And that same God, more intimately referred to as Abba, is the Father of all fathers, and only punishes with an objective at the base, most certainly not the ghastly concept of unending torment for the endless ages forever and ever ad nauseum!

From Him the all comes, through Him the all exists, and in Him the all ends..."

Old 06-14-2018, 11:40 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You've spoken Koine Greek for 40 years?
Greek grand parents, Greek Mother, we learnt both German and Greek as children. At church we read and listened to the NT in Koine Greek. So I would say I started using Koine Greek just over years ago.

It is English I have my problems with.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:18 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Greek grand parents, Greek Mother, we learnt both German and Greek as children. At church we read and listened to the NT in Koine Greek. So I would say I started using Koine Greek just over years ago.

It is English I have my problems with.
Interesting. Wasn't aware there was a denomination that read the texts in Koine Greek. I know it's not the same as Classic Greek, but it's close. So I asked

Old 06-14-2018, 12:21 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
I’ve seen this before with our universalist friends. They can tell you why Hell is not eternal, but when you ask about Heaven, they respond with “It’s all about the relationship”, avoiding the actual question of whether Heaven is eternal.

That tells me they know the length of time is the same for both.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:24 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I’ve seen this before with our universalist friends. They can tell you why Hell is not eternal, but when you ask about Heaven, they respond with “It’s all about the relationship”, avoiding the actual question of whether Heaven is eternal.

That's because a universalist belief system is not derived from sound theology and deep study of the Scriptures.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:40 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
And perhaps you could point out what in the quote is absolutely nuts?

"The same identical koine word of aionios is used in both punishment and life. Everlasting life is not on the basis of aionios, which is neither everlasting or certainly not eternal! Eternal life is based solely in the One who is the Aidios God. And that same God, more intimately referred to as Abba, is the Father of all fathers, and only punishes with an objective at the base, most certainly not the ghastly concept of unending torment for the endless ages forever and ever ad nauseum!

From Him the all comes, through Him the all exists, and in Him the all ends..."
Because you have no boundary in sacrificing language in order to meet an outcome. That's nuts.

You are basically telling Jesus that He didn't really mean what He said... He meant to say something different.

That's right out of the garden in Genesis 3... "God surely didn't say that you would die"... well - yes He did.... and they did.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

Again Jimmiej, there is only ONE word in all of the canon that means eternal: that one word, found in exactly two passages of Scripture, is aidios and is firmly rooted only in the aidios God! And again: eternal life is solely based in a union with the aidios Father and His beloved Son. And no, the length of time is not the same at all. NOT! Aionios and the Hebrew olam cannot support the idea of endless...simply cannot.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Because you have no boundary in sacrificing language in order to meet an outcome. That's nuts.

You are basically telling Jesus that He didn't really mean what He said... He meant to say something different.
My friend, the Savior of all mankind, Rose listens to with a diligence. I tell Him nothing!

Old 06-14-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's because a universalist belief system is not derived from sound theology and deep study of the Scriptures.
Are you actually serious?

It is true that KOLASIS is derived etymologically from KOLAZÔ.

It is also true that in Classic Greek, KOLAZÔ means "to prune, to cut off." However, there are several problems with asserting that KOLASIS should be properly translated "cutting off" because of its relationship with KOLAZÔ.

First, determining the meaning of a word by its derivation is an example of the "etymological fallacy." D.A. Carson states that presuming that a word's meaning is bound up with its root or roots is "linguistic nonsense" (Carson, Fallacies, p. 28).

Words may or may not share semantic range with their etymological forebears. In many cases, they do not. The fact that all modern lexicons define KOLASIS as "punishment" and not one lists "cutting off" as a possible definition, suggests that it does not mean "cutting off," regardless of what KOLAZÔ may mean.

Second, KOLAZÔ had the meaning "to prune, to cut off" in Classical Greek.

However, as the Liddell-Scott lexicon shows, even in classical times, it began to take on the meaning of chastisement or punishment: to chastise, punish, Sophocles, Euripides, etc.:—Med. to get a person punished, Aristophanes, Plato:—Pass. to be punished, Xenophon. (LS)

While KOLAZÔ may have originally had the meaning "cut off," it was commonly used in late Classical Greek and in Koine Greek to mean "punish, chastise, restrain." A quick check of the modern lexicons will confirm this fact:

Prop[erly] to lop, prune as trees, wings ... to chastise, correct, punish: so in the N.T. (Thayer)
"To cut short," "to lop," "to trim," and figuratively a. "to impede," "restrain," and b. "to punish" ... A common use is for divine chastisement....The NT uses kolazw in Acts 4:18 and 2 Peter 2:9. Only the latter refers to God's punishment (TDNT)

Punish (BAGD) - This lexicon lists dozens of examples from literature contemporary with the NT and lists "punish" as the only meaning for kolazw in this time period.

Moulton & Milligan suggest that kolazw retains the meaning "correcting," "cutting down" in later documents, such as Galen, but note that "punish" is the proper translation in the NT, and cite several contemporary sources supporting this meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity