Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 03:32 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Of course nothing is going to convince you that you are wrong. You are however, wrong. While Romans 1 (uh oh, that's in the Bible) tells us that there is a general revelation of God in his creation, that has absolutely nothing to do with having specific knowledge about Jesus Christ. Only through the recorded writings of the New Testament writers with regard to Jesus can we know anything about Jesus, and what he taught and did.

And notice how you always end up referring to the Bible in an attempt to prove that you don't need the Bible.

You, and I mean you personally, don't know one single thing about Jesus that doesn't have its source in the Bible.
When i refer the scriptures to be the bible i meaning that which is idoloizedby the religious system. I am noteven talking about special knowledge, i am talking about what i have already mentioned to you. If you seek the Lord you will find him, of cause you do not believe that unless you tag on the end of it, but you have to seek him and come to him by the bible. Jesus did not teach that. Jesus taught the Father not the bible draws us to himself, again you are insistent that can only happen with God using the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 04:52 AM

I will tell you this much too Mike 555,

The Ethiopian eunuch who went to the center of what he thought was the source of knowledge in the things concerning God, he left not having found what he was looking for. He did leave with at least some writings from the scriptures and God used them to reveal the one they testified of, i am not disputing that. But if that is not a picture of modern day fundamentalism i don't know what is, yes Jerusalem had the scriptures but their false conception of it left them idolizing it, that the Christ it testified of was hidden from them. They had taken the scriptures and amazingly as if by magic veiled the true meaning, application and understanding of them and the hearer of them from then on received what they had been turned into, received them as if it was God speaking to them.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:09 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I prefer to rely on the actual WORD, aka VOICE of god. I believe this supersedes any words that MAN may written.
The men who wrote down the scriptures claimed to have heard directly from God, just like you.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28
I prefer to rely on the actual WORD, aka VOICE of god. I believe this supersedes any words that MAN may written.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The men who wrote down the scriptures claimed to have heard directly from God, just like you.
zthatzmanz28, could you write down these Bible superseding revelations and share then with the rest of us?

Oh I forgot, if you write them down they become just words written by MAN.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-17-2018 at 06:44 AM..

Old 08-17-2018, 06:10 AM

1,146 posts, read 649,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
New Age is a common phrase used by a lot of people, not just Christians. They're just copying what they hear others say.
And yes, it often refers to really old religions.
The correct term, whether Christians use it or not - realize it or not, is Post Modernism.

The term can be equally applied to politics as well as religion. It refers to the acceptance of subjective undocumented opinion instead of hard objective facts and figures.

For instance, it's widely believed the Holy See is infallible - yet if the man was married he'd learn very quickly he isn't.

Some believe POTUS 45 is God's gift to America, until the man opens his mouth.

Subjective opinion is whatever vomits from someone's mouth and is generally accepted regardless of its illogic and unsubstantiated premise.

It's formal name is Post Modernism.

It's traditional name is bovine excrement.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 08-17-2018, 06:14 AM

1,146 posts, read 649,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Until recently,I have always thought that Christianity is a Religion. In fact even in a dictionary, it says so. But much to my surprise, the Evangelists nowadays insist Christianity is not a religion at all. Why this recent change in nomenclature? And at what point did it change? After all, Christianity has been seen as a Religion for so many centuries. So why the sudden change?
This is the first I've heard that sort of thing. Admittedly I don't listen to those people much.

True evangelists are a rare breed these days, but religious snake oil salesmen have multiplied like rabbits in heat. In my mind the two are not the same.

That being said, please tell me which 'evangelists' have decided to mislabel a 2,000 year old religion that got along just fine before they declared themselves experts on the subject?

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 08-17-2018, 07:36 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
When i refer the scriptures to be the bible i meaning that which is idoloizedby the religious system. I am noteven talking about special knowledge, i am talking about what i have already mentioned to you. If you seek the Lord you will find him, of cause you do not believe that unless you tag on the end of it, but you have to seek him and come to him by the bible. Jesus did not teach that. Jesus taught the Father not the bible draws us to himself, again you are insistent that can only happen with God using the bible.
If a person truly seeks the Lord then God will see to it that he gets to hear the gospel message concerning Jesus. Without being exposed to the gospel message and believing it, no one is saved. A person may be evangelized by some person or other, but ultimately the gospel message has been preserved for us in the Bible.

The early church had the apostles, as well as pastor/teachers. We no longer have the apostles. We do have pastor/teachers. And we have the writings of the apostles.

Again, ultimately, everything we know about Jesus has its source in the Bible.

And let's not forget your original claim which was that the Bible is not how we know Jesus. You then challenged BaptistFundie to provide a verse which shows that the Bible is how we know Jesus. I provided such a verse and you then moved the goal post by saying that that verse doesn't say that the Bible is the only way you can know Jesus. I then pointed out that everything we know about Jesus has its source in the Bible. Which it does. Without the Bible we wouldn't know anything about what Jesus said or did during his public ministry.

Last edited by Michael Way; 08-17-2018 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-17-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
If a person truly seeks the Lord then God will see to it that he gets to hear the gospel message concerning Jesus. Without being exposed to the gospel message and believing it, no one is saved. A person may be evangelized by some person or other, but ultimately the gospel message has been preserved for us in the Bible.

The early church had the apostles, as well as pastor/teachers. We no longer have the apostles. We do have pastor/teachers. And we have the writings of the apostles.

Again, ultimately, everything we know about Jesus has its source in the Bible.

And let's not forget your original claim which was that the Bible is not how we know Jesus. You then challenged BaptistFundie to provide a verse which shows that the Bible is how we know Jesus. I provided such a verse and you then moved the goal post by saying that that verse doesn't say that the Bible is the only way you can know Jesus. I then pointed out that everything we know about Jesus has its source in the Bible. Which it does. Without the Bible we wouldn't know anything about what Jesus said or did during his public ministry.
You do understand that the gospel was shared word of mouth before the new testament was ever compiled ?. So the word of God spread Acts 6:7..... What do you think that word of God was ?.

Again the verse you provided does not say that is THE way to know Jesus, If that was so, the word of God could not be effective until the new testament was compiled.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:07 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You do understand that the gospel was shared word of mouth before the new testament was ever compiled ?. So the word of God spread Acts 6:7..... What do you think that word of God was ?.

Again the verse you provided does not say that is THE way to know Jesus, If that was so, the word of God could not be effective until the new testament was compiled.
I already addressed this. We no longer have the apostles. While the apostles lived, oral transmission of the gospel was the primary way in which the gospel was transmitted. But the apostles put the gospel in writing which preserved it down to our generation.

The word of God has been transmitted in various ways throughout human history. In the past, the word of God has come through angels, prophets, dreams, visions, Jesus, the apostles, and the apostolic writings (the books of the Bible). Today, we have the Bible as well as pastor/teachers who teach from the Bible.

And again, you change tho goal post. Your claim was that the Bible is not the way we know Jesus. Now you are trying to change the claim to the Bible is not the only way to know Jesus. And once again, everything we know about Jesus (today) has its source in the Bible. We don't have the apostles. They died by the end of the first century AD. We have their writings which have been passed down to us. This is not difficult to understand.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I already addressed this. We no longer have the apostles. While the apostles lived, oral transmission of the gospel was the primary way in which the gospel was transmitted. But the apostles put the gospel in writing which preserved it down to our generation.

The word of God has been transmitted in various ways throughout human history. In the past, the word of God has come through angels, prophets, dreams, visions, Jesus, the apostles, and the apostolic writings (the books of the Bible). Today, we have the Bible as well as pastor/teachers who teach from the Bible.

And again, you change tho goal post. Your claim was that the Bible is not the way we know Jesus. Now you are trying to change the claim to the Bible is not the only way to know Jesus. And once again, everything we know about Jesus (today) has its source in the Bible. We don't have the apostles. They died by the end of the first century AD. We have their writings which have been passed down to us. This is not difficult to understand.
The word of God was spread by word of my expressed in love by faith, it was not limited to the Apostles, that word did not die when there was no longer apostles. You have not addressed this. I think it is quite obvious that i believe the scriptures and obvious that i believe that the scriptures are not necessary to seek the Lord. The passed down message of Jesus Christ by word of mouth being the way to the Father is not that difficult to understand. How lovely on the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity