Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 11:29 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,910,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
This thread was brought back up, thanks, you two ...my thoughts...if there were no Bible stories regarding mass murders,
and a God flippantly wanting to kill everyone...
I DO REALLY believe there would be less atheists...it seems it is the Judeo-Christian God they reject or refuse to believe in.

Are there many atheists in India? Come on...They have a human rep of God that manifests 12 times to make love
to milk maidens behind haystacks and goes off playing His flute with long luxurious hair and mascara eyes!
Everyone believes in God over there!!!! LOL
What a diff!!!

"Think of Me and you will surely find Me.
In every thought perceive Me.
Those who take refuge in me,
will go to the highest goal"

-Krishna, Ch 9 of the Gita (Oooo, scary)
This reminds me of an amazing talk I heard by a Catholic history teacher (PhD in history) where he described the Old Testament as the weird, the wrong, and the historic. The weird relating to things like creation story and floods (is it real or symbolic), the wrong relating to God seeming very mean and spiteful, and the historic relating to actual historic parts of the Bible.

Basically, he mentioned, that you have to remember while the Bible is inspired by God, it was written over a long span and many different people contributed to it during very different time periods, and all of the different pieces are put together into one book (which has been translated and interpreted over many years).

In the Old Testament, the people who contributed to it, their whole concept of God was very different. Because it was before Christ, they did not know the friend of God that we do, so the way God is described is much different. Also, during Old Testament times, storytelling was big, so many concepts related to God's justice are told through the lens of a a "mean" God because that was who they thought God was (they didn't know Christ). As God is slowly revealed to men through Christ, that is why books in the New Testament describe God differently (even though it is the same God).

Because of context is important, that is why Catholics do not take all parts of the Bible literally. Also it would have been impossible for writers in those times to understand the intricacies of science, so while many concepts are tue and important, they are not contradictory to science and there are parts of the Bible that we believe are more symbolic.

To answer your question about God, I do think some parts of the Bible do hurt the image of God and Christianity to the general public/atheists, but I keep in mind that our understanding of who God really is was revealed throughout the whole Bible, and therefore, our clearest understanding came after Christ taught us (in the New Testament), and through the Holy Spirit our understanding keeps growing to this day.

*this is only a Catholic perspective, so I'm sure some will disagree, which is fine.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:21 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,451,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
God does love everyone but he would not be a fair God is he treated everyone the same...

...God would be unjust if he treated all people the same.
But, 'He' does.
The rules to the board game are the same for everyone...You reap what you sow.
He doesn't 'do' things 'to' anyone....He set up a Brilliant Formula or System on auto-pilot.

The Sun shines regardless if you are a saint or criminal...it's YOU who decides to step in the shade.
Life is very simple.
Your rewards or pratfalls are your own, my friend.

And thank you, person1.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:26 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,426,118 times
Quote:
But, 'He' does.
He doesn't 'do' things 'to' anyone....He set up a Brilliant Formula or System on auto-pilot.

The Sun shines regardless if you are a saint or criminal...it's YOU who decides to step in the shade.
Life is very simple.
....[/b]
This is how I see it as well, Hep.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,736,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Everyone is entitled to her/his own beliefs. Some people believe it is wrong to add to or subtract away from the Bible; others have no problem with the practice and seemingly make it up as they go along. No one is trying to force you either way so there's no need for the hostile tone.
Absolutely no one, and I mean NO ONE, doesn't add or subtract to the Bible. Even those who believe Scripture is "literally" true, have to create fictional stories to make contradictions or difficult Scriptures "harmonize." Then they give to their fictional story the same inspirational credence they give the Bible.

Difference is, they don't think that is what they're doing!!!

Old 12-08-2018, 03:36 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,023,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Absolutely no one, and I mean NO ONE, doesn't add or subtract to the Bible. Even those who believe Scripture is "literally" true, have to create fictional stories to make contradictions or difficult Scriptures "harmonize." Then they give to their fictional story the same inspirational credence they give the Bible.

Difference is, they don't think that is what they're doing!!!
That's why it's every man for himself. Study to show thine own self-approval

Old 12-08-2018, 04:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,456,150 times
Quote:
But, 'He' does.

Life is very simple.

And thank you, person1.
Very good points.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:28 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,366,031 times
Quote:
You're an internet weirdo, who's probably not suppose to give out Halloween candy.
I like you calling me weirdo. Weird is always good. I had to look up what you was meaning about halloween candy(Never entered my my mind but obviously you are gripped by it ),Like i said that is comng from your own heart but you could never comprehend that, you are the the one who should not be handing out candy on halloween.

Camps the Cult leader grew the cult today by 1 , latest recruit, a Brazilian with no family here in RI who accepted my invitation to come to our house for christmas, i'm going to indoctrinate him with traditional British Christmas fayre, learn something from HIM, and hopefully send him home a loved and blessed person. I have 2 other guys on my radar too to extend the same invitation., a mason and a ex marine. So maybe by Christmas day the cult i am the leader of will have grown to 5. You good with that?.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:51 PM

88,751 posts, read 85,140,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I like you calling me weirdo. Weird is always good. I had to look up what you was meaning about halloween candy(Never entered my my mind but obviously you are gripped by it ),Like i said that is comng from your own heart but you could never comprehend that, you are the the one who should not be handing out candy on halloween.

Camps the Cult leader grew the cult today by 1 , latest recruit, a Brazilian with no family here in RI who accepted my invitation to come to our house for christmas, i'm going to indoctrinate him with traditional British Christmas fayre, learn something from HIM, and hopefully send him home a loved and blessed person. I have 2 other guys on my radar too to extend the same invitation., a mason and a ex marine. So maybe by Christmas day the cult i am the leader of will have grown to 5. You good with that?.
Maybe six. Tell me more about the traditional Brit food...

Old 12-08-2018, 06:59 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,023,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe six. Tell me more about the traditional Brit food...
That sounds like a good idea because he's certainly not interested in the thread topic.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:14 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,366,031 times
Quote:
That sounds like a good idea because he's certainly not interested in the thread topic.
Aww Mr Lay his cards on the table, you're so cute .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity