Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 05:34 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,466,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I’m not a fundamentalist-I’m just a Christian.

I’m aware of the translation you mention. I believe the writings we have are scripture. They are unified in their message of Truth & Grace, from the prophets to Jesus to the apostles. God directed the hands of men to give us what is true of Himself and His plan for mankind.

The scriptures have been changing lives for the better for thousands of years and continue to do so, by the power of God.
You do realize Jimmie, that the writer of the letter of 2 Timothy was not referring to anything you call NT when he said all writings are God breathed?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 05:46 AM

20,500 posts, read 12,901,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You do realize Jimmie, that the writer of the letter of 2 Timothy was not referring to anything you call NT when he said all writings are God breathed?.
Wrong.

1 Thessalonians 2: 13–14:

And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers. For you, brothers, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:47 AM

51 posts, read 17,250 times
Quote:
I’m not a fundamentalist-I’m just a Christian.

I’m aware of the translation you mention. I believe the writings we have are scripture. They are unified in their message of Truth & Grace, from the prophets to Jesus to the apostles. God directed the hands of men to give us what is true of Himself and His plan for mankind.

The scriptures have been changing lives for the better for thousands of years and continue to do so, by the power of God.
Thank you very much for this reply. Even though we may not agree on many things, I really want to thank you for the tone and content of your message. When I saw that you had replied, I was bracing myself for the usual venom and vitriol. I've been to other religious forums and my experience has always been that people who look at the Bible the way you do tend to reply to my kind of post with hateful venom. I apologise for generalizing but it really has been my experience.

This is the first time I have received a response that isn't at all filled with anger, hate and all the negative emotions. I'm saving your post because it's so different, in a wonderful way.

Cheerio!

Old 01-24-2019, 07:27 AM

16,780 posts, read 15,859,835 times
Quote:
Wrong.

And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers. For you, brothers, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea.
It is impossible for that passage to refer to documents that had not yet been written. The word Scripture, at that time, referred only to the Torah.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It is impossible for that passage to refer to documents that had not yet been written. The word Scripture, at that time, referred only to the Torah.
If you look at post #33, you can see Paul included his own writings as Spirit-led.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:17 AM

16,780 posts, read 15,859,835 times
Quote:
If you look at post #33, you can see Paul included his own writings as Spirit-led.
Makes no difference. The Gospels, Acts, and Revelation had not yet been written.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,466,699 times
Quote:
Wrong.

You are assuming that the word in that verse means scripture, you have no grounds whatsoever to assume that, other than believing the New Testament at the time although not put together was as good as being scripture in the same manner as the Old Testament that was already compiled. . Another thing, all bible fundamentalists cannot quote 1 single verse of scripture that predicted a compilation of writings would be added to the scriptures that already existed.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Makes no difference. The Gospels, Acts, and Revelation had not yet been written.
Yes, it does. If these men were Spirit-led, as the Apostle Peter also points out, their words are gospel.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You are assuming that the word in that verse means scripture, you have no grounds whatsoever to assume that, other than believing the New Testament at the time although not put together was as good as being scripture in the same manner as the Old Testament that was already compiled. . Another thing, all bible fundamentalists cannot quote 1 single verse of scripture that predicted a compilation of writings would be added to the scriptures that already existed.
I’m assuming what Paul wrote came from his encounter with Jesus.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,998,604 times
If "all writing" included in the Bible were inspired by God you would have a point, but much of it clearly is not inspired by the "Father" described by Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity