Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 11:18 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You're making a dogmatic statement about a verse which Greek scholars are divided on. While you claim that 2 Tim. 3:16 should be translated '''All writing which is God-breathed..., '' that is by no means the majority view of scholars.

Daniel B. Wallace writes in his Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics with regard to 2 Tim. 3:16;
2 Tim. 3:16 πᾶσα γραφὴ θεόπνευστος καὶ ὠφέλιμος
every scripture is inspired and profitable

Many scholars feel that the translation should be: ''Every inspired scripture is also profitable.'' This is probably not the best translation, however, for the following reasons: (1) Contextually:
Wallace then expands on why the context does not support the view ''Every inspired scripture is also profitable.''

Then Wallace continues,
(2) Grammatically: (a) The fact that v 16 is asyndetic (i.e., begins without a conjunction) cannot be due to new subject matter, but to the solemnity of the statement because the author had been discussing the holy writings in v 15. Thus seeing θεόπνευστος as predicate fits in better with the solemn tone established at the beginning of the verse. (b) Since the copula is lacking, it needs to be supplied in English. And the most natural place to supply the equative verb is between the subject and the first word that follows it. It is in fact significant that an author typically leaves out the copula when he assumes the audience knows where it naturally should go. (c) The fact that καὶ means ''and'' twelve times as often as it means ''also,'' between two adjectives in the same case, argues for a predicate θεόπνευστος.
Wallace goes on in much more detail, which I won't bother to quote, but he ends with the comment,
In the least, the evidence renders translations of this verse such as the NEB's (''every inspired scripture has its use'') highly suspect.

Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics, Daniel B. Wallace, pp. 313-14.
Wallace, who is a highly qualified Greek scholar and whose intermediate Grammar, Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics is a standard textbook in intermediate Greek courses, disagrees with your claim of how 2 Timothy 3:16 should be translated. As do others.

For instance, William D. Mounce who is a scholar of New Testament Greek makes the following comment concerning 2 Timothy 3:16 as quoted by Bill Wenstrom in the following paper on the Exegesis and Exposition of Second Timothy 3:16-17.
Mounce writes ''The question is whether Paul is thinking of Scripture as a cohesive whole (''all'') or as the sum total of its parts (''every''). Some argue that 'every' Scripture suggest that only some portions of Scripture are God-Breathed ('every Scripture that is inspired'), but this seems foreign to the text. Paul is encouraging Timothy to center his ministry on Scripture because it comes from God and will fully equip him for service. It is out of place in this context to introduce the note of supposed unreliability of some Scripture. Rather, translating πᾶσ as 'every' emphasizes that the origin of every single element of the OT comes from God.''

https://www.academia.edu/34066370/Ex...imothy_3_16_17
The above reference paper on the exegesis and exposition of 2 Timothy 3:16 is extensive in length, and I have only quoted William Mounces comment.

It is highly biased to dogmatically claim as you did that 2 Timothy 3:16 should be translated as ''All writing which is God-breathed. . .'' when scholars themselves are not unanimous regarding the translation, and very good arguments exist, both textually and grammatically for the proper translation as being 'all (or 'every') Scripture is God-breathed (or inspired)'.
A very scholarly exegesis. Standard form....which basically means that there is NO effort to see what the Spirit of Jesus' promise would show concerning some of the passages which must be included in your wholesale endorsement of a collection of the different perceptions presented over centuries of developing thoughts. You ignore glaring differences and claim a single theme that partisan theologians have jumped through amazing hoops to present as unity. Keep It Simple is a good rule and John did that when he said that all who love are from the God who IS love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 11:24 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,334,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Because Jesus gave him that authority.
Where is that scripture that Jesus gave Peter the authority to determine what is scripture and what isn't?. This is getting rather ridiculous now jimmie leading me on a wild goose chase to get you to point me to where Jesus gave Peter such authority.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:03 PM

33,316 posts, read 26,518,342 times
Quote:
You're making a dogmatic statement about a verse which Greek scholars are divided on. While you claim that 2 Tim. 3:16 should be translated '''All writing which is God-breathed..., '' that is by no means the majority view of scholars.

Daniel B. Wallace writes in his Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics with regard to 2 Tim. 3:16;
2 Tim. 3:16 πᾶσα γραφὴ θεόπνευστος καὶ ὠφέλιμος
every scripture is inspired and profitable

Many scholars feel that the translation should be: ''Every inspired scripture is also profitable.'' This is probably not the best translation, however, for the following reasons: (1) Contextually:
Wallace then expands on why the context does not support the view ''Every inspired scripture is also profitable.''

Then Wallace continues,
(2) Grammatically: (a) The fact that v 16 is asyndetic (i.e., begins without a conjunction) cannot be due to new subject matter, but to the solemnity of the statement because the author had been discussing the holy writings in v 15. Thus seeing θεόπνευστος as predicate fits in better with the solemn tone established at the beginning of the verse. (b) Since the copula is lacking, it needs to be supplied in English. And the most natural place to supply the equative verb is between the subject and the first word that follows it. It is in fact significant that an author typically leaves out the copula when he assumes the audience knows where it naturally should go. (c) The fact that καὶ means ''and'' twelve times as often as it means ''also,'' between two adjectives in the same case, argues for a predicate θεόπνευστος.
Wallace goes on in much more detail, which I won't bother to quote, but he ends with the comment,
In the least, the evidence renders translations of this verse such as the NEB's (''every inspired scripture has its use'') highly suspect.

Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics, Daniel B. Wallace, pp. 313-14.
Wallace, who is a highly qualified Greek scholar and whose intermediate Grammar, Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics is a standard textbook in intermediate Greek courses, disagrees with your claim of how 2 Timothy 3:16 should be translated. As do others.

For instance, William D. Mounce who is a scholar of New Testament Greek makes the following comment concerning 2 Timothy 3:16 as quoted by Bill Wenstrom in the following paper on the Exegesis and Exposition of Second Timothy 3:16-17.
Mounce writes ''The question is whether Paul is thinking of Scripture as a cohesive whole (''all'') or as the sum total of its parts (''every''). Some argue that 'every' Scripture suggest that only some portions of Scripture are God-Breathed ('every Scripture that is inspired'), but this seems foreign to the text. Paul is encouraging Timothy to center his ministry on Scripture because it comes from God and will fully equip him for service. It is out of place in this context to introduce the note of supposed unreliability of some Scripture. Rather, translating πᾶσ as 'every' emphasizes that the origin of every single element of the OT comes from God.''

https://www.academia.edu/34066370/Ex...imothy_3_16_17
The above reference paper on the exegesis and exposition of 2 Timothy 3:16 is extensive in length, and I have only quoted William Mounces comment.

It is highly biased to dogmatically claim as you did that 2 Timothy 3:16 should be translated as ''All writing which is God-breathed. . .'' when scholars themselves are not unanimous regarding the translation, and very good arguments exist, both textually and grammatically for the proper translation as being 'all (or 'every') Scripture is God-breathed (or inspired)'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
A very scholarly exegesis. Standard form....which basically means that there is NO effort to see what the Spirit of Jesus' promise would show concerning some of the passages which must be included in your wholesale endorsement of a collection of the different perceptions presented over centuries of developing thoughts. You ignore glaring differences and claim a single theme that partisan theologians have jumped through amazing hoops to present as unity. Keep It Simple is a good rule and John did that when he said that all who love are from the God who IS love.
No, I don't ignore those 'glaring differences'. And there's more to life than love. Furthermore, I simply addressed the viewpoints of Greek scholars who are vastly more qualified than you or the OP regarding the translation of 2 Timothy 3:16.

Last edited by Michael Way; 01-24-2019 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-24-2019, 01:22 PM

63,903 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
No, I don't ignore those 'glaring differences'. And there's more to life than love.
For example . . .?????

Old 01-24-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
For example . . .?????
Things such as justice and righteousness; practical matters such as earning a living, taking care of your health, getting an education, etc. You can't live on love alone.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Things such as justice and righteousness; practical matters such as earning a living, taking care of your health, getting an education, etc. You can't live on love alone.
You can be and do all those things while abiding in love.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Did I say that you couldn't? No. I said that there's more to life than love. You can't live on love alone.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:47 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
I don't believe in God because of the bible, I believe in the bible because of God.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Did I say that you couldn't? No. I said that there's more to life than love. You can't live on love alone.
If you think you can attain to the full measure of Christ without it then be my guest.

You can live out of it in all areas of your life and why wouldn't you?.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:46 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Wrong approach, pcamps, the idea is that there really IS no "justice" or "righteousness" WITHOUT love. The problem here is that Mike and others like him CONTRAST those ideas with love instead of seeing how they must operate IN love. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity