Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Neat that you avoided saying, "What if someone tells you..."
Clever.
I would say what I bolded, that's all...I just don't say,
"Bobby ! What if a car swerved in front of you...bla bla"...my mind doesn't do that.
If I was trying out for the Police Academy, then, "What if scenarios would be part of the training..."
It's just that I don't deal in 'what ifs'.

This seems to be a one x ('rare')exp for hljc, for his protection.
Maybe ask him if this happens a lot..."Do they interfere with your climbing onto the roof,
skill sawing wood, making a fire? Has this happened before?"
I would not tell him to stop driving because of this 1 event he told us about. No.
Well, I prefer to live in reality, where what-if scenarios can save lives. Sure, you can say, "I just don't deal with what-if's," but all that tells me, is that you must live one charmed life, because most of us do so on a daily basis. Not because we choose to, but because we have to. Must be nice to be able to live without ever thinking of anything but what is directly in front of you, with no worries about the future, family, job, etc.

Also must be nice for hljc to apparently have the creator of the universe sending signs to save just them, no one else, from having anything bad happen. What it must feel like to be that superior to everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Further, if you are seeing things that aren't there, particularly when performing activities in which such perceptions could be life-threatening to you and/or others, the default should be to get thyself to a medical professional and not just assume these are wonderful visions from God.

If said medical professional cannot find any sign of a break with reality, then maybe one can entertain the thought of having experienced an otherworldly vision, but again, the default should be to get oneself checked out medically.
Exactly, MQ!!

Regardless of people who think this is normal, it isn't. If you are having "visions", signs from God, hallucinations, or anything of the sort, especially while operating a motor vehicle that can easily kill or seriously injure people, you should seek help.

Sorry to Miss Hep, but that is just what I believe on the matter.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:07 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Unfortunately, it's not always easy to understand when one is experiencing a psychotic break.

John Nash was once asked how he with his extremely high level of intelligence could have ever believed aliens were in contact with him through his mind. He said, "It came from the same place the math came from. I had no reason to question the math, so I had no reason to question the messages from the aliens."

It's a fine line.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, it's not always easy to understand when one is experiencing a psychotic break.

John Nash was once asked how he with his extremely high level of intelligence could have ever believed aliens were in contact with him through his mind. He said, "It came from the same place the math came from. I had no reason to question the math, so I had no reason to question the messages from the aliens."

It's a fine line.
It certainly can be.

Unfortunately, with some of my health issues (seizures and memory related issues that stem from them, thankfully, that only last very short term), I have experienced some hallucinations in the past. They are scarily real, and and had me thoroughly freaked out for a little while. Luckily that has not happened any time recently, and once I was back fully conscious and aware, I knew that they were not real. They certainly felt that way at the time though.

I can only imagine if you were to experience something that somehow validated some of your strongly held beliefs, that you would hang onto it for dear life, whether you thought it was real or not.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
What it must feel like to be that superior to everyone else.
It's not superior! Cute you said sorry to me...no need, sis.

I just deliberately buckled-down and changed my whole Thought System in Jan 2006...and it
worked; tried it for 2 weeks and never stopped.
(I had to do something being in a looooong pit of depression over a breakup.)

I do feel care-free and light-hearted, now, yes, I must say...not superior.
I found after trying it...there is truly a Formula to a happy life.
It's no mystery...it's just not many do it.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
It certainly can be.

Unfortunately, with some of my health issues (seizures and memory related issues that stem from them, thankfully, that only last very short term), I have experienced some hallucinations in the past. They are scarily real, and and had me thoroughly freaked out for a little while. Luckily that has not happened any time recently, and once I was back fully conscious and aware, I knew that they were not real. They certainly felt that way at the time though.

I can only imagine if you were to experience something that somehow validated some of your strongly held beliefs, that you would hang onto it for dear life, whether you thought it was real or not.
That is scary. The closest I've had is when taking Vicodin round the clock for a few days after knee surgery. I woke up at 3 in the morning and there were all these people standing around my bed singing. I started to laugh and said out loud "you guys aren't real. I am hallucinating." They all stopped singing and just looked at me, and then they vanished.

I laid off the Vicodin after that.

That is funny, but not funny was when my daughter's bipolar disorder began to manifest. She was not sleeping for days and told me that she was having a hard time distinguishing between what was real and what she had dreamed. She is also highly intelligent and she knew something wasn't right about her thinking. Someone in the condition she was in who was prone to religiosity could easily have believed they were receiving messages from God.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
That is scary. The closest I've had is when taking Vicodin round the clock for a few days after knee surgery. I woke up at 3 in the morning and there were all these people standing around my bed singing. I started to laugh and said out loud "you guys aren't real. I am hallucinating." They all stopped singing and just looked at me, and then they vanished.

I laid off the Vicodin after that.
I have to tell my sister! Happened to her in a classy Rehab place after knee replacement!
Jan this yr.
It was SO scary for her, no singing...I picked her up a week early to get her out of there. Yup, Vicodin!~
Too bad she didn't have Jesus at her bed...now that would cause me to TAKE Vicodin. I've never met him, ya see.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I have to tell my sister! Happened to her in a classy Rehab place after knee replacement!
Jan this yr.
It was SO scary for her, no singing...I picked her up a week early to get her out of there. Yup, Vicodin!~
PTSD can also create illusions. I woke up and "heard" the World Trade Center collapsing in the middle of the night for about a year afterward. You can't really hear on the videos how it sounded. That sound imprinted itself into my bones and my brain.

The worst image of 9/11 that stays with me is that of watching people jumping to their deaths. I watched them, knowing they were just as alive as I was for a few seconds more, and then they would be dead.

Fast forward to around 2014. I was working in Jersey City across the river from the WTC, and I looked out the window and saw people jumping from the newly-built One WTC. I blinked my eyes and they were gone.

My point is that the mind can play a lot of tricks and make things seem as if they are other than they really are. I'm not discounting the possibility of the supernatural and visions, but natural causes should be ruled out first.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
It's not superior! Cute you said sorry to me...no need, sis.
For the record, the superior comment was not directed at you, Miss, but at hljc. I mean, what would you call it, when they believe that God sent whatever it was for the sole purpose of protecting him? Superior is what I would say. You could also say they think they are "special". Whatever words suits you.

If I recall, they are also a JW, and those folks clearly think they are better than everyone else.

Quote:
I just deliberately buckled-down and changed my whole Thought System in Jan 2006...and it
worked; tried it for 2 weeks and never stopped.
(I had to do something being in a looooong pit of depression over a breakup.)

I do feel care-free and light-hearted, now, yes, I must say...not superior.
I found after trying it...there is truly a Formula to a happy life.
It's no mystery...it's just not many do it.
Not many could do it. Sure, if you have a life where you aren't worried about the future, aren't worried about kids, and things like that, then maybe so. Fact is, I can't afford (both literally and figuratively) not to look ahead. I can't afford to ignore what-if's or future possibilities. Would love to be able to, but it just isn't in the cards for most people.

For instance, if someone is worried about paying a bill vs buying something they need at home. You can't just say, "Well, I'll buy this now" and not worry about the bill. Most people would think, "Well, if I buy this now, then I may be stretching it a bit, and might be late on this payment."

For me, I could make more money working a job that isn't "at-home". I can't help but think about the what-if's though. What if I take this job, and have a seizure at work? That would lead to ambulance bills and hospital bills. What if I had to miss any amount of time because of my health? I have been "let go" twice at jobs because of this.

Like I said, it's great if you can live life without any worries, but for most people, that simply isn't an option.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
PTSD can also create illusions. I woke up and "heard" the World Trade Center collapsing in the middle of the night for about a year afterward. You can't really hear on the videos how it sounded. That sound imprinted itself into my bones and my brain.

The worst image of 9/11 that stays with me is that of watching people jumping to their deaths. I watched them, knowing they were just as alive as I was for a few seconds more, and then they would be dead.
Oh no. Speechless. It is good you share this, imo. Thank you...makes so many things small in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity