Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 03:17 AM

3,061 posts, read 914,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Alexander the Great's virgin birth was presented as fact, as well as those of his Ptolemaic successors and Caesar Augustus. Historians of the time wrote about Augustus in this vein. In fact, the term Savior of the World was given to Caesar Augustus along with the account of his virgin birth. The same is true of Buddha. And, in early Christian traditions, Melchizadek.

All of these proclamations of virgin birth, by the way, happened long before Christ was born--and certainly before Christianity began to organize after Christ's crucifixion and resurrection. To me, the most likely scenario is that the chroniclers of Christ's life and ministry on earth simply took the common vernacular of the time and applied it to Jesus, which then became fetishized over the years. To me, the question of virgin birth is trivial and doesn't really affect my Christian beliefs one whit.
So if it can be proven that Jesus was not the product of some supposed virgin birth, and did not pre-exist as some alien life form, who pre-existed the creation of the Boundless cosmos, and who came down to earth some two thousand years ago and entered the womb of some supposed ever virgin, where he created for himself a human like body that was not of the seed of Adam, from which every human who has ever walked this earth is descended, and therefore not under the penalty of Adams sin. A body in which he could walk the earth disguised as a human being, but was in fact, a man born of two human parents, this would not affect your Christian belief one whit?

Am I correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 05:17 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The Jews did not translate the Tanakh, they only translated the Torah...

According to wikipedia the Septuagint was completed about a 100 years before Christ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
Sorry mate, Mary was never a virgin after the act by which she conceived 'Jesus,' the first of her three biological children.

Mary gave birth to other children after Jesus was born, but Joseph did not touch her until Jesus was born.

Matthew 1:25:

And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
The fact that Jesus lived sin free life is what is more important that if he was a born of a virgin of if Joseph was his biological father or not. Its not a sin to be born, so if he had a normal birth like the rest of us, the important part was he didnt sin, and that is how he fulfilled the law.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:49 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
According to wikipedia the Septuagint was completed about a 100 years before Christ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septuagint

Mary gave birth to other children after Jesus was born, but Joseph did not touch her until Jesus was born.

Matthew 1:25:

And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
The seventy elders only translated the Torah...

Old 05-22-2019, 10:10 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The seventy elders only translated the Torah...

Who if not Jews translated the rest, what does it matter if they were elders or not? Whoever translated it, understood the word as to mean virgin about 100 BCE.

BTW I'm not even sure if the Greek word "parthenos" means virgin in a strong medical sense, none the less the virgin birth is clear within the context, whether the word in question means virgin or merely girl.

Greek Word Study Tool

Old 05-22-2019, 10:21 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
Will someone please explain why this is so important to people?
It's like the argument about whether Jesus ever married.
It doesn't change Jesus' teachings at all.
Does his mother being a virgin make him any more or less holy?
I seriously don't get it.
I think the point was simply supposed to be that this was something only God could do.

But I am with you. I personally don't buy the Virgin Birth, but that doesn't change my thoughts about what Christ taught.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Virgin births were fairly common back then. Caesar Augustus, Zoraster, Socrates, Buddha, Alexander the Great, and a half-dozen Egyptian pharaohs were ascribed virgin births before Christ was ever born, not to mention a lot of gods.
^This is one of the reasons I don't buy it.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Alexander the Great's virgin birth was presented as fact, as well as those of his Ptolemaic successors and Caesar Augustus. Historians of the time wrote about Augustus in this vein. In fact, the term Savior of the World was given to Caesar Augustus along with the account of his virgin birth. The same is true of Buddha. And, in early Christian traditions, Melchizadek.

All of these proclamations of virgin birth, by the way, happened long before Christ was born--and certainly before Christianity began to organize after Christ's crucifixion and resurrection. To me, the most likely scenario is that the chroniclers of Christ's life and ministry on earth simply took the common vernacular of the time and applied it to Jesus, which then became fetishized over the years. To me, the question of virgin birth is trivial and doesn't really affect my Christian beliefs one whit.
Ding ding ding.

Danged Episcopalian.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:43 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ding ding ding.

Danged Episcopalian.

Ive heard some TV preachers on TBN even so as far as saying you are not saved if you dont believe in the virgin birth and it is extremely important that you do SMH.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:05 PM

952 posts, read 323,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetriFB View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oepEXJvPoSI

The Jewish Bible proves the virgin birth of Jesus. Ancient Jewish rabbis understood that the Hebrew word almah means a virgin, a young woman, who has not been in a sexual relationship with a man.

The details of the woman & her virgin birth are given by God before Adam & Eve are put out of the Garden of Eden .

" And I will put enmity between thee and the WOMAN , and between thy seed and HER SEED …"
( Genesis 3:15 )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity