Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2022, 11:02 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Do you now want to become a Christian?
Of course not, but I can appreciate any kind of kindness and sincerity, it doesn't matter the source. Here we go again. You want to turn a nice thread into another mud-slinging contest? I remember you.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:03 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
As far as I am concerned, if you want to remain in your faith but not your current choice of churches that might preach about harsher, negative things like a fiery eternal hell - Universalism is worth looking into. It opens your mind to other possibilities while still being a Christian.

That's the pro. I can't say that I really see any cons.
What if one is concerned primarily with discovering what is True, no matter where it leads or how "unpalatable" it may at first seem?

Quote:
I didn't stay with Universalism long but it played a huge part in getting me where I am today.

I posted this before somewhere in this 885 page thread. Universalists like Rose (I think she's a Universalist, my apologies if not) are definitely winning friends and influencing people.
Is "winning friends and influencing people" the highest good that we can hope to achieve?

Old 08-02-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Do you now want to become a Christian?
Quote:
Of course not
Then your claim that Universalism "wins people over" rings hollow.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
You want to turn a nice thread into another mud-slinging contest? I remember you.
I don't see this thread as a mud-slinging contest, but rather a place to debate the topic of Universalism - whether the belief has any merit.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
What if one is concerned primarily with discovering what is True, no matter where it leads or how "unpalatable" it may at first seem?

Is "winning friends and influencing people" the highest good that we can hope to achieve?
You have a very strange and downright ugly way of communicating. I'm not a "I'm abolutely correct and you are so wrong" kind of atheist. If you were honest with yourself and talked to Rose more you might be able to calm yourself.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You have a very strange and downright ugly way of communicating. I'm not a "I'm abolutely correct and you are so wrong" kind of atheist. If you were honest with yourself and talked to Rose more you might be able to calm yourself.
I have conversed with that poster directly, and have found him to be dishonest and not worth my time (see back around pages 558-560ish).

Old 08-02-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Then your claim that Universalism "wins people over" rings hollow.
No it doesn't. It's not Universalism alone that "won me over" it was the general attitude and pleasantness of the Universalists themselves. You seem very angry. Am I disappointing you because I have no argument against Universalism?

I have no problem with any type of religion unless it is violent and full of hatred. It's the proponents of Fundamentalism that I have a problem with. You know, being reasonable and rational is also part of being an atheist. I don't know what you believe because I don't even know if you're an atheist or a Fundie.

From your posts you could be either one.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:19 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,021,446 times
Quote:
As far as I am concerned, if you want to remain in your faith but not your current choice of churches that might preach about harsher, negative things like a fiery eternal hell - Universalism is worth looking into. It opens your mind to other possibilities while still being a Christian.

That's the pro. I can't say that I really see any cons. I didn't stay with Universalism long but it played a huge part in getting me where I am today.

I posted this before somewhere in this 885 page thread. Universalists like Rose (I think she's a Universalist, my apologies if not) are definitely winning friends and influencing people.
My friend: never despair in the road our God is bringing you. It has taken over 65 years for me to realize His ways are past finding out. Just as one begins to reach a plateau, a new horizon within Him begins to break in a brand new day.

Come unto Me & I will make you...

Old 08-02-2022, 11:29 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
Of course not, but I can appreciate any kind of kindness and sincerity, it doesn't matter the source. Here we go again. You want to turn a nice thread into another mud-slinging contest? I remember you.
This thread is the pros and cons of universalism.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't. It's not Universalism alone that "won me over" it was the general attitude and pleasantness of the Universalists themselves. You seem very angry. Am I disappointing you because I have no argument against Universalism?
But you left the Christian universalist community...

Why do I seem angry to you? I don't feel angry. I am also not disappointed.

Are you angry or disappointed? I've found that often those experiencing certain emotions or feelings project them onto others through accusation.

Quote:
You know, being reasonable and rational is also part of being an atheist.
Since atheism is false, it is by definition unreasonable and irrational. Only Truth can rightly be considered reasonable and rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity