Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2022, 01:25 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,385,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Yes. Because not all are children of God, not all believe, not all are in Christ.

We pray for anyone and everyone for whom prayer could possibly be beneficial, whether living or dead.
scripture tells us all soul are his.

So you dont believe prayer is beneficial for all? do you only pray in this life for those who believe? if not why do you stop?

Old 08-29-2022, 06:31 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Reject whatever you want. But to say that eternal torment is false *because* it's allegedly pagan in origin or to simply reject anything on the basis of its pagan origins is disingenuous. It's alleged pagan origins have nothing to do with whether it's true or not.
Eternal torment is false for so many reasons not the least of which is that it takes an extremely evil or damaged soul to resonate with it as something acceptable and reasonable, IMO. Eternal torment can be no part of anything God would ever create and employ for ANY REASON based on its extreme pointlessness and enormous evil. Any soul that resonates with it is unlikely to have become anyone God would want, IMO.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:38 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times
Quote:
Reject whatever you want. But to say that eternal torment is false *because* it's allegedly pagan in origin or to simply reject anything on the basis of its pagan origins is disingenuous. It's alleged pagan origins have nothing to do with whether it's true or not.
Disingenuous? I never said eternal torment was false, those are your words. But you're right, eternal torment IS false. I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to convince people who have found peace and love within a belief that you're right, they're wrong. You're disturbing the Universalists peace. Don't think that your vengeful god would take to kindly to that.

I don't reject things that are plausible, rational, logical or scientific. It's worth looking into if those things apply. Like I said, you are rejecting rational thought and behavior. Selling empty bottles of snake oil.

Oh and don't forget to pray for those dead people.

Last edited by Northsouth; 08-29-2022 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Edit to add

Old 08-29-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
How do you know what is nonsense?
It's in the dictionary.

non·sense
/ˈnänˌsens,ˈnänsəns/
Learn to pronounce
noun
spoken or written words that have no meaning or make no sense.
"he was talking absolute nonsense"

foolish or unacceptable behavior.
"put a stop to that nonsense, will you?"

Old 08-29-2022, 06:45 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Disingenuous? I never said eternal torment was false, those are your words. But you're right, eternal torment IS false. I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to convince people who have found peace and love within a belief that you're right, they're wrong. You're disturbing the peace.

I don't reject things that are plausible, rational, logical or scientific. It's worth looking into if those things apply. Like I said, you are rejecting rational thought and behavior. Selling empty bottles of snake oil.
This thread is both sides of the issue. No one is disturbing anything.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
It's in the dictionary.

non·sense
/ˈnänˌsens,ˈnänsəns/
Learn to pronounce
noun
spoken or written words that have no meaning or make no sense.
"he was talking absolute nonsense"

foolish or unacceptable behavior.
"put a stop to that nonsense, will you?"
I’m familiar with the definition. I want to know how you decide what is nonsensical.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
This thread is both sides of the issue. No one is disturbing anything.
You are. This thread is concerning anyone who wants to Ask an Atheist a question, talk about themselves or why they believe or don't believe. Not for petty arguments of something that has been beaten to death in other threads, which is where their arguments belong.

Now if you'll excuse me, I don't have time for your NONSENSE anymore. Your one line comments are less than thrilling and not worth commenting on any longer.

You're the one-liner non-comedy (nowhere near it) nonsense agitator that I was speaking of.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
You are. This thread is concerning anyone who wants to Ask an Atheist a question, talk about themselves or why they believe or don't believe. Not for petty arguments of something that has been beaten to death in other threads, which is where their arguments belong.

Now if you'll excuse me, I don't have time for your NONSENSE anymore. Your one line comments are less than thrilling and not worth commenting on any longer.

You're the one-liner non-comedy (nowhere near it) nonsense agitator that I was speaking of.
This is the universalism thread.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
This is the universalism thread.
See, there's what happens when there are agitators in every thread. What I said still stands.

Last edited by Northsouth; 08-29-2022 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Edit to add

Old 08-29-2022, 08:04 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
scripture tells us all soul are his.
Indeed they are. Nothing is outside God's jurisdiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
So you dont believe prayer is beneficial for all? do you only pray in this life for those who believe? if not why do you stop?
Prayer cannot benefit someone who is already in heaven or hell. We can't know where someone is after they die with very few exceptions, so we pray for them. If they are in purgatory, our prayers can assist them.

If someone is still living, we should of course pray for them because there is always hope for their salvation as long as they have breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity