Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2022, 02:48 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
But you basically said that Jesus' story makes no sense.
Nope. Go back and re-read what I wrote.

Quote:
Because it should be clear that Jesus taught that calling someone raca would only result in danger of the council while calling someone a fool would put someone in danger of hell fire.
Do you know in that very same passage, Jesus finally says this:

Matt 5:26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
This is consistent with what I said.
OK

Old 06-21-2022, 03:18 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,841,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Nope. Go back and re-read what I wrote.
I read it...you basically are telling us that what Jesus said makes no sense.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I read it...you basically are telling us that what Jesus said makes no sense.
Jesus makes perfect sense, but the KJV translator in Matt 5:22 makes no sense. This is one of the easiest mistranslations to see.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Jesus makes perfect sense, but the KJV translator in Matt 5:22 makes no sense. This is one of the easiest mistranslations to see.
I don't see the kjv translator as making no sense.

Perhaps you could elaborate on why you think he doesn't make any sense.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:29 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Quote:
I'm not sure where you are getting that.

But the way I see it is explained in the next few verses by Jesus.

Its better to resolve your disputes quickly, otherwise they could escalate and get worse, and could potentially lead to death (for if you were thrown into the valley, its because you were dead, or soon to be).

Matt 5
25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.
The problem is context

Because Mike is a Roman Catholic you would have to do a bit of reading regarding Catholic doctrine to see where he is getting his view and perspective from

JBF on the other hand is Pentecostal

Every ‘assembly’ or part has their own teachers or guardians or whatever they need relevant to their place and this is where we get the different ‘gentile’ or denominational perspectives from and that is by design

In any kingdom there are many different positions, levels, layers, etc and it is no different in the kingdom of God

1Co 4:5**Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
1Co 4:6**And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.
1Co 4:7**For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?
1Co 4:8**Now ye are full, now ye are rich, ye have reigned as kings without us: and I would to God ye did reign, that we also might reign with you.
1Co 4:9**For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men.
1Co 4:10**We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised.
1Co 4:11**Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace;
1Co 4:12**And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it:
1Co 4:13**Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.
1Co 4:14**I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you.
1Co 4:15**For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
1Co 4:16**Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.
1Co 4:17**For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.
1Co 4:18**Now some are puffed up, as though I would not come to you.
1Co 4:19**But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will, and will know, not the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power.
1Co 4:20**For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power.
1Co 4:21**What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?

Eph 4:1**I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
Eph 4:2**With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
Eph 4:3**Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Eph 4:4**There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
Eph 4:5**One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6**One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Eph 4:7**But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

1Co 12:18**But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
1Co 12:19**And if they were all one member, where were the body?
1Co 12:20**But now are they many members, yet but one body.
1Co 12:21**And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

1Co 12:27**Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
1Co 12:28**And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

1Co 12:29**Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30**Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
1Co 12:31**But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
JBF on the other hand is Pentecostal
More specifically, charismatic.

I currently attend a Calvary Chapel.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
More specifically, charismatic.

I currently attend a Calvary Chapel.
I’m unaffiliated

The design is - Some in the body, some out of the body

The Inner/outer

Old 06-21-2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Why would being purified be considered danger to Jesus Christ ? You not making sense, not even common sense.
I didn’t say that being purified is a danger to Jesus Christ - if we do not get ‘reformed’ we are not able to be used in the service of Gods kingdom

Part of the problem is mixing the metaphors and speaking past each other and not comparing comparable things

Metal is purified by fire, and coins are minted (pennies) and also fire is used in Scripture to describe the burning of dead tree limbs

The purification of people is about our behaviours and also our intentions and motivations

Literal individual human beings are not going to be eternally tormented in any literal or figurative fire

Old 06-21-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Literal individual human beings are not going to be eternally tormented in any literal or figurative fire
A lie from the pit.

Those who do not take warning will not take heed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity