Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 12:25 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,135,457 times

Advertisements

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. Ephesians 5:1-2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 12:44 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,464,554 times
5:3. and whoredom, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as becometh saints;

Old 10-17-2019, 12:47 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,464,554 times
And here’s the most interesting bit:

5:4 also filthiness, and foolish talking, or jesting, -- the things not fit -- but rather thanksgiving;

The author contrasts the things he believes people should not talk about with giving thanks.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:13 PM

37,348 posts, read 28,459,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
5:3. and whoredom, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as becometh saints;
Yet they are always talking about this on here. They are the promoters of that which they speak out against and they’re blind to it.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:45 PM

11,994 posts, read 3,820,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. Ephesians 5:1-2
We should all strive for this in all our dealings

Unfortunately we can be dragged into things that do not show that love

Old 10-17-2019, 02:27 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,194,594 times
Paul says we are to follow him as he follows Christ.....in Paul's day Christ had already returned to heaven so you couldn't follow Him from an earthly standpoint

1Co 11:1 Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

1Co 4:15 For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
1Co 4:16 I urge you, then, be imitators of me.

Php 3:17 Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.
Php 3:18 For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:49 PM

11,994 posts, read 3,820,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Paul says we are to follow him as he follows Christ.....in Paul's day Christ had already returned to heaven so you couldn't follow Him from an earthly standpoint

1Co 11:1 Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

1Co 4:15 For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
1Co 4:16 I urge you, then, be imitators of me.

Php 3:17 Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.
Php 3:18 For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ.
The cross represents self-sacrifice and not following the desires and lusts of the flesh ie

Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another; lest whatever you may will, these things you do.
Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under Law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are clearly revealed, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lustfulness,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, fightings, jealousies, angers, rivalries, divisions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 envyings, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and things like these; of which I tell you beforehand, as I also said before, that the ones practicing such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

It is about following the spirit which has these fruits

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 meekness, self-control. Against such things there is not a law.

Gal 5:24 But the ones belonging to Christ crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:26 Let us not become vainglorious, provoking one another, envying one another.

The problem is thinking the scriptures are about literal, historical events

The writings attributed to the “apostle” Paul are by revelation.... we are not to look back and cling to the words in the writings of our mothers/fathers

Old 10-17-2019, 02:52 PM

33,406 posts, read 26,728,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The cross represents self-sacrifice and not following the desires and lusts of the flesh ie

Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another; lest whatever you may will, these things you do.
Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under Law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are clearly revealed, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lustfulness,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, fightings, jealousies, angers, rivalries, divisions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 envyings, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and things like these; of which I tell you beforehand, as I also said before, that the ones practicing such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

It is about following the spirit which has these fruits

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 meekness, self-control. Against such things there is not a law.

Gal 5:24 But the ones belonging to Christ crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Gal 5:26 Let us not become vainglorious, provoking one another, envying one another.

The problem is thinking the scriptures are about literal, historical events

The writings attributed to the “apostle” Paul are by revelation.... we are not to look back and cling to the words in the writings of our mothers/fathers
Don't you believe that the resurrection of Jesus was a literal, historical event?

Old 10-17-2019, 03:07 PM

3,852 posts, read 1,420,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
and since Paul is now gone who did Paul lay hands on for us to follow?

Old 10-17-2019, 03:22 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,135,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
and since Paul is now gone who did Paul lay hands on for us to follow?
That's why he wrote letters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity