Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 06:08 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times

Advertisements

Matt. 13:10-13

"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand."

The Lord presents two different classifications of people here. Those who really want to know God's way, and those who were just curious of His way.

This is the dividing line of those who want righteousness and those who don't.

For those who want righteousness the Lord will give more righteousness, those who have no desire for it will lose what little they have.

This is referring to hearing the Gospel of Christ and receiving or rejecting it.

Those who receive Christ will increase in righteousness, and just the opposite for those who reject Him.

So what determines whether one will understand the truth the scripture teaches?

Prov. 1:23

"Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you."

When we truly repent and turn from our unrighteousness, the Holy Spirit is given to us and He will teach us the truth in Christ. Your eyes will be opened to the truth in scripture and He will guide you in that truth.

Of the two classifications of people that Christ presented, which one are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 06:21 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post

"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand."

The Lord presents two different classifications of people here. Those who really want to know God's way, and those who were just curious of His way.

For those who want righteousness the Lord will give more righteousness, those who have no desire for it will lose what little they have.

This is referring to hearing the Gospel of Christ and receiving or rejecting it.

Those who receive Christ will increase in righteousness, and just the opposite for those who reject Him.

"Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you."

When we truly repent and turn from our unrighteousness, the Holy Spirit is given to us and He will teach us the truth in Christ. Your eyes will be opened to the truth in scripture and He will guide you in that truth.

You have a wrong understanding of why Jesus spoke in parables.

A parable is a “dark saying”
Jesus is the “light”
A parable by itself stays hidden in the “darkness”, but when the “light” comes, the parable is understood.
Therefore, when Jesus (who is the light) spoke in parables it was to bring into light that which was once in darkness.
Look at all the times in scripture Jesus spoke a parable and the Scribes and the Pharisees perceived that He spoke it of them. These were not humble men, but proud and haughty men and the parable Jesus spoke opened their eyes to the truth.
A parable is to bring to light that which was in darkness.

Matthew 13:34-35
34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them: 35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.
If this scripture is true then the thought that Jesus spoke in parables to hide the secrets CANNOT be correct.
A parable is something that is used to set side by side with the truth in order to illuminate the truth. It is not set side by side with the truth in order to hide the truth.
Jesus being the truth and the light can only speak truth and light, therefore He does not hide the light in a parable He uses a parable to illuminate the light.
So let’s set side by side the KJV and Young’s literal (YL) and see if we can understand if these parables were to illuminate or to hide the meaning.

KJV
Matthew 13:10-23
10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

YL
10 And the disciples having come near, said to him, `Wherefore in similes dost thou speak to them?'

This is pretty plain; the disciples are asking Jesus why He spoke unto the multitudes in parables.

KJV
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

YL
11 And he answering said to them that -- `To you it hath been given to know the secrets of the reign of the heavens, and to these it hath not been given,

Jesus answer to the question is The Child of God knows the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven and to those who are without it has not been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus did not speak the parables so the child of God would know the mysteries of the kingdom of Heaven, He spoke in parables so that those without could understand the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven.
To put it in our everyday language
Why do you speak to them in parables? Because they do not know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus spoke the parables that they might know the mysteries, as the mysteries were already given to the child of God.

This is brought out more fully here

KJV
12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

YL
12 for whoever hath, it shall be given to him, and he shall have overabundance, and whoever hath not, even that which he hath shall be taken from him. 13 `Because of this, in similes do I speak to them, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor understand,

Jesus continues to explain why He speaks to them in parables.
The question is still why do you speak to them in parables.
Jesus answer is because they seeing do not see and hearing do not hear, nor understand.

To put it in our everyday language.
Why do you speak to them in parables? Because they do not know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven and because they seeing do not see and they hearing do not hear, nor understand.

Jesus is NOT saying He speaks in parables so that those seeing would not see and those hearing would not hear. He IS saying He speaks in parables because they do not see, hear or understand.

Jesus is bringing to light those things they do not understand.

KJV
14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 15 For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

YL
14 and fulfilled on them is the prophecy of Isaiah, that saith, With hearing ye shall hear, and ye shall not understand, and seeing ye shall see, and ye shall not perceive, 15 for made gross was the heart of this people, and with the ears they heard heavily, and their eyes they did close, lest they might see with the eyes, and with the ears might hear, and with the heart understand, and turn back, and I might heal them.

These scriptures are misunderstood by those who believe Jesus spoke in parables in order to hide His message.

Their understanding goes something like this.
Jesus hides the truth in parables so that the multitudes would NOT turn to Him, would not be converted and so could not be healed.

This understanding is in total disregards to what Jesus said why He spoke to the multitudes in parables. It is also in disregards to His purpose in coming into the world to save everyone in it.

What those scriptures are saying is that Isaiah prophesied that the multitudes in Jesus day would be hearing, and not hear, seeing, and not see because their heart had waxed gross. Jesus is saying because of these things, the heart waxing gross, the heavy ears, the closed eyes is the reason He had to speak to them in parables.

Why do you speak to them in parables? Because they do not know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven and because they seeing do not see and they hearing do not hear, nor understand.

This all comes to a head here the accumulation of what was said regarding the reason Jesus spoke in parables.

KJV
34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them: 35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

YL
' 34 All these things spake Jesus in similes to the multitudes, and without a simile he was not speaking to them, 35 that it might be fulfilled that was spoken through the prophet, saying, `I will open in similes my mouth, I will utter things having been hidden from the foundation of the world.'

So the answer to whys Jesus spoke in parables is this.
Because they do not know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven and because they seeing do not see and they hearing do not hear, nor understand. I open my mouth in parables to utter things that have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Jesus did not utter parables to keep hidden the secrets, but to illuminate the secrets that were hidden from the foundation of the world.

Old 06-26-2021, 07:07 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
You have a wrong understanding of why Jesus spoke in parables.

A parable is a “dark saying”
Jesus is the “light”
A parable by itself stays hidden in the “darkness”, but when the “light” comes, the parable is understood.
Therefore, when Jesus (who is the light) spoke in parables it was to bring into light that which was once in darkness.
Look at all the times in scripture Jesus spoke a parable and the Scribes and the Pharisees perceived that He spoke it of them. These were not humble men, but proud and haughty men and the parable Jesus spoke opened their eyes to the truth.
A parable is to bring to light that which was in darkness.

Matthew 13:34-35
If this scripture is true then the thought that Jesus spoke in parables to hide the secrets CANNOT be correct.
A parable is something that is used to set side by side with the truth in order to illuminate the truth. It is not set side by side with the truth in order to hide the truth.
Jesus being the truth and the light can only speak truth and light, therefore He does not hide the light in a parable He uses a parable to illuminate the light.
So let’s set side by side the KJV and Young’s literal (YL) and see if we can understand if these parables were to illuminate or to hide the meaning.

KJV
Matthew 13:10-23
10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

YL
10 And the disciples having come near, said to him, `Wherefore in similes dost thou speak to them?'

This is pretty plain; the disciples are asking Jesus why He spoke unto the multitudes in parables.

KJV
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

YL
11 And he answering said to them that -- `To you it hath been given to know the secrets of the reign of the heavens, and to these it hath not been given,

Jesus answer to the question is The Child of God knows the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven and to those who are without it has not been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus did not speak the parables so the child of God would know the mysteries of the kingdom of Heaven, He spoke in parables so that those without could understand the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven.
To put it in our everyday language
Why do you speak to them in parables? Because they do not know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus spoke the parables that they might know the mysteries, as the mysteries were already given to the child of God.

This is brought out more fully here

KJV
12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

YL
12 for whoever hath, it shall be given to him, and he shall have overabundance, and whoever hath not, even that which he hath shall be taken from him. 13 `Because of this, in similes do I speak to them, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor understand,

Jesus continues to explain why He speaks to them in parables.
The question is still why do you speak to them in parables.
Jesus answer is because they seeing do not see and hearing do not hear, nor understand.

To put it in our everyday language.

Jesus is NOT saying He speaks in parables so that those seeing would not see and those hearing would not hear. He IS saying He speaks in parables because they do not see, hear or understand.

Jesus is bringing to light those things they do not understand.

KJV
14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 15 For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

YL
14 and fulfilled on them is the prophecy of Isaiah, that saith, With hearing ye shall hear, and ye shall not understand, and seeing ye shall see, and ye shall not perceive, 15 for made gross was the heart of this people, and with the ears they heard heavily, and their eyes they did close, lest they might see with the eyes, and with the ears might hear, and with the heart understand, and turn back, and I might heal them.

These scriptures are misunderstood by those who believe Jesus spoke in parables in order to hide His message.

Their understanding goes something like this.
Jesus hides the truth in parables so that the multitudes would NOT turn to Him, would not be converted and so could not be healed.

This understanding is in total disregards to what Jesus said why He spoke to the multitudes in parables. It is also in disregards to His purpose in coming into the world to save everyone in it.

What those scriptures are saying is that Isaiah prophesied that the multitudes in Jesus day would be hearing, and not hear, seeing, and not see because their heart had waxed gross. Jesus is saying because of these things, the heart waxing gross, the heavy ears, the closed eyes is the reason He had to speak to them in parables.

This all comes to a head here the accumulation of what was said regarding the reason Jesus spoke in parables.

KJV

YL
' 34 All these things spake Jesus in similes to the multitudes, and without a simile he was not speaking to them, 35 that it might be fulfilled that was spoken through the prophet, saying, `I will open in similes my mouth, I will utter things having been hidden from the foundation of the world.'

So the answer to whys Jesus spoke in parables is this.
Because they do not know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven and because they seeing do not see and they hearing do not hear, nor understand. I open my mouth in parables to utter things that have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Jesus did not utter parables to keep hidden the secrets, but to illuminate the secrets that were hidden from the foundation of the world.
Of course I have a wrong understanding, Charlie is wrong about everything according to pneuma.

Old 06-26-2021, 07:24 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:

Jesus said that he was teaching mysteries, the rule still is that mysteries is not available to those who is not spiritually ready.
11"About this we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. 12For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, 13for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. 14But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil."
Dogma does not work well with 'solid food'. This is why Jesus separated people in two categories.
6"Yet among the mature we do impart wisdom,"

Old 06-26-2021, 07:35 AM

1,001 posts, read 789,762 times
151:1.3 (1689.1) The apostles and those who were with them, when they heard Jesus teach the people in this manner, were greatly perplexed; and after much talking among themselves, that evening in the Zebedee garden Matthew said to Jesus: “Master, what is the meaning of the dark sayings which you present to the multitude? Why do you speak in parables to those who seek the truth?” And Jesus answered:

151:1.4 (1689.2) “In patience have I instructed you all this time. To you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to the undiscerning multitudes and to those who seek our destruction, from now on, the mysteries of the kingdom shall be presented in parables. And this we will do so that those who really desire to enter the kingdom may discern the meaning of the teaching and thus find salvation, while those who listen only to ensnare us may be the more confounded in that they will see without seeing and will hear without hearing. My children, do you not perceive the law of the spirit which decrees that to him who has shall be given so that he shall have an abundance; but from him who has not shall be taken away even that which he has. Therefore will I henceforth speak to the people much in parables to the end that our friends and those who desire to know the truth may find that which they seek, while our enemies and those who love not the truth may hear without understanding. Many of these people follow not in the way of the truth. The prophet did, indeed, describe all such undiscerning souls when he said: ‘For this people’s heart has waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed lest they should discern the truth and understand it in their hearts.’”

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...es%22#U151_1_4

Old 06-26-2021, 07:47 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Of course I have a wrong understanding, Charlie is wrong about everything according to pneuma.
You are having a difficult time with seeing, hearing, and understanding.

Old 06-26-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
well if you are correct charlie show me where I am wrong.

Old 06-26-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
maybe we should start talking to him in parables.

Old 06-26-2021, 08:40 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:

Ah, Charlie, you are not far off. It is the misguided "precepts and doctrines of men" that tell you it is believing all they say ABOUT Jesus and God is how the Holy Spirit comes to you and guides you. It is not. It is the story of His undeserved brutal treatment and death to save us from our savagery (sinfulness) that evokes the state of mind of agape love (mercy, compassion, etc.) described and demonstrated by Jesus that brings the Holy Spirit to your consciousness to guide you.

Old 06-26-2021, 08:41 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
maybe we should start talking to him in parables.
I don't think that will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity