Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 10:24 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, I believe you're referring to the prophecy of Isaiah. The Hebrew word refers to a young maiden, who would be a virgin. The term does not mean "virgin", but it refers to a young maiden who would be a virgin.

This is kind of strange claim. I read from either the ESV or NASB, both of which were translated from the Greek and Hebrew texts of about 2000 years ago.

Were you confused and thinking the KJV that was translated from a different set of texts in 1611?
The Bible was rewritten in the 1400s by emperor Constantine's priests, that is a historical fact. Several books were thrown out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 11:06 AM

11,512 posts, read 6,027,599 times
Quote:
Yes. The Bible is absolute. But no, these statements were not made to all men. They were made to men and women living under a specific covenant at a specific time.

So, these statements are absolutely binding to any orthodox Jew who lives under the Mosaic Law. But thankfully, the Mosaic Law has been fulfilled by Jesus, who obeyed it 100% and then died on the cross to give righteousness to those that have faith in him.

I'm obedient to those things by virtue of my faith in Jesus, who did obey them.
I thought Paul said that any man circumcized is automatically under Mosaic Law. He said to not get circumsized unless you want to be held to the entire Law.

Or did I get that wrong?

In fact, Paul says we are severed from Christ and Christ is no advantage to us.

Warning Against Circumcision

2 Now I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. 3 I testify again to every man who receives circumcision that he is bound to keep the whole law. 4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit, by faith, we wait for the hope of righteousness. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is of any avail, but faith working through love.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...galatians.html

Old 08-10-2021, 11:24 AM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The Bible was rewritten in the 1400s by emperor Constantine's priests, that is a historical fact. Several books were thrown out.
LOL

Bro.

I can't even.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:26 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,093,125 times
Quote:
The Bible is inspired and without error in the original texts. We believe it to be without error and we follow it as the original author intended.
So
IF You follow it as intended (and no excuse of "Oh we don't follow that part..."...."Then why is it in there?" ...)
I ask

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbsMZecRgbI

The fact is, the ancient writings of the Bible, the stories that tribesmen used to explain the world around them, that were told to unite and educate a tribe in beliefs and myths, were not even penned until long after they were told.

The supposed Greek manuscripts? well, The 4 gospels were not written until 50 to as late as 100 years AFTER Jesus' died....and they were not written by eyewitnesses, nor are they even in agreement with each other.

Then there is Paul. Paul clearly suffered from mental illness (based on his writings) and we know that the type of epilepsy he had causes seizures which manifest EXACTLY as he reported....bright lights and voices.

So you are telling me that you are willing to live your life based on what someone wrote as the result of a hallucinations?

Some might point to a few good pearls of wisdom in the Bible.....there are a few good ideas in it. But the same can be said for the Writings of John Keats or Ayn Arnd, who often used drugs in conjunction with writing, sort of like the author of the Bible's Revelation, which in my opinion, is garbage.

In the end, I have always said that anyone who has a relationship or needs a book to understand the world, or to define the world, is simply not capable of deeper thought, including reason and rationality, as any literate person can quote other's words, and copy other's opinions, but the truly great and truly higher person is the one who can formulate his own

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 08-10-2021 at 11:48 AM..

Old 08-10-2021, 11:29 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Oh, good grief. No it is NOT a historical fact. Constantine did not determine which NT books were to be a part of the Canon. First of all, the issue of which books should be part of the NT canon was never addressed at the Council of Nicea.

Twenty-one of the NT books which we have in our present NT were a part of the canon long before Constantine was ever born. What Constantine did was to order and finance the production of 50 copies of the New Testament. But he had no say as to which books were to be a part of the those 50 copies and no previously accepted canonical book was omitted. Now some 60 years after Constantine's death a council did acknowledge NT books which had already been accepted as part of the canon.

Where do you people come up with this crap? Oh yes . . .the internet and Dan Brown's De Vinci Code.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:52 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,093,125 times
Here is a very concise and very accurate commentary on why many of us DO NOT believe that the Bible is the "Word of GOD" nor "Absolute"
When I was involved in various Christian denominations, I often pointed out that the Bible was not the "Word of God" and gave similar reasons....I also pointed out that many people in churches have NO IDEA of the Bible's Origins......like Floorist

And as mentioned in the video, many people DO NOT care, they want to believe and follow it anyway...AND that is OK BY ME so long as they do not use it to infringe on my rights or the human rights of others.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VxE7OOl6Qo

Old 08-10-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
LOL

Bro.

I can't even.
Does the truth hurt?

Old 08-10-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Oh, good grief. No it is NOT a historical fact. Constantine did not determine which NT books were to be a part of the Canon. First of all, the issue of which books should be part of the NT canon was never addressed at the Council of Nicea.

Twenty-one of the NT books which we have in our present NT were a part of the canon long before Constantine was ever born. What Constantine did was to order and finance the production of 50 copies of the New Testament. But he had no say as to which books were to be a part of the those 50 copies and no previously accepted canonical book was omitted. Now some 60 years after Constantine's death a council did acknowledge NT books which had already been accepted as part of the canon.

Where do you people come up with this crap? Oh yes . . .the internet and Dan Brown's De Vinci Code.
No, from historical documents. Mostly read in a religion class.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:06 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Jde 1:14, And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
Jde 1:15, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
Jde 1:16, These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

Many of the verses in the OT were given in light of the cultures of that day and in the New Testament, we find that the Old Testament law has in fact been abolished and does not any longer apply to us today (2 Corinthians 3:13-14, Hebrews 8:13).

While, if we hold to the principles of the Old Testament and teach even the least of these commandments, we will be called great in the kingdom (Matthew 5:17-20); yet it should be clear that in the New Testament we have been made dead to the law and have been delivered from the law so that we might not any longer live according to the oldness of the letter but by the newness of the spirit (Romans 7:4-6).

This has to do with bearing the fruit of the Spirit which is the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law (Galatians 5:22-23, Romans 8:4).

The law was given as a set of do's and don'ts that define the morality of the Lord in light of the culture of the day that it was given in. Much of it is timeless while other aspects of it apply to the culture of that day. For example, it was not the intention of the Lord to abolish slavery at the time that the law was given so He gave regulations applying to it so that it would be a moral institution. He would work to abolish slavery at a later time. It is written somewhere in 1 or 2 Chronicles that there was a certain war and that it was "of God" because there were many causalities on both sides. I believe that this applies to the Civil War; and that the outcome of that war (the abolition of slavery) was indeed of God. But God did not abolish slavery at the time that Israel was fighting other nations because the results would have only applied to Israel and would not have had the far-ranging effects that it has today in the way that the Lord finally dealt with that problem in the nations.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:24 PM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Is the Bible absolute?

Yes it's absolute - but on what basis?

If people are going to judge the Bible based on a law or two, or a small snipet here and there without any context, then there will be no hope of understanding the true purpose of the Bible.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 08-10-2021 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity