Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 11:52 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,323,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
NONSENSE!

Man is a rebel, but the Father of all fathers demands no such thing.

Perhaps you are unaware of who made mankind "subject to futility not willingly" ?
Talk about a disconnect from scripture!

Thou knowest not what thou sayest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 01:21 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
God gives up nothing.

You said anger is the result of not getting our way.

God, at any time, can take the reigns of any situation and any person. But He does allow us some free will. And we will sin. And He doesn't like it. But He allows it to occur. We works it into the entirety of His plan.

Christ innocently died as part of God's predetermined plan (Acts 2:23). God worked through that evil and accomplished a greater good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Yes

If I read this right, part of the time we are under God's control, but then sometimes God lets us take the wheel and drive. When this happens we sometimes drive badly - steer the car in a direction God didn't want it to go, so to speak - - and it angers Him. That implies, doesn't it, that God didn't know we would drive badly? - - that the car smashing through the guardrail was never part of the divine plan unfolding in the world?

If something like that can happen - - if events can disturb His plans, then he doesn't know the future. Maybe that is because he voluntarily surrenders His omniscience and gives man the Godlike power of determining the course of future events.

But then, he does know the future, doesn't he?
The majority of the time we are operating as free individuals. God is able to at any time change us (see Nebuchadnezzar - Daniel 4), or send an evil spirit our way (1 Samuel 16). That's all I am saying with regards to God's control. The majority of the time, we are operating by our free will and choices.

God knows all that will happen.

Example - God told Abraham that His descendants would be enslaved for 400 years and would be delivered from that slavery (Genesis 15:13). So everything that took place (both good and bad) that led to God's statement being true had to work itself out according to God's timing. That includes Joseph's brothers burying him in a pit, and selling him off to the Egyptians, and them lying to their dad about what happened. It included Joseph being unfairly put in prison for years. God doesn't endorse lying, and bearing false witness and wrongful imprisonment - but it was allowed to occur and God's used it to meet His promise to Abraham.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:07 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
God takes no pleasure in rath. But man's rebellion demands it.

Evidently the will of the created trumps the Will of the Creator.

If you have heard that the heathen who have never had an opportunity to hear of Jesus Christ will be tormented forever for not believing in Him, then you've heard that God is a failure. If you've heard that man's puny will can withstand the omnipotent will of God, and that man's will can paralyze God's will, then you have heard that God is a failure.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:03 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
God takes no pleasure in rath.
But man's rebellion demands it.
Um... first off, it's "wrath," not "rath" (maybe it was just a typo; I've made many of them myself). And why does man's rebellion demand it? How on earth is God threatened by man's rebellion? Does God say, "I'm God. Therefore I MUST punish anyone who disobeys me"?

Old 08-26-2021, 03:08 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
NONSENSE!
Man is a rebel, but the Father of all fathers demands no such thing.
Perhaps you are unaware of who made mankind "subject to futility not willingly" ?
I must confess that before my big breakthrough insight about Jesus doing as a human what we could not do, I wrestled with interpreting this particular verse using the agape love of God. Many of the OT verses presented this difficulty, but I could usually find the correct reinterpretation of what was being said. This one eluded me for quite a while until I realized that it is our impotence in the face of the many obstacles and frustrations that this world presents that is the futility we are subject to but not willingly. It is by overcoming and enduring that we develop our spirits to maturity.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I must confess that before my big breakthrough insight about Jesus doing as a human what we could not do, I wrestled with interpreting this particular verse using the agape love of God. Many of the OT verses presented this difficulty, but I could usually find the correct reinterpretation of what was being said. This one eluded me for quite a while until I realized that it is our impotence in the face of the many obstacles and frustrations that this world presents that is the futility we are subject to but not willingly. It is by overcoming and enduring that we develop our spirits to maturity.
Big breakthroughs have an amazing result in the revelation of our God into us. Those breakthroughs are the entranceway to change and transformation, and moving from elementary aspects of Father's purposes to mature sons, not children merely but stature (maturity).

Spiritual maturity is not reached by the passing of the years, but by obedience to the will of God. -Oswald Chambers

Old 08-26-2021, 10:47 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
That God has wrath, anger, and justice against sin is clear in just a few verses.

Nah 1:2, God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth wrath for his enemies.
Nah 1:3, The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

Psa 5:5, The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
Psa 5:6, Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.

Psa 7:11, God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.
It is clear to me that those here who deny that God has wrath against sin, do so in denial of the teachings of holy scripture.

I suppose that it is inevitable but that there should be unbelievers or non-believers who post on boards such as this one.

I will continue to post holy scripture for the sakes of those who believe it to be the inspired word of the Lord.

Those who don't believe in holy scripture, perhaps the scripture will nevertheless operate as a sword or scalpel (Hebrews 4:12) to cut away at the cancer of false doctrine even in their hearts.

For it is written that the word of God will never return void (Isaiah 55:10-11).

At the very least, false doctrine is not going to have sway in the hearts of those here who believe in the word of God; at least, not on my watch.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
It is clear to me that those here who deny that God has wrath against sin, do so in denial of the teachings of holy scripture.

I suppose that it is inevitable but that there should be unbelievers or non-believers who post on boards such as this one.

I will continue to post holy scripture for the sakes of those who believe it to be the inspired word of the Lord.

Those who don't believe in holy scripture, perhaps the scripture will nevertheless operate as a sword or scalpel (Hebrews 4:12) to cut away at the cancer of false doctrine even in their hearts.

For it is written that the word of God will never return void (Isaiah 55:10-11).

At the very least, false doctrine is not going to have sway in the hearts of those here who believe in the word of God; at least, not on my watch.
What you are preaching against is people such as yourself, but you are too ignorant to realize that!

Old 08-27-2021, 02:52 AM

614 posts, read 173,215 times
This is going to seem wholly strange, but I have a question. What if every time you were lazy you ceased to exist? That you had to have purpose, and be engaged in it, to exist. Otherwise, you ceased to exist.

The answer, I think, pertains to this question. The hint is that God doesn't cease to exist for being God in all of those areas I don't understand. He doesn't cease to exist for resting, if He does. I don't think He is making us to cease to exist when we rest either.

Old 08-27-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What you are preaching against is people such as yourself, but you are too ignorant to realize that!
The would be teacher and his trainee are blind and deaf and so slow they realize it not.

"Suffering, failure, loneliness, sorrow, discouragement, and death will be part of your journey, but the Kingdom of God will conquer all these horrors. No evil can resist grace forever." ~Brennan Manning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity