Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 642 times

Advertisements

Do you think Moses wrote the Torah? This video explains why it's unlikely from a scholarly perspective. However, I'd love to hear your opinions - is it something that is important to you? Why or why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqHmv4eO530
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 03:16 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
Yes Moses did not dictate all the Words of the five books of the Pentateuch as He was a prophet of God, and was there to tell what God said and Moses did have authority to give penalties for the offences against God command wrote in these books, Even the verse Psalms 91 came from Moses

Old 10-25-2021, 05:56 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ckz0r View Post
Do you think Moses wrote the Torah? This video explains why it's unlikely from a scholarly perspective. However, I'd love to hear your opinions - is it something that is important to you? Why or why not?

Jehovah's witnesses believe Moses penned Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Job, attributed to penning 1 Psalm the 91st. Keep in mind, Jehovah is the author 2 Tim 3:16

Old 10-25-2021, 08:00 AM

1,196 posts, read 754,538 times
Quote:
understand, just because someone calls themselves a "Scholar." doesn't mean that they are always 100% right in their findings. Moses compiled the Torah, which he was given this revelation of Jehovah God. he did write down ALL that Jehovah either wanted or allowed him to write. it was Moses who Jehovah used to get his people out of Egypt. they needed Spiritual Laws of God to follow. NOT those of who they only knew... the Egyptians, and maybe other nations. who's Laws conflicted with how Jehovah felt.

they knew little if any of what the God of Israel expects of them. so what better Man to use than Moses. Moses completed these books in this order.. Genesis in the wilderness of Sinai in 1513 B.C.E., Exodus and Leviticus in 1512. Numbers was starting in Sinai and ending on the Plains of Moab, from 1512-1473. it took over 38 years to complete. Deuteronomy was also written on the Plains of Moab in 1473 B.C.E. right before the Israelites entered the Land Jehovah God promise their forefathers. peace

Old 10-25-2021, 09:27 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:

No. While Moses may have written some of it scholars have long known from the evidence within the Torah itself that Moses could not have written all of it. And there are clear indications that editorial updating and editing has taken place.

It's important to me because it's important to let the Bible be what it is and not try to make it into something it is not and was never intended to be.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I will. I am familiar with the subject.

Okay, I just watched the video. It's good as far as it goes.

Last edited by Michael Way; 10-25-2021 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-25-2021, 09:28 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Ask the Jews / Judaism forum.

Old 10-25-2021, 04:11 PM

I agree with those scholars who hold that the creation stories in Genesis one and two are two different creation accounts written by two different authors. Both would not have been written by Moses, and perhaps neither one was. There are details in each account which cannot line up with the details of the other story though evangelical theologians try to make them fit.

Old Testament scholar Peter Enns gives a short presentation of the differences in five minute video below.

Let’s Talk About Genesis (and Two Creation Stories)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8D73x83dFY

Old 10-26-2021, 07:51 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Does it matter?

My personal opinion is yes, he wrote the majority of it. Obviously, he didn't write all of it, as he died.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:51 AM

So does it bother anyone that Moses didn't write the first five books of the Bible, or at least not all of it?

Old 10-26-2021, 07:53 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
So does it bother anyone that Moses didn't write the first five books of the Bible, or at least not all of it?
You don't know that he didn't. I mean..we know he died, so he couldn't have finished it. But there is no reason to believe he didn't write the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity