Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 01:51 PM

57 posts, read 12,813 times

Advertisements

the teachings that scripture is commandment

there is no mention of 70 Sanhedrin members in any teaching of the Bible

Yahashua healing on the Sabbath was not to amend the Sabbath

Yahashua healing on the Sabbath was not to pick and choose a special TRADITION wherein he thought it acceptable as = Tradition

Yahashua healing on the Sabbath was to show he was the Lord of the Sabbath and he could heal on the Sabbath as also his followers could work and pick from the field or do ANYTHING they wished to do on the Sabbath.

Yahashua came to put away with the Sabbath and all traditions associated with it.

Yahshua had no concern with Rabbinic principle and traditions about Sabbath neither did his disciples

in John 10 - Yahashua was not in the temple to celebrate Hanukkah or to join the crowd in celebration. The crowd gathered around him because he was controversial and many felt t hat there were many unanswered questions. Instead of celebrating and joining the crowd in celebration, Yahashua begins to tell the crowd that they are UNBELIVERS and NOT A PART OF HIS SHEPPERD AS HIM BEING THE SHEPHERD.

Hanukkah was meaningless to Yahashua, in fact Yahashua angers the celebrating crowd to the point that they begin to pick up rocks to remove him from the Hanukkah. Jesus ends up having to run and hide because he so greatly disrespected the Hanukkah celebrations.,

Yahashua ordering his followers to listen to the Pharisees was because he wanted his followers to be aware of their deception.

Apostle Paul did not follow after nor teach any of the traditions of the Pharisees, Paul used the fact that he was born to a father whom was a Pharisee to try and identify himself as someone who held the faith in common with the Scriptures.

Paul rejected the TRADITIONS of the Sadducees whom say that there is no resurrection

Paul proclaimed the SOLA SCRIPTURE faith of the Pharisees whom believe scripturally of the hope and resurrection of the dead

Act 23:7* And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided.*

:8* For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.*

:9* And there arose a great cry: and the scribes that were of the Pharisees' part arose, and strove, saying, We find no evil in this man: but if a spirit or an angel hath spoken to him, let us not fight against God.*

we thank God that Paul stood for the word of God and rejected Traditions and abode in Sola Scripture.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 12:26 AM

Thank you OJA for taking the time to explain why Sola Scripture is problematic for you
and for explaining why you believe that it is error to uphold a faith in scripture alone

Undoubtfully, I understand what you are saying and I fully agree with you that the Scripture alone is not sufficient for one to receive salvation nor communicate with the Lord. Just simply reading and understanding the Bible is not communicating with Lord

But, yet this is what you are attempting to INFER are you not even expressing a suggested inference and implication to press upon a Catholic " talking Point " as if this is what Protestants believe - ? ?

Protestants do not believe in SOLA SCRIPTURA in the way that CATHOLICS project and accuse and define upon Protestants.

Roman Catholics falsely accuse Protestants of taking the idea of " Sola Scriptura " to a completely unrealistic level of purpose, but - Protestants have never at any time implied expressions for suggested inference and implied this.

The Roman Catholic talking point demands - to say that the problem is that anyone who is not a Catholic who rejects Catholic Tradition would be led to believe that SOLA SCRIPTURA is sufficient - adequate - satisfactory all on its own and all that is needed

and that Protestants rejection of Catholic Tradition results to Protestants having no need to pray or even repent ....

why then would Protestants even pray?

Protestants are fully aware and diligently teach that just simply reading the Scripture Alone is not intended to be the way God provides Salvation, but we must reflect inwardly and study and see our own selves and decide to make the changes and repent and receive the Scripture as truth and then pray and literally speak outwardly and pray to the Lord -

this repentance and prayer and receiving salvation is not received by simply reading the words on the pages of the Bible alone and not praying and repenting.

Martian Luther, in the way he translated the Scripture and in the way he chose the 66 books of his choosing, was all based upon what he believed the Scriptures were addressing concerning the Catholic TRADITIONS that he opposed.

This was the entire focus and purpose of Martian Luther's translating and producing his German Bible.

Martian Luther did not focus upon anything else outside of the repairing, correcting and modifying, changing and making the changes where he felt that the Vulgate had been purposefully and intentionally mistranslated in its translation.

Everything else, Luther left exactly as the Latin Vulgate and Luther did not address anything else outside of the Catholic Traditions of IDOLS - MARY - PRIESTS - EUCHARIST

in these 4 things Luther made modifications

1 - Luther deviated from the Catholic Vulgate that removes the word " BOW DOWN " pertaining to all idols and images in the entire Catholic Translation.

the Catholic Translation removes every single instance where the manuscripts command to not bow down to Images and Idols - Luther repaired this and used the word " Bow Down " where the manuscripts command - to not bow down to images and Idols.

2. - Luther deviated from the Catholic Vulgate and changed the word
" PRIEST " into the word ELDER

1Ti 5:19 Against a priest receive not an accusation, but under two or three witnesses.

Luther made the correction

:19 Do not accept a complaint against an elder without two or three witnesses.

3. - Luther deviated from the Catholic Vulgate and changed the words spoken by the angel speaking to Mary

Luk 1:28 And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

:28 And the angel came in to her and said: Hail, blessed one! The LORD is with you, you blessed among women!

4. - Luther deviated from the Catholic Vulgate and changed the word relating to the Eucharist as translated by the Catholic Church as - - supersubstantial bread

Mat 6:11 Give us this day our supersubstantial bread.

:11 Give us this day our daily bread.

outside of these 4 thing, all of the Protestant Bibles that have ever been translated do not deviate or focus upon making corrections, changes in any other doctrine, or topic.

ALL CATHOLIC AND PROTESTANT TRANSLATIONS DO NOT CONTRADICT IN ANY WAY

CONCERNING SALVATION, MORALITY, DEITY OF CHRIST, TRINITY OR LAWS AND COMMANDMENTS OF GOD.

all translations are in perfect agreement concerning these core principles and core ideas and doctrines - both Catholic and Protestant. Martian Luther and all future Protestant Bibles making these corrections that differ from the Catholic Bible

THESE 4 SIMPLE CHANGES - Protestant corrections - as modifications of fixing single words to return single single words within a body of sentences
and context's and instructional paragraphs and CONTEXT BASED NARRATIVES being returned and diverted back to their original meaning and definition - this is not changing the context and narrative of what IS CLEAR context and instruction and narrative of the body surrounding all of the entire body of scripture

Catholic TRADITION is not found in Scriptura by Catholics making these alterations and changes.

Protestantism - has not removed Catholic BIBLICAL TRADITION of doctrine of Mary - because the Catholic doctrine of Mary is TRADITION ALONE - and not a part of the teaching of the manuscript message context -

Protestantism - has not removed Catholic BIBLICAL TRADITION of doctrine of Eucharist - Priests or Statues and Images of Saints because none of these Catholic traditions are explained, clarified and laid out as instruction and teaching within the manuscript.

they are Sole Traditiona Tradition Alone - without scriptural teaching, clarification and instructions and no placement of importance is placed upon Priests, Images, Mary and Transsubstantion

IN OTHER WORDS - Protestants making the changes in their Translations has not removed the Catholic Church faith from the scriptures because these Catholic doctrines never existed in the Bible.

Yet - - Catholics are willing to charge Protestants with changing the Bible and producing mistranslations - simply because Protestants have gone in and made “ SINGLE WORD “ corrections here and there in attempt to return these few words back to their original meaning and definition. AND - regardless, if we are reading from both Protestant and Catholic Translations nothing is effected or altered or changed in what the context and the surrounding narrative is expressing in the Bible context and purpose for the message expressed.

This idea of keeping Tradition is the common thread that the Apostle Paul repeats multiple times

As you mentioned - 1 v 11:2, 2 - - what is the Tradition Paul is mentioning

The Financial Collection for the Saints - The Unmarried and the Widowed - Lawsuits Against Believers - Warning Against Idolatry - Food Offered to Idols - Prophecy and Tongues - Flee Sexual Immorality - Principles for Marriage - Sexual Immorality - The Lord's Supper - Head Coverings - Orderly Worship

So…. the Traditions are clearly laid out and explained. Paul is physically going to Corinthians and teaching and bringing Godly TRADITIONS that are all open and not secret or unclear - yet Catholics attempt to castigate Paul's Traditions as something intended for future Church of Rome to imagine and invent completely new teachings that simply are not a part of the context of any Traditions Paul has written about and given to the Church he has gone personally and given,

Paul is personally going to these Churches and delivering a message with many, many topics of morality and code of conduct and commanding that these Churches abide in the traditions he brought to them.

Yet - Catholics demand that just because Paul mentions the word “ TRADITION “ this gives power for future Churches to imagine and fantasize and pretend that this is a “ CODE WORD “ for Catholic Tradition hundreds of years to come in the future.

Everything is all about “ CODE WORDS “

Sola Scriptura - becomes a " Code Word " for Catholics to falsely accuse Protestants.

Tradition - becomes " Code Word " for Catholics to falsely accuse Paul of being a Catholic.

what the Catholic is saying is that by going into a single sentence or a partial phrase or partial sentence or one single verse and changing a single word, this somehow changes the entire narrative and context and description of what the entire Bible has explained.

Protestant's - making the changes to these single random words to simply return the words back to their meaning in their original language - this still has removed nothing pertaining to Catholic Tradition

Because Catholic faith is nothing more than Sola Tradition that is being projected in a psychological aspect that bypass and omits the context and nature of the original message transmitted by the ordinal authors.

Last edited by phativaion; 12-23-2023 at 12:38 AM..

Old 12-23-2023, 01:08 AM

Catholic Tradition works exactly in this manner

Let's say you wrote me a letter in E Mail instructing me how you want me to care for your pet while you vacation.

YOUR ORIGINAL LETTER OF INSTRUCTION

Dear friend, please provide water and food for scruffy, please fill both of the two water bowls four times a day and fill the single food bowl three times per day

MY HANDWRITTEN TRANSLATED COPY TO MYSELF

Dear friend, please provide water and food for Scruffy, please fill both of the these water bowls four times a day and fill the single food bowl three times per day

we see the change in the word that I have made in changing the word - the two

I have altered the original word in your letter to say - these water bowls

instead of translating the original message saying - fill both of the two water bowls

For me personally I always love to mix water, milk and broths into my food and I want to mix water into the food bowl for Scruffy, so I change your original message to justify what I personally believe how Scruffy would or should have food and water mixed together.

I completely ignore the ordinal letter and also ignore the instruction manual you handed me, about digestion of pets and soft foods and wet foods and diarrhea causes from food in pets -

I don't even take this information into any account - my focus is upon how much Scruffy is really, really going to enjoy me feeding him.

When you return home and find Scruffy eating food mixed with water and diarrhea, feces all over the floor and on the furniture you call me and ask why I mixed water into the food bowl. I then take my notepad and read the instructions that I had translated and copied from your original message.

Your message was clear, Your message did not instruct me to mix water with food but that's how I like to feed Scruffy because I know he really enjoys so much.

So I argue and dispute with you for an hour on the phone as I continually repeat my personal translation that I had handwritten

I repeat - over, and over, and over the letter, insisting that there is no doubt in my mind that you directly instructed me to mix the water with the food - three times a day.

fill both of the these water bowls four times a day and fill the single food bowl three times per day

but this says absolutely nothing about mixing water with the food-

fill both of the two water bowls four times a day and fill the single food bowl three times per day

and the instruction manual about digestion of pets and soft foods and wet foods and diarrhea causes from food in pets has nothing to do with why Scruffy has diarrhea

Scruffy had diarrhea because he is not intelligent enough to understand how much I personally love liquids mixed in my own foods.

this is the way Catholics rationalize their though process.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:00 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The Reformation principle of sola Scriptura has to do with the sufficiency of Scripture as our supreme authority in all spiritual matters. Sola Scriptura simply means that all truth necessary for our salvation and spiritual life is taught either explicitly or implicitly in Scripture.

If you believe this to be true, where in the Bible do you find it taught? Personally, I don't believe it's there. Yes, the Bible does say, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..." but that's not saying that the Bible is a complete record of God's dealings with mankind. That's kind of like saying that "all grapes are fruit" is comparable to saying, "Grapes are the only fruit."
Here you go CCCyou. You can discuss Sola Scripture here.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:07 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
The Reformation principle of sola Scriptura has to do with the sufficiency of Scripture as our supreme authority in all spiritual matters. Sola Scriptura simply means that all truth necessary for our salvation and spiritual life is taught either explicitly or implicitly in Scripture.

If you believe this to be true, where in the Bible do you find it taught? Personally, I don't believe it's there. Yes, the Bible does say, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..." but that's not saying that the Bible is a complete record of God's dealings with mankind. That's kind of like saying that "all grapes are fruit" is comparable to saying, "Grapes are the only fruit."
CCCyou wants to discuss this topic, so I’ve bumped it up.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:33 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Here you go CCCyou. You can discuss Sola Scripture here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
CCCyou wants to discuss this topic, so I’ve bumped it up.
Well somebody else can discuss sola scriptura with CCCyou, because he and I agree on the subject.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:58 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Historically, we've seen no shortage of examples of what happens when churches and people set aside the words of the Apostles to develop their own doctrines. You want to believe there are other sources? Ok. But they had better not contradict what God has already said in Scripture.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:05 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Well somebody else can discuss sola scriptura with CCCyou, because he and I agree on the subject.
heh heh, it appears I'm being railroaded to an alternate topic to boot me out of the 'corrupt-66-book-bible' thread because I brought up the kryptonite question of 'who/when decided the 66-book-bible canon' and asuch has disturbed the 'bubble' they're trying to maintain over there, heh heh.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:07 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
heh heh, it appears I'm being railroaded to an alternate topic to boot me out of the 'corrupt-66-book-bible' thread because I brought up the kryptonite question of 'who/when decided the 66-book-bible canon' and asuch has disturbed the 'bubble' they're trying to maintain over there, heh heh.
Why is that relevant? Your church doesn't hold to the 66 we have, much less the extra ones.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:25 AM

361 posts, read 317,634 times
Quote:

Hi Katzpur

Like you, I have deep reservations about the creation of the doctrine of "sola scriptura". This is partly because it is a theory which, in reality, is impossible to apply (at least I've never seen evidence of it).
As a historian, I see other problems with it. For examples :

1) Which Scriptures do we use as a source authority?

Do we use a “Modern” western bible or the Bible of the early Centuries (e.g. c. Sinaiticus). These are different in text and in canon.

If we use an ancient source text then Do we use the Samaritan pentateuch or the Masoretic pentateush or the Septuagint (the Dead Sea Scrolls versions of these books show readings from all of them)

If we chose a more "modern" bible, Do we use a version of a Protestant bible or a Catholic bible (as they differ in text and canon)?

Do we use a modern Western Bible with its 66 books or Eastern Orthodox such as the Ethiopic with its 81 books?

Do we use a modern Translation of or ancient language as our authoritative source?
If we use a modern translation, do we use a Literal or historical contextual translation?
Who decides which historical context? Which interpretation when context differs among translators? Do we use a Paraphrased bible and sacrifice readability for accuracy?

It all becomes very complicated historically

2)A comment on the problem of translation. 2 Tim 3:16 as an example.

I am not criticizing the reference to 2 Tim 3:16, but merely using it as an example of poor translation and translational difficulties scholars have pointed out for years.

Katzpur quoted 2 Timothy 3:16 as rendered by the King James Translators : "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof,..."

However, Scholars and Greek readers have long noted that this translation is incorrect and has multiple translational problems.

The source greek T.R. text is “ Πασα γραφε Θεοπνευστοσ και ωφελεμοσ προσ διδασκαλιαν, προσ ελεγχον,....” (The N.A. 27 critical and GN-4 only shows only two Greek variants to this verse, neither are important or relevant to my points)

Forum Greek readers will note there is no verbs for the English words “is” nor for the word “given” that appear in the KJVs erroneous version of this text.

Regarding the lack of the verb for “is” :
While the source Greek lacks this verb, a translator must make his best contextual guess and in this case placed "is" as a verb in his English translation. Such guesses must occur since the English translation requires some sort of a verb. I don’t think a translator is to be faulted for this specific guess.

However :

Regarding the addition of the word "given" :
There is NO verb in the Greek source text for the word “given” and none was needed to be added to the Greek source text.

It is unknown why the English word “given” was inappropriately added but it is obviously inappropriate for this word to appear in any authentic translation and this is why many of the later translations do not have this word in this verse (e.g. ASV, etc al).

The famous Dr. Adam Clarke (b 1762), speaking of 2 Tim 3:15 and 16 pointed out :
“This sentence is not well translated; the original (Πασα γραφε Θεοπνευστοσ και ωφελεμοσ προσ διδασκαλιαν, προσ ελεγχον,....” should be rendered: Every writing Divinely inspired is profitable for doctrine, etc. The particle και, and, is omitted by almost all the versions and many of the fathers, and certainly does not agree well with the text. The apostle is here, beyond all controversy, speaking of the writings of the Old Testament, which, because they came by Divine inspiration, he terms the Holy Scriptures, 2Ti_3:15; and it is of them alone that this passage is to be understood; and although all the New Testament came by as direct an inspiration as the Old, yet, as it was not collected at that time, not indeed complete, the apostle could have no reference to it." Clarke's Commentary on the Bible.”

I agree with Dr. Clarke that the text in 2 Tim 3:16 should be rendered differently than it’s found in the King James. But I think his rendering is clumsy.

Clark renders it : “Every writing divinely inspired is profitable…”
though I think : “Every divinely inspired writing is profitable…” is better.

The second version above reads more logically and is more clear; more understandable and better reflects the way one speaks in vernacular english (and is thus a better translation).

Differences in word order is a common difference between Greek manuscripts, (partly because word order is not as important in Greek as it is in English) I’ve thought that perhaps Clarke was thinking "in greek mode" when he offered his correction to 2 Tim 3:16.

I disagree with Dr. Clarke in his opinion that the Christian Paul, in vs 16 is simply referring to the Jewish Old Testament.

I think Paul is saying just what the sentence seems to be saying. “Every - divinely - inspired writing - is - profitable…”.

I believe Paul is purposefully contrasting the old testament (a specific set of writings) of verse 15 with EVERY writing (i.e. ANY writing that is inspired of God) in vs 16.

The source greek in the reference to the inspired Writings of verse 15 uses a significantly different term for the “writings”of vs 16.

"Γραμματα" is used in verse 15 versus "γραφη" (Graphe) in vs 16.

"Γραφε" was a much more generic term for many, many different types of “letters” and “writings” (If anyone needs examples of this point from ancient Greek papyral usage, let me know).

These two verses are not both referring to the same set of divinely inspired writings.
Verse 15 does seem to be referring to Old Testament writings (archives) and verse 16 is referring to the principle underlying the scriptures, i.e. divine inspiration, as the qualifying characteristic of “scripture”.

I believe that Paul is saying that it is not simply Old divinely inspired writings that have profit for learning, but that he is teaching that Divine Inspiration makes EVERY divinely inspired writing profitable.

This makes more sense in historical context.

This point was important to make to the early Judeo-Christians. Many early Christians did NOT immediately accept the new letters and writings of the apostles as “holy scripture” on the same basis as they had accepted the Old Testament.

For example, the apostolic Father Bishop Ignatius says “For I heard some people say, “If I do not find it in the archives I do not believe it in the gospel.” And when I said to them, “It is written,” they answered me, “That is precisely the question.” But for me, the “archives” are Jesus Christ,...” (“the archives” are now called Old Testament) Ignatius to the Philadelphians 8:2.

This attitude that "old is better" is also reflected in other early Christian texts.

For example, In the diary of Vibia Perpetua (a Christian Convert from paganism - approx. 200 a.d.), the writer describing the diary makes the same point, that is, that later miracles and divine gifts are just as evidential in Perpetuas' day as they were at the time of Christ. The antiquity of a revelation does not bestow any additional value to divine revelation.

No one has actually ever seen anyone be able to use “sola scriptura” as a principle since all of us are biased and ignorant of original context and cannot help using our personal opinions and bias and personal characteristics in our interpretations. This affects translators as well.

For example, Martin Luther, when creating his wonderful and wildly popular first vernacular bible, changed the 10 commandments themselves due to his personal bias. His 1522 bible removed the second commandment altogether (the prohibition against graven images) due to his personal opinion..

This is why European protestants had a different set of 10 commandments than the Catholics had for a time. Luther simply felt that the prohibition against graven images was a “judishes sachenspiegel” (a law that applied to a special case involving the jews) and this is the reason he purposefully left this commandment out of the bible he created.

Luther then split the commandment involving coveting so that the number of commandments remained 10.

This is not meant as a deep criticism of Luther. All translators are like the rest of us. We all have bias and personal characteristics which affect our worldviews.

Another example of controversy Luther caused with his creation of his translation of his biblical text is when Luther added “allein” (eng "alone") to a verse in Romans to support his theory of being saved “through faith alone”, rather than “through faith” (durch glauben).

Thus, by adding a single word, Luther creates a New Theology theory of salvation by "faith alone" that may not have existed prior to adding it.

New religious theories and entire doctrines can originate by such simple origins.

My point is that all of us make these sorts of mistakes in “translation” and in “interpretation” and that we should not take our own interpretations too seriously but should have enough humility to realize that we have errors in our theological models.

No, I do not think "Sola Scriptura" works and I have never seen it in action nor have I ever met anyone who has seen it work.

I hope your spiritual journey is wonderful Katzpur

Clear
νενεφισιω
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity