Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2023, 08:09 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggling Christian View Post
I completely agree with you and share your view. I have faith in the original Bible. I don't have faith in all of the stuff that came thereafter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
What is the "original Bible"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The Greek and Hebrew texts.
Which texts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2023, 08:10 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
We have a number of people here that believe "everyone except me is wrong."
Yes. I'm aware of that. And the point is that without an actual authority, no one knows.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Instead, it's amazing what happens when we actually follow the Words of God as laid out in Scripture.
Yes, we become Catholic!

Old 01-25-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
And that's an example of what happens when we choose to believe the words of men instead of the words of God. You and Mystic get into a shouting match over who is right. He blathers about barbaric teachings, you say the Pope and the magisterium are right.
I'm sorry if my post came across as me shouting. I assure you I did not intend that. I don't recall any interaction I've had with Mystic in which he made me upset. At least certainly not recently.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:24 AM

130 posts, read 43,703 times
Quote:
And that's an example of what happens when we choose to believe the words of men instead of the words of God. You and Mystic get into a shouting match over who is right. He blathers about barbaric teachings, you say the Pope and the magisterium are right.

Instead, it's amazing what happens when we actually follow the Words of God as laid out in Scripture.

Those who claim that God is still speaking through man to teach us "the way" are essentially saying that Jesus's mission and teachings were insufficient and so others have to tell us all of the things that Jesus did not tell us. They'll tell you that to FULLY enjoy and understand Jesus, only their denomination is qualified to interpret the scriptures.

Of course, don't share their views. I DO believe that Jesus's mission was FULLY accomplished and that everything we need to know was included in the original Bibles that include the "New Testament". I believe that the very early church was representative of Jesus's commands and teachings. At some point, however, others came along and hijacked the church of Rome and turned it into something else.

We were warned about false teachers and false teachings.

1 Timothy 4
New International Version
4 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:25 AM

2 Timothy 3:16
English Standard Version
16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

What some of our brothers and sisters believe is that God's scripture is incomplete and so they must, through their denomination, teach the things that God left out.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:30 AM

Indeed, some believe that Jesus's teachings and commandments were insufficient and so they are filling in the things that Jesus left out.

1 Timothy 6:3-5 ESV
If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.

In spite of Jesus's clear commandments, some still refer to religious authorities as "father" and in spite of being told to ONLY serve God the Father in Heaven, many pray the Rosary to Mary in order to "serve her".

Rosary: 1. Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.

Luke 4:8 And Jesus answered him, “It is written, you shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve."

Old 01-25-2023, 08:33 AM

Yes, Paul warned about people spreading doctrine that did NOT come from Christ.

Romans 16:17 ESV
I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:37 AM

And another where Paul warned about NOT following false doctrines.

For me, if it's not in scripture, then it should probably NOT be followed or taught.

Acts 20:29-30 ESV
I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggling Christian View Post
For me, if it's not in scripture, then it should probably NOT be followed or taught.
Where in Scripture do you find the list of texts that ought to be considered Scripture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity