Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 02:02 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The thing is, "sin" and "iniquity" are two different words. I believe they have slightly different meanings. It would behoove us to figure out how they differ instead of just assuming they mean the same thing.
"iniquity" , imo, is a more general state of consciousness. It can be manifested in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 02:14 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
I found this commentary

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/christ...a-bible-study/

Old 11-04-2021, 02:25 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
The thing is, "sin" and "iniquity" are two different words. I believe they have slightly different meanings. It would behoove us to figure out how they differ instead of just assuming they mean the same thing.
Sin is a state of mind that is "missing the mark" as far as our spiritual development is concerned or as Paul would say, "It does not edify." Iniquity is a completely opposing state of mind from righteousness or anything spiritual.

Old 11-04-2021, 02:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
It appears that an iniquity and sin is like that of shame and guilt, which are two different things.

Psalm 51:5 (using merely as an illustration)
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity (shame), and in sin (guilt) did my mother conceive me.

Unfortunately, people are taught (religiously) to feel ashamed and guilty for various things in their life.
Shame is comparing yourself to others, while guilt would be that of what you did or did not do; behavior.

Old 11-04-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sin is a state of mind that is "missing the mark" as far as our spiritual development is concerned or as Paul would say, "It does not edify." Iniquity is a completely opposing state of mind from righteousness or anything spiritual.

Iniquity seems to be about letting the natural tendency to err or make mistakes to get set into a habitual and perpetual state of sinning/transgressing and not letting that worry us and it gets deliberate - putting our pleasure and wants over what is ethically and morally right

Letting things slide as it were, one thing leading to another to another

Old 11-04-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It appears that an iniquity and sin is like that of shame and guilt, which are two different things.

Psalm 51:5 (using merely as an illustration)
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity (shame), and in sin (guilt) did my mother conceive me.

Unfortunately, people are taught (religiously) to feel ashamed and guilty for various things in their life.
Shame is comparing yourself to others, while guilt would be that of what you did or did not do; behavior.
I agree that can be true but it’s not all or nothing and it’s certainly not just “the religious” that do it

It can depend on the context and if we are actually guilty or not

If we are guilty it is appropriate and natural to feel ashamed when we recognise our guilt, then comes repentance/change

But first we need to recognise that guilt

And to me seems we need to be sure we are speaking of the correct context

Old 11-04-2021, 02:53 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
I immediately thought of "Dens of Iniquity" as in actual places you could go to commit sin.

Opium dens, brothels, torture chambers. Or a state of being, rather than a "mistake".

Sin is just when we screw up day-to-day. I think?

Old 11-04-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I immediately thought of "Dens of Iniquity" as in actual places you could go to commit sin.

Opium dens, brothels, torture chambers. Or a state of being, rather than a "mistake".

Could be
The difference between deliberately premeditated .... and an unintentional error

Old 11-04-2021, 03:46 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Old 11-04-2021, 05:39 PM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times
From the looks of it "iniquity" is more synonymous with "sinful" than it is with "sin" in that it is a state of being rather than an action.

Whatever it is...it's a really cool word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity