Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 11:40 AM

10,070 posts, read 4,993,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
According to Ezekiel 18, we don’t inherit sin. No Scripture that I know of says we do.
Like Adam, we are all created with free-will choices.
Perfect Adam could only sin on purpose.
Because we are all born 'after ' Adam lost his human perfection is why we inherited father Adam's leanings toward wrongdoing.
We inherited his leaning toward sin, thus sin passed down from sinner Adam to us, we inherited his acquired imperfection.
We can't stop sinning, if we could stop sinning ( imperfection ) we would Not die.
For the soul person that sins dies - Ezekiel 18:4,20.

I have a diabetic friend whose both parents were diabetic, so that is why my friend is diabetic.
There was No way to avoid that inherited outcome, at least until Jesus comes ! - Rev. 22:2,20
So, unless you can now stop sinning you have the inherited imperfection (sin) from fallen father Adam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 11:40 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,061,313 times
Quote:
Does the passage say we are totally incapable of seeking God? Because that is what the doctrine of total depravity teaches.
It says no one seeks God. That's what the doctrine teaches. Because sin touches all our hearts. Be careful not to read your own definition into what it means.

This is also backed up by many other passages, such as Ephesians 2, which states we are children of wrath. But I don't know of any passage that says that we willingly come to him without him FIRST loving us.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:44 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
Does the passage say we are totally incapable of seeking God? Because that is what the doctrine of total depravity teaches.
If Jesus taught us to seek him and his kingdom, how can that possibly true. The scripture that says "there is none that seek after him no not one" is what it had come to at that period of time, I also believe it was referring to the nation as a whole.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:46 AM

9,902 posts, read 1,288,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Like Adam, we are all created with free-will choices.
Perfect Adam could only sin on purpose.
Because we are all born 'after ' Adam lost his human perfection is why we inherited father Adam's leanings toward wrongdoing.
We inherited his leaning toward sin, thus sin passed down from sinner Adam to us, we inherited his acquired imperfection.
We can't stop sinning, if we could stop sinning ( imperfection ) we would Not die.
For the soul person that sins dies - Ezekiel 18:4,20.

I have a diabetic friend whose both parents were diabetic, so that is why my friend is diabetic.
There was No way to avoid that inherited outcome, at least until Jesus comes ! - Rev. 22:2,20
So, unless you can now stop sinning you have the inherited imperfection (sin) from fallen father Adam.
I agree that we have inherited Adam’s human nature and propensity to sin, but where is the Scripture that says we actually inherit his sin? Ezekiel 18 says just the opposite (Ez 18:20).

Old 12-23-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If Jesus taught us to seek him and his kingdom, how can that possibly true. The scripture that says "there is none that seek after him no not one" is what it had come to at that period of time, I also believe it was referring to the nation as a whole.
So you've stopped sinning at all? Because God doesn't want us to sin.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Why would Jesus tell His listeners to seek ye first the kingdom if they weren’t capable of doing so?

Old 12-23-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It says no one seeks God. That's what the doctrine teaches. Because sin touches all our hearts. Be careful not to read your own definition into what it means.

This is also backed up by many other passages, such as Ephesians 2, which states we are children of wrath. But I don't know of any passage that says that we willingly come to him without him FIRST loving us.
I agree that He loved us first. I also agree we are all sinners. But what Scripture that says be are so totally depraved we can’t seek Him.

Another term used for total depravity is total inability. I didn’t come up with it. Google it. It comes up with a search of total depravity.

Do you believe man is incapable of seeking God until he has been regenerated?

Old 12-23-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I agree that He loved us first. I also agree we are all sinners. But what Scripture that says be are so totally depraved we can’t seek Him.
It's the picture of the unbeliever that is painted throughout Scripture. Ephesians 2, Romans 6-8 says the unbeliever is a slave to sin, Romans 3 says no one seeks God. Not only that, pick a random letter in the NT. Pretty sure you'll find a reference to God choosing us.

Ask yourself why God chose Abraham. Why did he have to choose him? Why didn't Abraham follow him first?
Quote:
Another term used for total depravity is total inability. I didn’t come up with it. Google it. It comes up with a search of total depravity.

Do you believe man is incapable of seeking God until he has been regenerated?
Yes. There is nothing in Scripture that suggests otherwise. Pelagius taught that we have libertarian free will, which means that we can freely choose to or not. And he was soundly condemned as a heretic about 1700 years ago.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:36 PM

11,703 posts, read 6,124,466 times
Quote:
Jesus said, “ 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!” (Matthew 7:11)

Is Jesus saying we are depraved or totally depraved?
He is saying that the Father is light-years more good than we are, with our failed human nature. Technically, infinitely more good, but I liked the sound of light-years.

Meanwhile, yes we are totally depraved. Embrace it.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:43 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

That is Cleary what you are doing. Why would Jesus tell us to seek if it was not within us to do so ?

I am sure you are one who would believe we are in the end times with current events......

But you, Daniel, seal these words and be silent and seal this book until the time of the end. Many shall seek and knowledge shall be multiplied Daniel 12:4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity