Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 04:52 PM

3,489 posts, read 1,407,700 times

Advertisements

I've heard different Catholic views about tattoos. One of the priests at my high school actually said there is nothing wrong with tattoos as long as they aren't obscene or offensive. And I've even heard some priests say it's a sin to have a tattoo since the Old Testament of the Bible clearly states not to mark your body.

I, personally, agree with the priest at my high school. I think tattoos can be nice looking as long as they are not overdone and obscene/offensive. In fact, I kind of like to get one myself but have always feared that it might be sinful. I mean, we are all sinners, but we can repent for our sins. With tattoos, a simple repentance will not magically erase the tattoo should I have some sort of regret or guilt from getting it. So, that's why I've been hesitant about getting one all these years.

So what do you think? Is getting a tattoo really sinful? And if so, is that sin permanent since tattoos are a permanent mark to the body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 05:27 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,429,769 times
I don't know what the Roman Catholic church believes about tattoos, but the prohibition in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament against marking the body was part of the Mosaic Law and didn't apply to anyone other than the Hebrews themselves because they were not to follow the practices of the Canaanites.

It is not a sin to have a tattoo. I personally don't think having large areas of the body covered with tattoos is attractive , but one like in the picture below is nice.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover

Old 03-07-2022, 03:09 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
Many of the laws of Moses were a rejection of the way of the Egyptians who ruled over them for three hundred years, and the Egyptians had tattoos and cut their skin and cut their hair back and were wicked people, and they figured that many of these ways would attract demon spirits . So who needs this

Old 03-07-2022, 05:26 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I've heard different Catholic views about tattoos. One of the priests at my high school actually said there is nothing wrong with tattoos as long as they aren't obscene or offensive. And I've even heard some priests say it's a sin to have a tattoo since the Old Testament of the Bible clearly states not to mark your body.

I, personally, agree with the priest at my high school. I think tattoos can be nice looking as long as they are not overdone and obscene/offensive. In fact, I kind of like to get one myself but have always feared that it might be sinful. I mean, we are all sinners, but we can repent for our sins. With tattoos, a simple repentance will not magically erase the tattoo should I have some sort of regret or guilt from getting it. So, that's why I've been hesitant about getting one all these years.

So what do you think? Is getting a tattoo really sinful? And if so, is that sin permanent since tattoos are a permanent mark to the body?
No. I got my first couple of tats as a young Catholic man. Never heard anything like that.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:34 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post

I wont get a tattoo for biblical reasons, <<cut>>

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-07-2022 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: You can't get by with saying "Catholics dont follow the traditions of God"

Old 03-07-2022, 06:41 AM

1,810 posts, read 898,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I don't know what the Roman Catholic church believes about tattoos, but the prohibition in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament against marking the body was part of the Mosaic Law and didn't apply to anyone other than the Hebrews themselves because they were not to follow the practices of the Canaanites.

It is not a sin to have a tattoo. I personally don't think having large areas of the body covered with tattoos is attractive , but one like in the picture below is nice.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover
They are sinful. We should not defile the Temple of God.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:33 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,164,944 times
I don't like them. More importantly, God doesn't like them.

It's not a law issue, but do you want to align yourself with God as much as possible or not?

Old 03-07-2022, 08:38 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
The Catholic Church has no dogmatic teaching re: tattoos in general.

Obviously, to get a tattoo that is blasphemous or sacrilegious would be sinful.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:52 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
They are sinful. We should not defile the Temple of God.
I obviously disagree.

Last edited by Michael Way; 03-07-2022 at 09:05 AM..

Old 03-07-2022, 10:30 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't like them. More importantly, God doesn't like them.

It's not a law issue, but do you want to align yourself with God as much as possible or not?
..."God doesn't like them"...really?, you are making a claim you cannot validate or verify...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity