Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 06:45 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The Book of Isaiah talking about the Millennial Reign that will occurs after Jesus's return to Jerusalem.

Isaiah 65:20:

“Never again will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not live out his years; the one who dies at a hundred will be thought a mere child; the one who fails to reach a hundred will be considered accursed."

As someone who takes the literal word of the Bible, we are in the season for the end-times and the generation who were alive in 1948, shall not pass until all things are done as stated in Matthew 24:34, Mark 13:30 and Luke 21:32. Meaning those who are alive today, and go through tribulation have a chance of a far extended life.
Change that to 1914 and you are using the Watchtower's version of Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 08:48 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Lord I don’t want to make 80… ready when You are!!
I'll be okay up until 85. My mom lived to be 96. No way do I want to live that long. Furthermore, I don't believe anybody in the Bible lived as long as it says they did. Even if the same diseases weren't around back then as there are today, the human body was not created to live hundreds of years. It simply wears out after a much shorter period of time.

Old 05-21-2023, 12:56 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The Book of Isaiah talking about the Millennial Reign that will occurs after Jesus's return to Jerusalem.

Isaiah 65:20:

“Never again will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not live out his years; the one who dies at a hundred will be thought a mere child; the one who fails to reach a hundred will be considered accursed."

As someone who takes the literal word of the Bible, we are in the season for the end-times and the generation who were alive in 1948, shall not pass until all things are done as stated in Matthew 24:34, Mark 13:30 and Luke 21:32. Meaning those who are alive today, and go through tribulation have a chance of a far extended life.
According to many in the Tech community, advancements in artificial intelligence will lead to us " living" more than a thousand years.

Old 05-21-2023, 02:03 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'll be okay up until 85. My mom lived to be 96. No way do I want to live that long. Furthermore, I don't believe anybody in the Bible lived as long as it says they did. Even if the same diseases weren't around back then as there are today, the human body was not created to live hundreds of years. It simply wears out after a much shorter period of time.
I don’t think they did either

The stories in the bible have prophetic meaning and I think the longer periods referred to are about societal times not individual times even though they are written as if referring to a particular individual

The names in Scripture have meaning above the the individual and personal level

The book of Isaiah is about prophetic things under that particular name about particular times (and also region needs to be taken into account as well)

H2377 (Strong)
חָזוֹן
châzôn
khaw-zone'
From H2372; a sight (mentally), that is, a dream, revelation, or oracle: - vision.

H3470 (Strong)
יְשַׁעְיָהוּ יְשַׁעְיָה
yesha‛yâh yesha‛yâhû
yesh-ah-yaw', yesh-ah-yaw'-hoo
From H3467 and H3050; Jah has saved; Jeshajah, the name of seven Israelites: - Isaiah, Jesaiah, Jeshaiah.

Isa 1:1**The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah.
The Wickedness of Judah
Isa 1:2**Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth: for the LORD hath spoken, I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against me.
Isa 1:3**The ox knoweth his owner, and the ass his master's crib: but Israel doth not know, my people doth not consider.
Isa 1:4**Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward.

I find it interesting that Isaiah and Joshua have the same root/meaning from where the name Jesus comes from

H3091 (Strong)
יְהוֹשֻׁעַ יְהוֹשׁוּעַ
yehôshûa‛ yehôshûa‛
yeh-ho-shoo'-ah, yeh-ho-shoo'-ah
From H3068 and H3467; Jehovah-saved; Jehoshua (that is, Joshua), the Jewish leader: - Jehoshua, Jehoshuah, Joshua. Compare H1954, H3442

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-21-2023 at 02:44 PM..

Old 05-21-2023, 02:56 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
I think a problem happens with taking things out of context - if we are trying to understand what/when the Scriptures are referring to we need to be consistent and not mix things up

We can’t be referencing the prophetic things about society and their own times and then flick back to thinking it is referring to the literal/physical life-spans of any of the individuals within those societies

It just does not work

1Co 2:11**For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
1Co 2:12**Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
1Co 2:13**Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1Co 2:14**But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Old 05-21-2023, 05:14 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,956,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
According to many in the Tech community, advancements in artificial intelligence will lead to us " living" more than a thousand years.
But man's rapidly advancing technology is a two-edged sword. For example: atomic energy / atomic bomb
Before now changes in technology took place at a much slower pace.
Now world problems tie in with Rev. 12:12,9 that trouble-maker Satan's time is limited.
Jesus as king of God's kingdom acted with God-given authority and evicted Satan out of heaven forever.
There is a ' silver lining ' to today's global dark cloud.
Everything is as Jesus said at Luke 21:11 and the answer is clear at Luke 21:31 that God's kingdom (aka government Daniel 2:44) is the answer; along with everything happening now as per Matthew 24:37-39
People think they just have to cope with, or deal with, the world as it is today and not heed what Jesus said.
So, when the powers in charge are saying, ' Peace and Security...." ( 1st Thess. 5:2-3) those in spiritual darkness ( lack of accurate Bible knowledge ) will fall for that facade, that veneer saying.
Mankind can't solve mankind's soaring problems, stop daily shootings, etc. so the only real lasting solution is the hope of God's kingdom, the kingdom Jesus said to pray for to come ( thy kingdom come.... ) and it will.

Last edited by Matthew 4:4; 05-21-2023 at 05:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Even with man's AI advancements man will Not stop accidental death, nor death by murder.
AI will Not stop bad people from breaking Caesar's motor-vehicle code nor those who run afoul with their vehicles.

According to many in the Bible community, what will lead to living more than a thousand years but to everlasting life.
The figurative 'sheep' (Matthew 25:31-34,37) at Jesus coming Glory Time of separation the 'sheep' will be here on Earth to see calendar Day One of Jesus' coming thousand-year reign over Earth leading to eternal life on a beautiful paradisical Earth as Eden was a sample.

Old 05-21-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
..............., the human body was not created to live hundreds of years. It simply wears out after a much shorter period of time.
I like that you said ' created ' because created implies a Creator. (Rev. 4:11)
Adam was fashioned, was formed, to live forever on Earth as long as Adam did Not break the Law of Gen. 2:17
If Adam and Eve had Not broken the Law and turned themselves into self-made criminals they would be alive today.
That means their descendants ( us ) would be healthy and alive today without any fear of death.
Because we can't stop sinning is why God sent Jesus to Earth for us - 1st John 1:7
To undo the deadly damage Satan and Adam brought upon us, to balance the Scales of Justice for us.
Please notice what will end on Earth according to 1st Corinthians 15:24-26 ______________

Old 05-21-2023, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Change that to 1914 and you are using the Watchtower's version of Christianity.
I find Jehovah's version of Christianity has nothing to do with fleshly-national Israel - www.jw.org

Old 05-21-2023, 06:49 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I like that you said ' created ' because created implies a Creator. (Rev. 4:11)
Adam was fashioned, was formed, to live forever on Earth as long as Adam did Not break the Law of Gen. 2:17
If Adam and Eve had Not broken the Law and turned themselves into self-made criminals they would be alive today.
That means their descendants ( us ) would be healthy and alive today without any fear of death.
I'm afraid I don't see it in quite the same way as you do. I don't see Adam and Eve as being criminals, since I don't believe they had a real understanding of good and evil until after they ate from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. They transgressed; that's a fact, but I don't see their transaction as a sin. I also don't believe that if they'd never transgressed they would even have any descendants. The Bible tells us that they didn't even know they were naked until after they ate the forbidden fruit. To me, this implies a complete sexual naivety. I don't believe they had sexual relations until after they were cast out of Eden. After they were, the Bible says that Adam "knew" his wife, Eve. I personally believe the events in the Garden of Eden unfolded exactly as they needed to in order for God's plan for mankind to go forward.

By the way, thank you for the respectful way in which you always conduct yourself in debates. It hasn't gone unnoticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity