Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 01:43 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The minority of Christians? I'll say this, you are not, and cannot be a real Christian if you do not believe in Genesis.
Well, that's your opinion. And you just implied that most Christians are not real Christians.

Quote:
Also, just about every ancient civilization in the world has a flood story including civilizations in South/Central America. If you open your eyes, you will see all the support of it. A long time ago, I even took full semester course on it at Rutgers University.
Most ancient civilizations were situated in areas near water - oceans, rivers, lakes. And where there are such bodies of water there will be floods and tsunamis. There not only is no geological evidence for a Noah's Flood, there is a vast amount of evidence against such a flood. No honest geologist (one not on the payroll of one of the young earth organizations) would ever claim that Noah's Flood happened. But if you will not avail yourself of the geological evidence then you will continue to believe something that never happened.

I doubt very much that any public university would promote the biblical flood story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 02:02 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Well, that's your opinion. And you just implied that most Christians are not real Christians.

Most ancient civilizations were situated in areas near water - oceans, rivers, lakes. And where there are such bodies of water there will be floods and tsunamis. There not only is no geological evidence for a Noah's Flood, there is a vast amount of evidence against such a flood. No honest geologist (one not on the payroll of one of the young earth organizations) would ever claim that Noah's Flood happened. But if you will not avail yourself of the geological evidence then you will continue to believe something that never happened.

I doubt very much that any public university would promote the biblical flood story.
I think there are a lot of people who identify as Christian, but are not truly saved believing Christians.

2 Timothy 3
Quote:
1But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.
6They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. 8Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these teachers oppose the truth. They are men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. 9But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.
I'm not going to change this thread topic to the Flood because thats a huge topic on its own. The evidence that a flood happened is all around us.

Old 05-26-2023, 02:10 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
I think there are a lot of people who identify as Christian, but are not truly saved believing Christians.

2 Timothy 3

I'm not going to change this thread topic to the Flood because thats a huge topic on its own. The evidence that a flood happened is all around us.
No, it is not. Yours is a very fundamentalist viewpoint and is a minority view. But since you don't want to take the thread in that direction, nor are you even open to other viewpoints that are more realistic, I'll leave it at that.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:53 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,956,993 times
Quote:
Isaiah 65:20:
“Never again will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not live out his years; the one who dies at a hundred will be thought a mere child; the one who fails to reach a hundred will be considered accursed."
As someone who takes the literal word of the Bible, we are in the season for the end-times and the generation who were alive in 1948, shall not pass until all things are done as stated in Matthew 24:34, Mark 13:30 and Luke 21:32. Meaning those who are alive today, and go through tribulation have a chance of a far extended life.
At the soon coming Time of Separation on Earth as found at Matthew 25:31-34,37 the figurative living 'sheep' have the opportunity to come though the coming great tribulation of Rev. 7:14 (Isaiah 26:20) and be here on Earth to see calendar Day One of Jesus' Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years with everlasting life in view as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.
- 1st Cor. 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8

Old 05-27-2023, 10:20 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
The Bible is very clear that people used to live a long time in pre-flood world. Adam died 126 years before Noah was born, enough time that Noah had Adam's garments on the boat which made it all the way from Isaac to Esau (and have superpowers). The Bible says that man's life was shortened to a maximum of 120 years in the post-flood world. Additionally the world changed post-flood, as the firmament collapsed. Many speculate the pre-flood Earth had different oxygen levels, etc. that led to people living longer.

I also believe that people aged much slower. So you could likely be 400 years old, and look like a 40 year old.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this point.

Old 05-27-2023, 11:00 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
"According to scripture", donkeys can talk, scrolls can fly, people can be turned to pillars of salt...
where does it say those things?

Old 05-27-2023, 11:02 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Many of those same folks that don't believe Genesis have called me worse.

But if there was no Adam, and no original sin, then we don't need a savior. It's simple logic.
Quote:

Yes. There really IS evidence, if you don't dismiss it outright. And the fact that all the different cultures have the stories does indicate a common ancestry.

But the irony is, you called him out for suggesting that people aren't Christians, then you turn around and act like anyone that takes the Bible literally is a knuckle-dragging troglodyte.

Old 05-27-2023, 12:10 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Many of those same folks that don't believe Genesis have called me worse.

But if there was no Adam, and no original sin, then we don't need a savior. It's simple logic.

Yes. There really IS evidence, if you don't dismiss it outright. And the fact that all the different cultures have the stories does indicate a common ancestry.

But the irony is, you called him out for suggesting that people aren't Christians, then you turn around and act like anyone that takes the Bible literally is a knuckle-dragging troglodyte.
Uh, well to be completely honest . . .

Old 05-27-2023, 12:50 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
For God's sake, what " truth" should we be discussing?

That Genesis is factually historical?

Or what were the writers trying to show us.

To the extent we get bogged down in what I believe are destructive arguments,

We prevent the synergistic search for truth.

Which is why Christians should " congregate" in the 1st place.

In my never to be humble opinion.

Yikes !!!

Old 05-27-2023, 12:58 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,956,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
For God's sake, what " truth " should we be discussing?.......................!
What truth ? would be the ' truth ' (religious truth) that Jesus expressed and taught that God's Word (Scripture) is religious truth.

So, unlike Pilate who was thinking about what was 'truth in general', Jesus taught specific religious truth by Jesus using logical reasoning and often referring back the old Hebrew Scriptures when Jesus said, " it is written....." as the basis for his teachings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity