Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 09:23 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,789,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Yeah thanks a lot for that. Despite how prevelant it is in the country, do you think the reason Catholicism doesn't generally have a strong identity or recognition within American culture is because it's sort of seen as "un-American" in many ways, because of how it supposedly goes against democratic values or what not? Also, do Catholic schools in the US have uniform like in British and Japanese high schools, and are they also single-gender like most traditional Catholic schools across the world?
Personally, I don't think Catholicism doesn't have a 'strong identity within American culture..." I think about 23% of the nation identifies with being Catholic.

Catholicism is a religious denomination. So is Protestantism. But Protestantism has like 30-40 thousand different branches, whereas, Catholicism has only a few handfuls. And while I've had the opportunity to ask people 'what denomination are you', they don't reply "Protestant", but either Methodist, or Southern Baptist, or Baptist, or Unitarian, or...you get the point. So while Protestantism may be 'stronger' in the US than Catholicism, their branches are not.

You say that Catholicism supposedly goes against "democratic values." What does that even mean?

Catholics have been forerunners in promoting education...health...charity...anthropology...Moderator cut: Politics

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-31-2023 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Keep it in P&OC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 09:41 AM

7,077 posts, read 8,939,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Catholicism is "un-American". Catholicism and Americanism are incompatible. In fact, Americanism is an explicitly-condemned heresy. Freedom of religion, egalitarianism, and the like are rightfully condemned by the Catholic Church.

Heresy of Americanism
And your ancestors came here anyway despite being unwanted and considered “undesirables” by certain immigration laws on the books as late as 1917.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:51 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
And your ancestors came here anyway despite being unwanted and considered “undesirables” by certain immigration laws on the books as late as 1917.
You know this? Who are my ancestors?

Old 05-31-2023, 10:47 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
On one hand, freedom of religion is important in the country, and no established religion is to promoted.

But left on it's own, certainly Catholicism is one of the biggies. Many Hispanics support it, as it is native to Mexico and Spain, and they are a growing demographic.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:15 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
On one hand, freedom of religion is important in the country, and no established religion is to promoted.

But left on it's own, certainly Catholicism is one of the biggies. Many Hispanics support it, as it is native to Mexico and Spain, and they are a growing demographic.
Lol Catholicism isn't native to Mexico. Technically not native to Spain, but at least it was in Spain long before Mexico. It was FORCED upon the natives of Mexico.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:20 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Lol Catholicism isn't native to Mexico. Technically not native to Spain, but at least it was in Spain long before Mexico. It was FORCED upon the natives of Mexico.
Okay, yeah, uhuh. Maybe "native" was the wrong word (as indigenous). But after being established, it's certainly the norm there now, and gets imported as something "native" to modern Mexico, etc. That's what I was referring to.

We're all "forced" into many matters don't the line back in each of our histories going back centuries. But we don't have to wear that chip on our shoulders (hint hint). Jeez, people are so touchy these days...

Old 05-31-2023, 11:21 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Back off the nose candy and then please explain the process of how Catholicism was "forced" on the natives of Mexico.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:39 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,789,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Okay, yeah, uhuh. Maybe "native" was the wrong word (as indigenous). But after being established, it's certainly the norm there now, and gets imported as something "native" to modern Mexico, etc. That's what I was referring to.

We're all "forced" into many matters don't the line back in each of our histories going back centuries. But we don't have to wear that chip on our shoulders (hint hint). Jeez, people are so touchy these days...
Yup. This whole idea of being "forced" into believing just about anything, baffles me...

Encouraged is one thing. But "forced"?

Old 05-31-2023, 11:58 AM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Yup. This whole idea of being "forced" into believing just about anything, baffles me...
Encouraged is one thing. But "forced"?
We should not try to deny the egregious history of Catholic "forcing." It is undeniable, just ask whatever Cathars may exist today, Mink.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Back off the nose candy and then please explain the process of how Catholicism was "forced" on the natives of Mexico.
Umm its called "convert or die." I am of Spanish descent. I don't sugar coat what people of my own ethnicity have done across the Americas. In Mexico, the indigenous beliefs do shine through a bit though. Its seen in celebrations such as Dia de los Muertos which have been fused with Spanish catholicism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity