Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2023, 12:37 AM

461 posts, read 23,305 times

Advertisements

There is a big bunch of code in the Book of Revelation. It was written during a period of persecution. Trouble for us today is: we've lost the code. To take it literally and at face value is simply a huge mistake.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_of_Patmos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 01:14 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,799,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
Revelation was controversial from the start as to whether it belonged in the NT at all. It is standard stuff of the apocalyptic genre. The events of 62-70 AD would have enough to badly discourage Christians and/or make them think the end was surely at hand. I see Revelation as a pep talk for first century Christians and of little or no relevance beyond that. Passages like Matthew 24 are pretty much all a Christian needs to know, IMO.

I am no particular brand of Christian, nor am I preaching. I happen to believe, for reasons having nothing to do with religious literature, that our reality is extremely "thin" and not at all what materialists perceive it to be. I do believe God will bring it to an end and that when He does the transformation will be instantaneous, without anything even vaguely resembling the hoopla of Revelation.

I am as far from a sheeple as it is humanly possible to be. Richard Dawkins is a sheeple in comparison. I don't know what you think you "know how it works," but your statement is of no relevance to me whatsoever.
Ok, you're one of those free-wheeling christians that doesn't conform to any certain denomination. I hear ya. I also heard from you that "my church is in my head; there are about 300 members". What do we do with that?

Yeah, most average Christians hate the word "sheeple". That's usually what happens when I say it. You took it personally and I was speaking in general. But if the shoe fits......"sheeple" is just a reference from the bible about sheep+people=sheeple who blindly follow a shepherd, even though that shepherd doesn't know a damn thing about where it's going because the shepherd is himself, a sheeple. You will hear the word sheeple here a lot.

How is Richard Dawkins a sheeple? That's hilarious. 'I'm not a sheeple, you are".

I'm going to tell you a little story. I never do that. My father fancied himself a "non-denominational" preacher, with absolutely no credentials to be one. He even started his own church and at first, there were around 25 people who actually attended. The "church" was on our property, in a huge metal work building out back.

I was forced to go, of course. Little by little, one by one, all of the attendees started dropping out of sight. Eventually there were none. Why do you suppose that is? He had bad breath.

He was a fundamental psycho and if you disagreed with him, there was hell to pay. Eventually, everyone saw his madness. He messed with the wrong people a few times, even his own Evangelical "real Pastor" brother.

Fists were always flying. My Dad confronted a man one time and the man cold-cocked him in the face.....he broke my Dad's nose, busted a hole in his lip and broke his dentures in half. I couldn't help but be a little giddy.

My point is, if you are claiming to be a christian but you don't attend church and then you say "my church is in my head"....well......I think I just made my point.

Old 08-17-2023, 04:06 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
By any standard, what occurred at Fatima was bizarre and remarkable. Ditto for Zeitoun, which is far less known. I am not Catholic, but I have read extensively about both. Fatima is also a popular topic within the UFO research community. Far from what many people think, the Catholic Church is actually very rigorous and demanding about certifying Marian apparitions, cases of demonic possession, and miracles.
Tom Campbell (& Robert Monroe) has offered some explanations that make sense.
Consciousness supersedes the material plane, and resolves the conflict between Quantum physics and Relativity as well as "other" stuff.
(The Theory of Everything : BIG TOE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zstsJ7-ULM0

More fun - - -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CL_bU4O0A4

Last edited by jetgraphics; 08-17-2023 at 04:44 AM..

Old 08-19-2023, 07:07 AM

88,619 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Back in the 1990's, McDonald's had 8 items priced at 88 cents. No deities seemed to care. Maybe they weren't hungry for an Egg McMuffin.
Nazis behind that, obviously!

Old 08-19-2023, 09:43 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Back in the 1990's, McDonald's had 8 items priced at 88 cents. No deities seemed to care. Maybe they weren't hungry for an Egg McMuffin.
Ronald Mcdonald for antichrist!!!

Old 08-19-2023, 10:11 AM

88,619 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Ronald Mcdonald for antichrist!!!
I knew it!

Old 08-19-2023, 10:12 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I knew it!
Ha ha. But of course, I jest.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:36 AM

251 posts, read 77,756 times
Breaking News:

"A thousand Christians have fled their homes and are now sleeping rough after they were targeted by rampaging mobs.

Aid to the Church in Need (ACN) reports that the level of destruction in Jaranwala, near Faisalabad, has been "down to the last lightbulb".

Churches have not been spared in this week's wave of violence. According to ACN, the number of churches and chapels targeted has risen to 21, with one source in the country who cannot be named for security reasons saying that many of them were set on fire and "nothing is left".

The source told ACN that up to 1,000 Christians were forced to sleep in sugar cane fields after narrowly escaping rampaging mobs." - 1,000 Christians forced to sleep rough after mob violence in Pakistan

Old 08-20-2023, 06:33 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07-07-07 View Post
Breaking News:

"A thousand Christians have fled their homes and are now sleeping rough after they were targeted by rampaging mobs.

Aid to the Church in Need (ACN) reports that the level of destruction in Jaranwala, near Faisalabad, has been "down to the last lightbulb".

Churches have not been spared in this week's wave of violence. According to ACN, the number of churches and chapels targeted has risen to 21, with one source in the country who cannot be named for security reasons saying that many of them were set on fire and "nothing is left".

The source told ACN that up to 1,000 Christians were forced to sleep in sugar cane fields after narrowly escaping rampaging mobs." - 1,000 Christians forced to sleep rough after mob violence in Pakistan
That in Pakistan. The Taliban is a violent organization in control of the country.

That's not an indication that the world is coming to an end.

Not all countries have Freedom Of Religion, and that has nothing to do with the end of the world. There are now, and have always been, places with official state religions, most of which are not Christian.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:20 PM

251 posts, read 77,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That in Pakistan. The Taliban is a violent organization in control of the country.

That's not an indication that the world is coming to an end.

Not all countries have Freedom Of Religion, and that has nothing to do with the end of the world. There are now, and have always been, places with official state religions, most of which are not Christian.
You would need to read throughout this thread to see of the other nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity