Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 02:41 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times

Advertisements

My sister told me her daughter would like to get together with me when we come to CA next month. I barely know this niece at all. Only spoken to her a couple times. But she and her "partner" want to get together with me.

I'm not anticipating any problems but in the off-chance that she says something like, "You're more open than the others, so you won't disapprove of us, right?" or something to that effect. What if she presses me for my opinion or approval? (my whole extended family is conservative Christians so no one knows what to think)

She's 27 or so, a recent "convert" as she was straight her whole life. I personally think she came to gayness when she was unsuccessful finding a guy (she is quite obese), but that's just my opinion. She is kind of "loud and proud" and wants the pronoun thing, etc. I have no idea of her spiritual state.

I'm fine with gays and like them, but it's never been pushed in my face by those I've known. I know as Christians we need to accept and love them, not our place to judge, etc.

In the event that she puts me on the spot, so to speak, any advice? Kinda dreading it, to be honest....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 02:58 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
My sister told me her daughter would like to get together with me when we come to CA next month. I barely know this niece at all. Only spoken to her a couple times. But she and her "partner" want to get together with me.

I'm not anticipating any problems but in the off-chance that she says something like, "You're more open than the others, so you won't disapprove of us, right?" or something to that effect. What if she presses me for my opinion or approval? (my whole extended family is conservative Christians so no one knows what to think)

She's 27 or so, a recent "convert" as she was straight her whole life. I personally think she came to gayness when she was unsuccessful finding a guy (she is quite obese), but that's just my opinion. She is kind of "loud and proud" and wants the pronoun thing, etc. I have no idea of her spiritual state.

I'm fine with gays and like them, but it's never been pushed in my face by those I've known. I know as Christians we need to accept and love them, not our place to judge, etc.

In the event that she puts me on the spot, so to speak, any advice? Kinda dreading it, to be honest....
Honestly, I think she would probably appreciate it if you were just to treat her like you would treat anybody else. If she makes an issue of her sexuality, I'd probably just tell her that what she does in her own bedroom is of no concern to you.

Old 08-15-2023, 02:59 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:

I would just keep it low key and honest

You are obviously someone who is aware that people generally do have different perspectives and views and that is what you would want to say

Its not so much about you approving or disapproving, It is more about you accepting her decisions for her life isn’t it?

Old 08-15-2023, 03:01 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
27 and "loud and proud"...I'd be dreading it too.

You could tell her that you accept her for who she is and not to push the issue further.

If she does push then ask her why is she trying to push her value system on you ?

Old 08-15-2023, 03:13 PM

1,000 posts, read 788,193 times
Ask Her why the gay community gets an entire month of recognition, and the Veterans and Native Americans only get 1 Day. Just Curious.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
Ask Her why the gay community gets an entire month of recognition, and the Veterans and Native Americans only get 1 Day. Just Curious.
Unless she's looking for a fight, I'd argue against this suggestion.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:18 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
You don't have to say anything, pro or con. Don't sign up for any statement that will lead to trouble with one group or the other. Stay clear of it for best results; stay neutral. There's no requirement to get involved.

Give the "dilemma" back to them, and say No Thanks.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:19 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
This situation is different then an unsolicited opinion.

She is asking you to meet and talk, and wants your opinions.

Find a way to speak Jesus to her.

May take a bunch of prayer.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:27 PM

If she's "loud and proud," I wouldn't do anything to rile her up. I suspect that most gays/lesbians who are "loud and proud" have been hurt by judgmental people and just feel the need to fight back. If you show her that you're not interested in a fight, I think you'll probably be okay.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:55 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:

I'd give the Biblical response: that it's sin. But that doesn't mean you hate her, or that you wish bad things for her. Disapproving of a lifestyle doesn't mean we hate someone. The same could be said in reverse of anyone that thinks Christianity is wrong. We shouldn't think all gay people hate all Christians, or vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity