Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 04:19 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times

Advertisements

You should repent and seek out more the face of God, and then you would definitely have the confidence to tell atheist who are dying in this world the real truth of Christ, and His promises of heaven is a real place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 05:27 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_wager

Old 02-10-2024, 05:59 PM

1,339 posts, read 651,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
haha, I once heard a Catholic priest say in an interview:

"if God is not real, we lose anything. if God is real, we benefit from it and the atheists are in trouble"

Old 02-10-2024, 07:58 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
haha, I once heard a Catholic priest say in an interview:

"if God is not real, we lose anything. if God is real, we benefit from it and the atheists are in trouble"
I believe that if God is real, we're all (believers and unbelievers alike) going to benefit from it.

Old 02-10-2024, 09:44 PM

woops....typo. meant to say the Catholic priest said "if God is not real, we lose nothing." in other words, when we die, we won't know we're dead. we won't know that we are/were wrong. it'll be like before we were born.

Old 02-10-2024, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I believe that if God is real, we're all (believers and unbelievers alike) going to benefit from it.
that does make sense.

If we are right and if there is something out there, I think anyone who does not believe or refuses to believe will have a change of mind and heart once they are in the real presence of God. Only exception to this is if the person truly has the heart of anger and even after death, the person's spirit still has hatred for God. sometimes, the hate can be healed. but sometimes, not.

Old 02-11-2024, 02:02 AM

24,604 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
How do you know that?
Because we already did it before we were born. Because we do it every night: lose consciousness.

We sleep, we go under general anesthesia, we have comas, we nap, we pass out, we get black out drunk

It's the same concept. I had surgery in December, I could've been dead, I have zero memory or awareness of what happened. None.

Eternal life sounds really cool, but when we go to sleep tonight, outside of dreams, there is just...nothing. That's what death is: the lack of consciousness. A permeant coma or nap.

Quote:
So the question again......what if we're wrong?

What is nothing happens after we die?
Then you've wasted your time doing things you could've spent doing something else.

It's hardly a tragedy. We couldn't change it even if we wanted to.

Old 02-11-2024, 04:25 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
I was tempted to post this in the Religion forum but I am hesitant because there are atheists who will feed on it and use it to mock and throw insults at Christians which won't make this thread productive at all.

So the question again......what if we're wrong?

What is nothing happens after we die? I do not believe that "nothing" happens. I do believe that "something" happens. I'm just not sure what that something will be.

Some people who have died and were brought back to life more than 10 minutes after their heart stopped beating have reported two different things: fade to black and seeing/experiencing absolutely nothing (they exhaled their last breath one second and the next second, they were looking up at people who were trying to revive them) and seeing a bright light through a tunnel and a feeling of utmost love and peace.

I guess this is all dependent on the person and their beliefs.

I had a realization though...

When we sleep, sometimes we dream and sometimes we remember our dream. But when we have a lucid dream, it feels like we're in another world. Another realm. We have no sense of what is going on in the real world or what is going on with our real body. We're in the "world" that our brains have created in REM sleep.

Is this how it will feel like when we die? Imagine being in a completely different world and then snapping out of it, waking up, opening your eyes, and realizing it's morning. Now imagine being a completely different world except this time, it is permanent. Never snapping out of it. When we are in that different world, we actually don't realize it. Our minds are in that world. We don't know we are sleeping. We are completely in that world. We don't know we are sleeping until we wake up and realize "wow, that was a crazy dream".

When we die, same scenario except this time....it will be permanent. No snapping out. No waking up. No sense of the real world. If nothing really does happen after we die, there will be no dream. But just like when we are dreaming, we will have no idea that we are not dreaming. Just nothingness permanently.

Atheists have no problem with this and have accepted this idea. I'm struggling with this idea and I think "something" happens to us after death.

This is all hypothetical but this is just a random thought that occurred to me when I thought about how our minds are like when we are sleeping.
I’ve always thought that if I’m wrong about my belief in God, and in His word, I’ve lost nothing.

If the atheist is wrong, they lose everything.

Old 02-11-2024, 04:31 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Because we already did it before we were born. Because we do it every night: lose consciousness.

We sleep, we go under general anesthesia, we have comas, we nap, we pass out, we get black out drunk

It's the same concept. I had surgery in December, I could've been dead, I have zero memory or awareness of what happened. None.

Eternal life sounds really cool, but when we go to sleep tonight, outside of dreams, there is just...nothing. That's what death is: the lack of consciousness. A permeant coma or nap.

Then you've wasted your time doing things you could've spent doing something else.

It's hardly a tragedy. We couldn't change it even if we wanted to.
It all boils down to whether you trust in the promises of God or not. It’s a choice. Jesus has told us in His word that we will receive eternal life if we abide in Him.

We absolutely can change if we want to. If that were not so, Jesus could not have commanded us to repent if it were not possible.

Last edited by MissKate12; 02-11-2024 at 04:39 AM..

Old 02-11-2024, 05:16 AM

537 posts, read 392,682 times
Awe and wonder about the world and nature benefit us every day in our lives, bring us joy, and help us to feel more connected to the world.

Forgiving others, care of others, and compassion for others benefit us and benefit those around us every single day. These things help us have meaning and purpose in our lives and provide connections to others - help us feel more whole and alive.

These are core concepts in most religions. These may be core concepts for people who don't participate in organized religion too.

I think focusing on every day and what is in front of us is what makes the most sense in our life's journey. I don't see focusing on what happens after death as being something to spend time on or worry about.

I could though see that beliefs of an after life might be a source of comfort for those who are suffering greatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity