Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 05:12 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,958,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post

........................So the question again......what if we're wrong?
What is nothing happens after we die? I do not believe that "nothing" happens. I do believe that "something" happens. I'm just not sure what that something will be.
Some people who have died and were brought back to life more than 10 minutes after their heart stopped beating have reported two different things: fade to black and seeing/experiencing absolutely nothing (they exhaled their last breath one second and the next second, they were looking up at people who were trying to revive them) and seeing a bright light through a tunnel and a feeling of utmost love and peace.
I guess this is all dependent on the person and their beliefs.
I had a realization though...
When we sleep, sometimes we dream and sometimes we remember our dream. But when we have a lucid dream, it feels like we're in another world. Another realm. We have no sense of what is going on in the real world or what is going on with our real body. We're in the "world" that our brains have created in REM sleep.
Is this how it will feel like when we die? Imagine being in a completely different world and then snapping out of it, waking up, opening your eyes, and realizing it's morning. Now imagine being a completely different world except this time, it is permanent. Never snapping out of it. When we are in that different world, we actually don't realize it. Our minds are in that world. We don't know we are sleeping. We are completely in that world. We don't know we are sleeping until we wake up and realize "wow, that was a crazy dream".
When we die, same scenario except this time....it will be permanent. No snapping out. No waking up. No sense of the real world. If nothing really does happen after we die, there will be no dream. But just like when we are dreaming, we will have no idea that we are not dreaming. Just nothingness permanently.
Atheists have no problem with this and have accepted this idea. I'm struggling with this idea and I think "something" happens to us after death.
This is all hypothetical but this is just a random thought that occurred to me when I thought about how our minds are like when we are sleeping.
I find Jesus believed in 'something'. That 'something' was future resurrection - John 6:40,44
The ' last day ' in connection to Jesus' coming Millennium-Long Day governing over Earth for one-thousand years.
I suppose one might say being resurrected is in connection to being 'snapped out of it '( death ).
Just as we are Not conscious of what is going on around us while deep asleep the dead 'know nothing ' Ecclesiastes 9:5
Nothing but death's deep sleep til Resurrection Day - John 11:11-14; Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18 ; Acts 24:15
This 1,000 year day is when enemy death will be No more on Earth - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 05:48 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Quote:
haha, I once heard a Catholic priest say in an interview:

"if God is not real, we lose anything. if God is real, we benefit from it and the atheists are in trouble"

yeah, but if God sent YOU to help save the atheist, then who is in more trouble ?

Old 02-11-2024, 06:42 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
If God didn't exist, then I would have to invent him. I would not function as well or be as joyful in a world this randomly unfair. I would have to invent something to give me hope and balance.

If Heaven did not exist, then it wouldn't really matter once we are gone either we. Of course, If life is good then I would cling to life much harder if I knew there was no Heaven.

If I knew there was no God or Heaven and I was in severe dire straits, then suicide would be a logical option for me to escape severe suffering or pain or anguish, rather than enduring the suffering and trusting to God's Will.

My life, my emotional well being, and my mental health are all far better for having faith in the Lord God and His Son Jesus Christ and Holy Ghost, than without. When I was younger, my faith was much more casual and I sadly missed out on much strength and comfort and meanings of things that would have been superior had I then, my current bounty of Faith in God.

Old 02-11-2024, 07:15 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What if we are? We won’t know the difference, but we will have had the comfort of our religion during our lives.
I like this!!! ^^^^ The God I encountered can be completely trusted to love and care for each one of us no matter what we profess to believe or not believe about Him, IMO. That kind of makes concerns about the specifics of belief irrelevant and puts the focus on what we are BECOMING by what we DO. In fact, the focus on what to believe ABOUT God in our unique consciousness has been misguided. How we USE our unique consciousness (for Good or Evil) is and always has been the primary concern, IMO because Compwiz is correct. We do NOT know and CANNOT know whether or not what specifics we believe ABOUT God are wrong. (Well, I know the fear of God's wrath and vengeance (with eternal punishment) is utter nonsense, but that is because of my encounter.)

Old 02-11-2024, 07:27 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,920,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I like this!!! ^^^^ The God I encountered can be completely trusted to love and care for each one of us no matter what we profess to believe or not believe about Him, IMO. That kind of makes concerns about the specifics of belief irrelevant and puts the focus on what we are BECOMING by what we DO. In fact, the focus on what to believe ABOUT God in our unique consciousness has been misguided. How we USE our unique consciousness (for Good or Evil) is and always has been the primary concern, IMO because Compwiz is correct. We do NOT know and CANNOT know whether or not what specifics we believe ABOUT God are wrong. (Well, I know the fear of God's wrath and vengeance (with eternal punishment) is utter nonsense,but that is because of my encounter.)
yep

and to the bold: double yep.

Old 02-11-2024, 07:47 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,005,048 times
I believe in reincarnation. And in God, as a higher power/energy. I've been into yoga (meditation) for more than 30 years. I had to experiment with it, to test it and see what it was all about. I had questions and no answers in the beginning. Actually, I didn't even have the right questions when I started.

And then after experimenting, I became a believer.

I can't believe blindly in anything, first I need to experiment. It's like science in fact. I have a rational mind and I have to use it to convince myself about x or y.

I don't think that atheists are bad people. I know very moral good people who do not believe in God. And I know church going people who believe in God but are not moral. So...to each their own.

Old 02-11-2024, 08:13 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:

What is nothing happens after we die? I do not believe that "nothing" happens. I do believe that "something" happens. I'm just not sure what that something will be.
When we die, our bodies become worm food. Our minds cease at the time of death.

Old 02-11-2024, 08:14 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Quote:
I was tempted to post this in the Religion forum but I am hesitant because there are atheists who will feed on it and use it to mock and throw insults at Christians which won't make this thread productive at all.

So the question again......what if we're wrong?

Some people who have died and were brought back to life more than 10 minutes after their heart stopped beating have reported two different things: fade to black and seeing/experiencing absolutely nothing (they exhaled their last breath one second and the next second, they were looking up at people who were trying to revive them) and seeing a bright light through a tunnel and a feeling of utmost love and peace.

I guess this is all dependent on the person and their beliefs.

I had a realization though...

When we sleep, sometimes we dream and sometimes we remember our dream. But when we have a lucid dream, it feels like we're in another world. Another realm. We have no sense of what is going on in the real world or what is going on with our real body. We're in the "world" that our brains have created in REM sleep.

Is this how it will feel like when we die? Imagine being in a completely different world and then snapping out of it, waking up, opening your eyes, and realizing it's morning. Now imagine being a completely different world except this time, it is permanent. Never snapping out of it. When we are in that different world, we actually don't realize it. Our minds are in that world. We don't know we are sleeping. We are completely in that world. We don't know we are sleeping until we wake up and realize "wow, that was a crazy dream".

When we die, same scenario except this time....it will be permanent. No snapping out. No waking up. No sense of the real world. If nothing really does happen after we die, there will be no dream. But just like when we are dreaming, we will have no idea that we are not dreaming. Just nothingness permanently.

Atheists have no problem with this and have accepted this idea. I'm struggling with this idea and I think "something" happens to us after death.

This is all hypothetical but this is just a random thought that occurred to me when I thought about how our minds are like when we are sleeping.
Now imagine you had a dream that in a blink of an eye Jesus showed you everything you ever did in your life (but from HIS perspective) and how those things affected others, their lives.

When you 'woke back up', would you now do anything different in your life?

Old 02-11-2024, 09:53 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
When we die, our bodies become worm food. Our minds cease at the time of death.
Our bodies definitely decay. Our mind (consciousness) ceases "producing the fruit" (of our Spirit) but what has been produced that isn't "rotten" throughout our lifetime is "harvested" by God. That is what the "two men in a field" refers to. Our "rotten fruit" is "left behind" and the "good fruit is harvested." (We should probably be concerned about what the "30, 60, and 100 fold" means.)

Old 02-11-2024, 10:33 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
We also believe only Jesus came back from the dead.
What if God sends souls back to earth to live again ?
There are people out there that describe past lives.

If it's not the end of times then that's possible that our souls might come back.
JHC I hope you are wrong about this. Although, we can't really explain dejavu. So there's that. But please please please, don't hope for a repeat. Or coming back as a mosquito. No thank you.

I don't believe in souls so no problem there. It's just the thought of having to re-do this shette life over and over again. Reincarnation is not something I'm on board with. I'm much more content thinking that I cease to exist altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity