Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:26 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,559,127 times

Advertisements

Just my opinion but the subject of did He or didn't He drink wine usually just causes harsh words and bitterness. I don't think it has anything to do with our salvation..t-totalers will say it was always grapejuice, others will say wine.. I have seen members almost change churches(referring to building here) because of the arguement during Sunday School or Wednesday nights meetings..I think it was wine, simply because of the lack of refrigeration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:32 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,886,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
It was real wine. Alchohol and all...
I also believe He had the tolerance of a good Irishman.

After His translation He performed His first recorded miracle, making water into wine, which was not a breaking of the law, like turning a stone into bread would have been.

He added the component parts to the water, it was a wedding, i bet it was the best wine ever made.

godspeed,

freedom
LOL As and IRISHwoMAN I have no idea what you are talking about

Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,758,544 times
I agree with you Blue..sometimes I just dont get it..I once started to tell a joke to a guy about what kinda car did the apostle drive and before i could even get out the punch line he was mad at me cause he said"blaspemy"-lol..i think though sometimes people want to be offended, or at least it sure seems like they do.
by the way it was an honda accord..in acts it says they were "one accord" lol

one day all of our silly little squabbles wont matter, and if its really that important we can ask Jesus what kind of wine it was.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,758,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
LOL As and IRISHwoMAN I have no idea what you are talking about
hey lets be leaving the Irish out of it aye

Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,559,127 times
There's a wee bit o' the Irish in blue too..I will pass on the wine, and leave you with an old Irish Toast..

May your glass be ever full,
May the roof over your head be always strong,
And may you be in heaven
Half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
There's a wee bit o' the Irish in blue too..I will pass on the wine, and leave you with an old Irish Toast..

May your glass be ever full,
May the roof over your head be always strong,
And may you be in heaven
Half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.
Oh, to know I am in good McCompany...
A little Praryer I will Share:

Grant me a Sense of humor Lord
The Saving Grace to see a joke
To win some happiness from life
And pass it on to other folk

Last edited by skbs; 09-10-2008 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM

537 posts, read 1,325,169 times
I was a member of a church that insisted it was grapejuice, but that clearly cannot be so, because it talks about the wineskins bursting. Only fermentation can make the wineskins burst.

I personally hate the taste of wine for drinking, but use it for cooking, on occasion.

I read somewhere that our wine today is not equivelant to what they drank, not sure about that, but food for thought.

The main issue that people have discussing this topic is when it comes to culture perceptions and causing a brother/sister in Christ to stumble. The case is we should not be doing anything that will hinder unbelievers (by perceptions), or causing a Believer to stumble (they had past alcohol abuse etc.).

Last edited by Asthedeer; 09-10-2008 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asthedeer View Post
I

The main issue that people have discussing this topic is when it comes to culture perceptions and causing a brother/sister in Christ to stumble. The case is we should not be doing anything that will hinder unbelievers (by perceptions), or causing a Believer to stumble (they had past alcohol abuse etc.).
Would you mind clarifying that? Are you saying that even the mention of alcohol can cause a person to stumble? So it shouldn't even be discussed? hence the tension of the topic? Or am I totally confused?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:44 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,290,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
They called Jesus a winebibber... what's the big deal if it was just grapejuice..

godspeed,

freedom
Funny how the Bible literalists suddenly don't take it so literal when it comes to the word "wine".

Wine is about the only alcohol I drink. In small portions (one or two glasses) it's relaxing and healthy.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:45 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,290,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Just my opinion but the subject of did He or didn't He drink wine usually just causes harsh words and bitterness. I don't think it has anything to do with our salvation..t-totalers will say it was always grapejuice, others will say wine.. I have seen members almost change churches(referring to building here) because of the arguement during Sunday School or Wednesday nights meetings..I think it was wine, simply because of the lack of refrigeration.
I've read somthing about that too - that back then with the lack of refrigeration, wine keeps well. Plus something about the water not being very clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity