Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:45 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,748,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Funny how the Bible literalists suddenly don't take it so literal when it comes to the word "wine".

Wine is about the only alcohol I drink. In small portions (one or two glasses) it's relaxing and healthy.
im a literalist and i do take it literally when it says wine.

and muscadine wine aint too bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:48 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,523,795 times
I never cared for the taste of traditional wines, but do enjoy the flavored "coolers" once in a while..or a Bud light

Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 AM

537 posts, read 1,323,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Would you mind clarifying that? Are you saying that even the mention of alcohol can cause a person to stumble? So it shouldn't even be discussed? hence the tension of the topic? Or am I totally confused?
Sure. No, not the mention.

Let's say you know a brother/sister in Christ used to be an alcoholic and it is a temptation for them to be around it, you invite them over and drink alcohol in front of them or even offer them some, then that could cause them to stumble/fall into that temptation.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,346,783 times
I've always thought that there must have been a good reason why Jesus and his disciples were invited to the wedding. I believe they were fun to have around.
And let's face it, 20-30 GALLONS OF WINE!
Those guys were feeling no pain

Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,523,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asthedeer View Post

Let's say you know a brother/sister in Christ used to be an alcoholic and it is a temptation for them to be around it, you invite them over and drink alcohol in front of them or even offer them some, then that could cause them to stumble/fall into that temptation.

I agree, that is definitely a stumbling block.. Not to mention very poor behavior..

Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,874,941 times
Quote:

Oh, well, I think that is just common courtesy/respect for others... I think that should be the case regardless...I have friends and family who have quit drinking and we don't serve it to or around them...

Old 09-10-2008, 12:32 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,889,112 times
Well...if it was only grape juice, as some believe, then when we are looking to ordain new deacons, elders, bishops, etc....those who drink much juice should be automatically skipped over from the selection process. And you grandmothers and older ladies: for crying out loud...AVOID juice...at all cost!

1 Timothy 3
2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3Not given to wine...

8Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine

Titus 2:3
The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine

There is nothing wrong with being a tee-totaler. On the other hand, nothing wrong with having a glass of wine...or juice...either. (but not too excess)

So, back to OP question: was it wine, or juice?

It was wine. A church can insist it was juice all they want, but that's not what I'm seeing from reading the Bible...

Bud

Old 09-10-2008, 12:39 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,037,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Well...if it was only grape juice, as some believe, then when we are looking to ordain new deacons, elders, bishops, etc....those who drink much juice should be automatically skipped over from the selection process. And you grandmothers and older ladies: for crying out loud...AVOID juice...at all cost!

1 Timothy 3
2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3Not given to wine...

8Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine

Titus 2:3
The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine

There is nothing wrong with being a tee-totaler. On the other hand, nothing wrong with having a glass of wine...or juice...either. (but not too excess)

So, back to OP question: was it wine, or juice?

It was wine. A church can insist it was juice all they want, but that's not what I'm seeing from reading the Bible...

Bud

Down with Demon Welch's!!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:05 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,245,901 times
Quote:

If I invite people over who don't drink because they had a drinking problem in the past, I don't get out the wine, that's just common courtesy. Now if it's someone who just doesn't drink period, for religious views or because they don't like it, then I might have a glass of wine with dinner, but I don't see that as putting temtation in front of them if they never had a drinking problem.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:52 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,286,053 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
John 2

BibleGateway.com: Search for a Bible passage in over 35 languages and 50 versions.

Many people believe Jesus did not drink alcoholic wine... but if that were the case, why would the above statement have been written in the bible? People serve the cheaper wine when guests don't know any better, after drinking too much alcohol... why would Jesus turn water into alcohol if we aren't supposed to drink it? I believe it was actually true WINE...alcohol... that is my own interpretation... at my church we are given wine instead of juice at Commuinion... I am just curious about others take on this....I actually began thinking about it last night when reading the Fundamentalist thread and I said I enjoyed dancing after a glass of wine... of course I was being a bit of a smarty pants... but it is true... I do drink wine... not in excess...but I personally do not find anything morally wrong with it... but that is my own beliefs...

Where do you think, they may have gotten the ETOH from?, since you would have to add this volume to the wine...
Since this was a miracle, then what would lead on e to think that Jesus would someting as deceitful as this, since there is no "darkness in Him, it would seem evil to supernaturally make alcohol;
As for wine , kosher that is and that is more than likely what the Hebrews consumed during their celebrations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity