Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can mortal man be 100% perfect in their lives?
Yes 1 2.70%
No 31 83.78%
Yes & No 3 8.11%
Other: Please add below 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:39 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,157,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
The thing with perfection is that it makes growing impossible.
So people who believe that they can learn things in heaven are mistaken; growth is not possible in heaven, because if you are able to grow it means that you weren’t perfect before your growth which means that heaven wasn't perfect.
Besidez, there is no need to grow in heaven because everything is already supposed to be perfect there.
Believe it or not, I actually agree with the logic of this post. It has a whole lot more truth in it than most people will comprehend, with how they view the after-life.

But we are called to overcome evil and be perfect here while in the flesh. Until this happens, we should strive for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 11:45 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,240,899 times
Originally Posted by j760
Quote:
There is a place before heaven where you can grow that I believe in, and it's called Purgatory.
I see no difference between a life on earth and purgatory.

Originally Posted by HotinAZ
Quote:
Until this happens, we should strive for it!
My goal in life is to grow; I find perfection irrelevant.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 AM

810 posts, read 1,438,268 times
I've skimmed through most of the posts and am amazed by the differences in beliefs and interpretations. We can't all be right...

I don't think that flaws make up our character. I think our gift of free will makes up our character. We can pick and choose what we prefer...and we do have inherited tendencies for talents and abilities. If we get rid of flaws I think we'd still have character.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 PM

396 posts, read 838,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asthedeer View Post
*Oh, and what is this Mary assumption? That she never physically died?*
It's a Catholic teaching that she was assumed into heaven, that she never physically died.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:06 PM

396 posts, read 838,557 times
I keep trying to reply to this post, but my pager keeps going off every time I do, so I applogize that it's taken so long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Here's a few questions.
As a Catholic, Has the Blessed Virgin appeared to people in the last 2,000 yrs.?

Does Jesus still have His body?

Did Elijah and Moses appeared in bodily form to Jesus and a couple of the disciples, and were witnesses to the transfiguration of Jesus where He took on the divine nature?

After Jesus raised Lazarus, did He have to die again?

This does relate to perfection, in that the last enemy to overcome is death and the path to that is perfection.

godspeed,

freedom
After the resurection (with the exception of the Blessed Virgin Mary), I do not believe there were any bodily assumptions into heaven. Not to be gross here, but it helps prove my point, although you will probably say that these people in my example went to hell or something. My previous employer held a contract with the County Coroners Office to do body recoveries. I have seen MULTIPLE states of body decomp ranging from fresh death (pre-rigor) to "down time" of MULTIPLE WEEKS in which we had to use Self Contained Breathing Apparatus and use hoses to clean out the back of the truck after. Not only that, but you can't tell me that even children go to hell (as there have been many of us that have transported the bodies of children). I believe in "Incorruptables" - Saints whose bodies (or parts there-of) did not decompose after death, and I believe in ghosts, but not the assumptions that you are trying to get me to believe in.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,444,552 times
Perfection according to whose standard? Man's standard says: I am better than you. Jesus standard says: We are made perfect in Him and Him alone.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:57 PM

702 posts, read 2,296,681 times
I'm perfect, and I'm an atheist.

Common sense and an open mind tells me to live simply, within my means, and to not purposefully hurt any living creature, except mosquitos. I consider it self defense.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
I'm perfect, and I'm an atheist.

Common sense and an open mind tells me to live simply, within my means, and to not purposefully hurt any living creature, except mosquitos. I consider it self defense.
Okay.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:35 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,188,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Perfection according to whose standard? Man's standard says: I am better than you. Jesus standard says: We are made perfect in Him and Him alone.
Repped.

To be perfect is to be consumed with Him - after seeing the awful truth of what we are. Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? (Eph 4:9) To paraphrase, you cannot be filled with life unless you are first emptied of death.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Repped.

To be perfect is to be consumed with Him - after seeing the awful truth of what we are. Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? (Eph 4:9) To paraphrase, you cannot be filled with life unless you are first emptied of death.
Who have ears let them hear what the Spirit is saying to you. Here is wisdom.

Right back at you! God Speed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity