Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times

Advertisements

Episcpalians priests are accepted into the RC Church. wife, kids and all but I guess that is going on to another topic (married priesthood)

Old 11-20-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Episcpalians priests are accepted into the RC Church. wife, kids and all but I guess that is going on to another topic (married priesthood)
And we know Good Catholics were forbidden to speak about married priesthood by John Paul II in fact a number of dedicated Catholics were excommunicated for it by their Holy bishop.

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 PM

John Paul II bishops speak out and threaten Catholics that voted for Obama yet remained silent when children were being sexually abused.
The funny part about the threats against those that were voting for Obama is the fact the Church does not have a clear history of being prolife and actually held a prochoice view.
So much for tradition and teaching that never changes.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:20 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times
Quote:
I may be on thin ice here but I thought the churches of the Anglecan Communion which includes the Episcopalians are not considered Protestants.
That they are part of the England reform movement vs Protestants are considered the German reform movement.
If you are not Catholic and are Christian, then you are Protestant. It simply means a person who protests. (the Catholic Church).

Old 11-21-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
If you are not Catholic and are Christian, then you are Protestant. It simply means a person who protests. (the Catholic Church).
So would you include the Eastern Orthodox Church as a Protestant Church?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:53 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times
Quote:
So would you include the Eastern Orthodox Church as a Protestant Church?
Obviously not. You are CORRECT, my definition was not broad enough. You got me. You win!!! Don, what does this man win.
He wins a dead thread............

And for the record:
They didn't protest like the boys in Europe. Their separation had less to do with religion and more to do with politics. They just didn't want to take orders from Rome.

So you're a hair splitter, are you? Since I already know you answer your own posts, I would say that you are probably hard to get along with. Well, at least I liked you a little while.

See ya, good luck, and peace be with you.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:21 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
Quote:
Episcopalians are a Sacramental Church unlike Protestant Churches, no?
Lutherans are also a sacramental church, butg only count Baptism and Communion as sacraments

There is a fine line though as Lutherns believe that communion is not a re-enactmnet of the death of Christ and is not necessary to take communion to have sins forgiven**, but that God commands we do this, and that he is truly present in the elements [but cosabstantiation vs transubstantiation, wheras many other protestands feel communion is just a commemorative event]

I think this is it...........

**Catholic - Chirst dies each mass for new sins, the death on the cross was for original sin The mass forgives
***Luhteran - Christ died once for all sin past and future. Communion is God meeting us in some way we don't understand but he is there during the communion.

There are no differences on baptism

Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,525 times
Moderator cut: removed orphaned quote

I have the utmost respect for individuals who hold their Catholic faith in high regards. When they make a stand for the life of the unborn I'm impressed! I have been inspired by their devotion.

HOWEVER...I do not find biblical truth to some of the doctrines put forth by the Church. In the instance of praying to Mary and other Saints, the explanation given to explain how they are not praying to Mary usually starts like this, "We are not praying to Mary, we are just asking for her help..." So how are you asking for her help if you are not praying to her?

Yes, I agree that the Catholic Church can be credited for Christmas. They basically diluted pagan holidays...kept all of the traditions associated with the worship to other Gods and just slapped a 'Jesus' birthday' sticker on it to gain more political power.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 11-21-2008 at 06:36 AM..

Old 11-21-2008, 06:08 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Lutherans are also a sacramental church, butg only count Baptism and Communion as sacraments

There is a fine line though as Lutherns believe that communion is not a re-enactmnet of the death of Christ and is not necessary to take communion to have sins forgiven**, but that God commands we do this, and that he is truly present in the elements [but cosabstantiation vs transubstantiation, wheras many other protestands feel communion is just a commemorative event]

I think this is it...........

**Catholic - Chirst dies each mass for new sins, the death on the cross was for original sin The mass forgives
***Luhteran - Christ died once for all sin past and future. Communion is God meeting us in some way we don't understand but he is there during the communion.

There are no differences on baptism
As a Papist, I would diagree with the above highlighted text.

"The only distinction between the Mass and the sacrament lies in this: that the latter applies to the individual the fruits of the Sacrifice on the Cross by simple distribution, the other by a specific offering. In both, the Church draws upon the one Sacrifice on the Cross. This is and remains the one Sun, that gives life, light and warmth to everything; the sacraments and the Mass are only the planets that revolve round the central body. Take the Sun away and the Mass is annihilated not one whit less than the sacraments. On the other hand, without these two the Sacrifice on the Cross would reign as independently as, conceivably the sun without the planets."

Catholic Encyclopedia

Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 AM

396 posts, read 838,091 times
The Catholic church can also be credited for other things as well. Do you like music? Thank the Catholic church for polyphony. Thank the church for sponsoring musicians. You like Easter? Thank the Catholic Church. Your specific denomination? Thank the Catholic Church. Why on that last one? Well, since everyone seems to have split from the Catholics to begin with, you'd better thank the Catholics. Are Catholics superior? Nah (yes, this is a Catholic saying this). Whatever brand of religion floats your boat is superior...to you that is. Now, one last time I'm going to say this, knock off with the bashing. And I'm speaking to everyone. What kind of Christians are we to sit here and bash each other? I've seen more Mormon and Catholic bashing here than I've seen patients in the past week at work (and trust me, I've been busy...very busy). Not only that, but I've seen quite a few Catholics bashing Protestants. I'm tired of it. If this is what this site is turning into, then I'm done with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.