Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 09:28 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
There are definitely certain doctrines and decrees and the like that I don't agree with. I don't claim to be a theologian. I never have been. Never will be (I prefer to study medicine than theology), but the bigotry and prejudices are getting old...and bad. "My religion is better than yours!" "My brand of Christianity is better than yours!" "Catholics practice witchcraft!" Come on! This is more than ridiculous. Time to close the thread.
Why is it that you want to close this thread? Not to be rude, but, if it bothers you, then check out another thread. I've read this entire thread and I haven't seen any bashing going on...lots of disagreements, some misunderestanding and a little heated I agree, but I've found it pretty interesting. Seems more like a rousing debate to me!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:38 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Look at the definitiion of the word Catholic (I posted it). Catholic=Universal. If you are referring to the ROMAN Catholic Church, then there are those that believe Jesus did, and those that believe that Jesus didn't. I'm simply stating that if you look at the definition of the word, and look at those of us beating our heads against one another in this forum (with the exception of the non-Christians), we share a universal faith...Christianity. What I find even more funny is the "My church is better than your church" and the "my brand of Christianity is better than yours!" I notice that people ignored my question about people going to hell. I noticed that people LOVE to bash one another...especially the RC's. It's amazing to see people's thought processes. I love seeing all of these Bible quotes and people backing them up with their own interpretations. I love how people ignored (in another post) my statement about not "having it both ways" and saying they take the Bible literally and at the same time say, "Oh, it's a figure of speach." And I'm the one that gets called a "water down" Christian? But wait...I'm not a Christian, am I? Why? Because I was born and raised a Catholic, I have an open mind, I don't condemn homosexuals, I work on the Sabbath (as many Paramedic/EMT/Firefighter shirts say, "Bustin' Mine! Savin' Yours!"), I smoke, I drink, I swear, I gamble, I'm a woman and I wear slacks, have extremely short hair, I'm not married, I've never had kids, in fact I'm still a virgin, I don't go around door to door shoving my beliefs down other peoples throats, and I enjoy every minute of my completely un-Christian lifestyle...but at the same time I do all of that, I also have held the hand of the dying, worked my A$$ off to save the life of a child I KNOW to be dead, had compassion for drug dealers and drug addicts (although sometimes, I don't know why), explained to family members that their loved one is byond my help, and been compassionate to the drunk that ruined someone elses' day. But hey, at least I know that I'm finally in a career that I'm meant to be in (and I thought I wanted to be a music teacher? wow...if I only knew I was meant to be a Paramedic 11 years ago!). Oh well...time to go to Fencing Practice!
Wow you actually sound like a normal person!! You might want to start checking out those HOT paramedics, in your down time, instead of being on here!!

Thanks for your service to Americans!!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:53 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Well, that's it for me. I might as well be arguing with a pig.
That really wasn't very nice.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:51 PM

396 posts, read 837,748 times
Ok...now I'm offended at the "Normal" thing. lol!
Anyways, I've talked to many priests who don't believe that the Catholic Church is the only way to salvation...that's more of a pre-vat 2 thing.
I have looked at other threads...some of them have gotten closed down for much less than this, which is why it amazes me.
As someone else said, I could back up my beliefs with scripture, only to have some on here turn it around or tell me that scripture isn't relevant.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:22 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,894 times
Well prove that it is relevant.

You have to read the verse in the whole context of the letter or chapter.

Like I wrote earlier when Jesus spoke to the thief on the cross...that the thief will be in Paradise that same day.

If you only read that verse everyday then you would think you're going to die that day and be in Paradise.

Please read the whole chapter in its entirety.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:53 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I suppose a claim could also be made for Eastern Orthodoxy, but by all accounts, in RCIA we are taught that even though we should respect the views of our protestant brethren, they are of lesser status in terms of how to be faithful to Jesus. The teaching is that protestant Christians are inferior to Catholics. I myself do not like such a title, 'inferior', but I suppose it makes sense when you think about it. The Catholic Church is the Church as Jesus intended it to be, while the protestant religions have 'watered down' in a sense what it means to be Christian, and have even warped many of the views.
You make a very interesting point. What I find disturbing is the fact that there are so many religions teaching their congregations that they are the only true religion or church because of their teachings instead of teaching that Jesus is the only way. I can give you a long laundry list of religions who believe that if you are not part of their religion you will be on a road to hell or destruction. The Mormons, Church of Christ, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Catholics all do teach that in order to be saved one needs to part or a member of their religious organizations.

The word church as we define it today isn't technically a religion or building. The Greek word for church is ekklesia and it means a calling out or called out ones. Strongs concretely defines it as a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation. In other words, individual christians who assemble together to worship God each Sunday or Saturday make up the church.

So in a sense, the true church are followers who are following the teachings of Jesus Christ and are truely born again. This can be anyone from any christian religion. Jesus clearly taught that he is the way, the truth, and the life, no man can come to the Father but by him John 14:6. So I never understood how a religion can leap frog over what Jesus clearly taught to justify why they think that their relgion is the only way to God.

With that said, we need to stop all of this divisiness and be about the business of helping bring others to Christ.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:59 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Obviously not. You are CORRECT, my definition was not broad enough. You got me. You win!!! Don, what does this man win.
He wins a dead thread............

And for the record:
They didn't protest like the boys in Europe. Their separation had less to do with religion and more to do with politics. They just didn't want to take orders from Rome.

So you're a hair splitter, are you? Since I already know you answer your own posts, I would say that you are probably hard to get along with. Well, at least I liked you a little while.

See ya, good luck, and peace be with you.
You are right. I had to think about why my religion-Baptist-doesnt have a headquarters,Pope, Bishop, or President etc. Baptists have taken the stand that Jesus Christ is the head of our local congregations that are run autonomously by our church leader/pastor, deacon board, and voting members of that particular congregation.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:31 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
Default This is interesting.

The last written words of Martin Luther@Everything2.com

Old 11-22-2008, 02:36 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times
The Catholic Church does not pass judgement on the salvation of non Catholics but leaves it up to God.
What the Church does say is that can't say positively one way or another.
I would think that non Catholics would want it this way, unless there are non Catholics out there that do want the Catholic Church deciding if salvation for them is possible.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:12 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,894 times
The Catholic Church does not pass judgement? lol

Are you speaking about their actions today or from past history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
The Catholic Church does not pass judgement on the salvation of non Catholics but leaves it up to God.
What the Church does say is that can't say positively one way or another.
I would think that non Catholics would want it this way, unless there are non Catholics out there that do want the Catholic Church deciding if salvation for them is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.