Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 07:34 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry I'm not a feel good Christian who accepts all the wordly pagan beliefs

Either you prove or disprove by the bible or it means nothing!

1. This is a Christian forum
2. Christians use the bible not what the pastor said or what a church does as SOUND DOCTRINE

Let's stick to the bible.

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
And this, Ladies and Gentlmen is an example of what I'm talking about.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:42 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
And this, Ladies and Gentlmen is an example of what I'm talking about.
Many folks on this forum are very unimformed about comparative religion, and relish thier predjudices.

There are however many non-papists, ( and atheists for that matter )who like us, admit no one has a monopoly on the truth, and can enter into respectful debate.

The doctrines of the Catholic Church have been debated and developed over the millenia, and sound bites just create disenssion.
Many Catholics don't understand them, or even agree with them.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,372 times
Quote:
Yes, Music. I was a Music Education Major my first time in college. Polyphony was almost nixed. Yes, music was around for a long time before even Moses, but the Polyphonic music we have today actually stemmed from the monophonic music...all of this basically started in the Catholic Church. Where did it start? More than likely a Monk who couldn't find the pitch he was given.
As for the "Diluted pagan" stuff...well, in order to get more people to convert, they did some incorporation.
As for bunnies and eggs? Ok, first, look up the history of the Easter Egg. As for the bunnies...that's beyond me other than saying it's a comercialization thing.
If your faith follows the first century Christians, than I sure hope you follow Jewish law since the first Christians were Jews.
Every Christian on this forum seems to think that their church is a superior church - including you from what you've posted, so the point is moot. You want hipocrites? Look around (myself included)(and you'd better look in a mirror as well). Look at every single Christian denomination and church in the world. It's getting old...real old...and this forum is doing nothing but convince me that the world is definitely going to hell in a handbasket and fast. Heaven help our kids, 'cause if this is the kind of stuff we're teaching them, then we're all damned.
I have not researched the origins of polyphony, but as they say: Necessity is the mother of invention. I'm sure many inventors were Catholic. I thank them for their contribution.

Quote:
As for the "Diluted pagan" stuff...well, in order to get more people to convert, they did some incorporation.

WOW! Do you think that was okay in the eyes of God? He warned the Isrealites to keep seperate. We seem to keep fooling ourselves and say, "Oh God will understand." Tell that to the Isrealites after they made the golden calf to worship...they even tried to fool themselves saying that it was a festival for God. For us it seems like these icons and traditions of holidays are out of date. But God still knows what the meaning is and how it came to be part of the "Christian" faith. He's seen it all unfold.

I looked up 'history of the Easter egg', did you? Clearly pagan in origin. The Easter bunny as well...a pagan symbol of fertility.

Yes, some of the 1st century Christians were Jews who converted to Jesus' teachings...that's why they became Christian. The 'New Testament" describes how this conversion took place. They no longer followed the mosaic laws after Jesus died.

Jesus said that the most important commandment was to love God with your whole, heart, mind and being. Can you love God and partake of celebrations that honor pagan gods? Doesn't partaking of such celebrations and holidays break that first commandment?

We tell ourselves, God wants us to be happy and we forget that we are supposed to be making him happy too.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:46 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Lutherans are also a sacramental church, butg only count Baptism and Communion as sacraments

There is a fine line though as Lutherns believe that communion is not a re-enactmnet of the death of Christ and is not necessary to take communion to have sins forgiven**, but that God commands we do this, and that he is truly present in the elements [but cosabstantiation vs transubstantiation, wheras many other protestands feel communion is just a commemorative event]

I think this is it...........

**Catholic - Chirst dies each mass for new sins, the death on the cross was for original sin The mass forgives
***Luhteran - Christ died once for all sin past and future. Communion is God meeting us in some way we don't understand but he is there during the communion.

There are no differences on baptism
This is typical of Protestants to use a straw man's argument against Catholicism.

I know someone rebutted your comment (in bold) earlier, but here is a link that provides a sound education in the Catholic Mass:

A short Catechism of the Mass

Pay particularly attention to:

"Q. Does Christ die again in the Mass?
A. No. He died once on the Cross. He dies no more, but His act of loving self-surrender, His Act of Sacrifice for us, goes on at every Mass in a real living way. He is there really and truly, making Calvary present before us, and before every generation until the end of the world."

Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 AM

396 posts, read 838,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Many folks on this forum are very unimformed about comparative religion, and relish thier predjudices.

There are however many non-papists, ( and atheists for that matter )who like us, admit no one has a monopoly on the truth, and can enter into respectful debate.

The doctrines of the Catholic Church have been debated and developed over the millenia, and sound bites just create disenssion.
Many Catholics don't understand them, or even agree with them.
There are definitely certain doctrines and decrees and the like that I don't agree with. I don't claim to be a theologian. I never have been. Never will be (I prefer to study medicine than theology), but the bigotry and prejudices are getting old...and bad. "My religion is better than yours!" "My brand of Christianity is better than yours!" "Catholics practice witchcraft!" Come on! This is more than ridiculous. Time to close the thread.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:11 AM

My religion is Jesus Christ and what's in the bible.

praying to the saints or mary IS AGAINST the bible.

It's necromancy no matter how you look at it.

The ONLY REASON we're not committing necromancy when praying to Jesus is that JESUS IS NOT DEAD!

All those saints are dead, and are lying in their graves.
praying to them will do nothing but hurt yourself.

This reminds me of the story with King Saul and Samuel

King Saul needed help so he found himself a witch aka medium to consult with Samuel who was already dead.

Funny thing in how King Saul didn't go to other prophets or the High Priest to consult Samuel.

He knew it was against God's law

Inquiring or consulting with the dead is witchcraft.

If those saints were not dead then we would have a different discussion.
Those saints are still in the grave...

There's only 1 person who resurrected from the grave and that is JESUS CHRIST!

Quote:
There are definitely certain doctrines and decrees and the like that I don't agree with. I don't claim to be a theologian. I never have been. Never will be (I prefer to study medicine than theology), but the bigotry and prejudices are getting old...and bad. "My religion is better than yours!" "My brand of Christianity is better than yours!" "Catholics practice witchcraft!" Come on! This is more than ridiculous. Time to close the thread.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:14 AM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
My religion is Jesus Christ and what's in the bible.

praying to the saints or mary IS AGAINST the bible.

It's necromancy no matter how you look at it.

The ONLY REASON we're not committing necromancy when praying to Jesus is that JESUS IS NOT DEAD!

All those saints are dead, and are lying in their graves.
praying to them will do nothing but hurt yourself.

This reminds me of the story with King Saul and Samuel

King Saul needed help so he found himself a witch aka medium to consult with Samuel who was already dead.

Funny thing in how King Saul didn't go to other prophets or the High Priest to consult Samuel.

He knew it was against God's law

Inquiring or consulting with the dead is witchcraft.

If those saints were not dead then we would have a different discussion.
Those saints are still in the grave...

There's only 1 person who resurrected from the grave and that is JESUS CHRIST!
What is heaven to you and who is there? Are you a JW?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 AM

I am not.

Let's stick to facts

Is the saints not dead? Are they still not in their graves?

Yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
What is heaven to you and who is there? Are you a JW?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:22 AM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
I am not.

Let's stick to facts

Is the saints not dead? Are they still not in their graves?

Yes or no?
I am going to ask you again. What is heaven to you and who is there? I can't give you a cogent argument if I don't know where you are coming from.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Here's a good article on Luther's life. Yes, it's a Catholic website, but it is so detailed, it would be hard to make up. It's also backed up by references.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Martin Luther

Here's the section does not necessary say he regrets separating from the church but definitely "laments" the results of the separation.

"It was this period that gave birth to the incredibilities, exaggerations, distortions, contradictions, inconsistencies, that make his later writing an inextricable web to untangle and for three hundred years have supplied uncritical historiography with the ****-and-bull fables which unfortunately have been accepted on their face value. Again the dire results of the Reformation caused him "unspeakable solicitude and grief". The sober contemplation of the incurable inner wounds of the new Church, the ceaseless quarrels of the preachers, the galling despotism of the temporal rulers, the growing contempt for the clergy, the servility to the princes, made him fairly writhe in anguish. Above all the disintegration of moral and social life, the epidemic ravages of vice and immorality, and that in the very cradle of the Reformation, even in his very household, nearly drove him frantic. "We live in Sodom and Babylon, affairs are growing daily worse", is his lament (De Wette, op. cit., V, 722). In the whole Wittenberg district, with its two cities and fifteen parochial villages, he can find "only one peasant and not more, who exhorts his domestics to the Word of God and the catechism, the rest plunge headlong to the devil" (Lauterbach, "Tagebuch", 113, 114, 135; *Döllinger, "Die Reformation", I, 293-438). "
Maybe I'm just really stupid, but I don't see anything in the article that proves Luther regretted his actions toward the Catholic church. Because I've seen and heard so much hatred toward Martin Luther from many Catholics, no offense, but I wouldn't take the word of a Catholic website as truth in regard to him, especially when there is so much out there that says the exact opposite. I've done some of my own research on this, and it seems really this is nothing more than a rumor.

Thanks for taking the time to provide the link, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.