Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:56 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The chaff must be separated from the wheat in all of us. We must all face the fire of God, in order to be conformed into His image. The issue is, how much refining will be necessary?
So hell fire will be of different lengths for different people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I do believe this.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:09 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
The question I've had, Shana, is: Why will some experience wrath? For what reason?
Rom 1:18 ¶ For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them.

cg81

Christians take this verse to mean that God will only have wrath against unbelievers but it says that the wrath of God is against all ungodliness. God says all through the bible keep my commandments, christians say it doesn't matter if we have pagan practices - Easter, christmas, etc God will understand and forgive us because we didn't realise or when we are told we want to worship God our way, we are not perfect, but those who don't believe in Jesus (as saviour and their God) will be eternally tormented because they chose not to believe and that is ok mercy doesn't need to be shown to them really just to us because we believe. We will be saved, join us, believe like us.

Jesus says that the servant who knew his masters will and disobeyed will be beaten with many stripes but the servant who didn't know but did things works deserving of stripes will get a few.

Why is God calling out a Royal priesthood, if they never get to excercise their kingly, priestly functions? When Jesus was on earth he was serving us, when he was resurrected he became King of kings, while we are on this physical earth we are messengers and being called and chosen and need to be faithful. Those are the kings and priests.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:07 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Rom 1:18 ¶ For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them.

cg81

Christians take this verse to mean that God will only have wrath against unbelievers but it says that the wrath of God is against all ungodliness. God says all through the bible keep my commandments, christians say it doesn't matter if we have pagan practices - Easter, christmas, etc God will understand and forgive us because we didn't realise or when we are told we want to worship God our way, we are not perfect, but those who don't believe in Jesus (as saviour and their God) will be eternally tormented because they chose not to believe and that is ok mercy doesn't need to be shown to them really just to us because we believe. We will be saved, join us, believe like us.

Jesus says that the servant who knew his masters will and disobeyed will be beaten with many stripes but the servant who didn't know but did things works deserving of stripes will get a few.

Why is God calling out a Royal priesthood, if they never get to excercise their kingly, priestly functions? When Jesus was on earth he was serving us, when he was resurrected he became King of kings, while we are on this physical earth we are messengers and being called and chosen and need to be faithful. Those are the kings and priests.
What the heck are you trying to say? Your post makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:52 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
What the heck are you trying to say? Your post makes no sense whatsoever.

What I am trying to say is that deception to people who are deceived it does not look like deception.

If you want to find truth you need to be open to it.

Probably to an unbeliever when they look at the state of christianity they say. It makes no sense at all. because a lot of the time the message is not that Jesus died and rose again to reconcile the world to God - but to join christianity so that they can be saved from eternal torment.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:56 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
What I am trying to say is that deception to people who are deceived it does not look like deception.

If you want to find truth you need to be open to it.

Probably to an unbeliever when they look at the state of christianity they say. It makes no sense at all. because a lot of the time the message is not that Jesus died and rose again to reconcile the world to God - but to join christianity so that they can be saved from eternal torment.
You are absolultely right!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Good post and I won't even attempt to answer for the URs.

I know this much:

There are aspects of my faith that I don't understand the 'whys' and the 'how-comes' and there are aspects that I wish weren't true.

But God is just and, above all, HE is God.

I am not God.

I can not shape Him around me, I have to let Him shape me around Him.

How do I discern the Truth? It helps to have an understanding of the scripture from cover to cover, looking at the 'whole picture' and it helps to surround yourself with folks who hunger and thirst for righteousness. Bottom line is that we trust the Holy Spirit to lead us into Truth and make sure what we are exposing ourselves to lines up with the Word of God.

Be teachable but not '
hoodwinkable'.
you just answered for the ur`s..thx

Old 10-16-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
depends on what you mean by hellfire

Old 10-16-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Paul spoke many times about being faithful and enduring. These encouragements are nonsensical if we do not believe in free will.
When the Lord told Peter he would deny him 3 times and Peter said no way..and Jesus told satan to get behind him..what did that mean to you? Peter was going to act out the preordained plan and there was nothing he could do about it. The plan was and has been set into place by God. He isn`t up there somewhere waiting to see how we are going to react or what moves or actions we are going to take. He knows the beginning from the end because he planned it. Man`s ego won`t let him believe that God is in control. We want to believe that somehow we are in control. That we are making so called free will decisions apart from God. In my opinion that is the basis for all sin. Man wants to be like God. We want to be in control. God said in their wisdom they became fools. This is part of the big deception and the church is the biggest proponent of it. God is in control and God is the only one with absolute total free will. Nothing causes God to act. He acts only if he chooses.. independent of anything or anybody. I know most church goers on here disagree. So my thoughts on this aren`t meant to change someone`s mind..only God can do that. Just giving my opinion.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Hi spm62! Welcome back! We missed you God bless and thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity