Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:30 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,563,274 times

Advertisements

There are those who have said that someone who has murdered is going to Hell, regardless. How would you resolve / explain this or do you think that his actions condemned him and he was not forgiven?

St Paul was involved in the stoning of St Stephen and in the persecution of early Christians - all this before his conversion.

19" 'Lord,' I replied, 'these men know that I went from one synagogue to another to imprison and beat those who believe in you. 20And when the blood of your martyr[a] Stephen was shed, I stood there giving my approval and guarding the clothes of those who were killing him.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 11:39 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,193,950 times
Dante's inferno, or the place of refinement?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:43 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,270,253 times
His sins were washed away by the blood of Christ, so he was sanctified.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,276,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
There are those who have said that someone who has murdered is going to Hell, regardless. How would you resolve / explain this or do you think that his actions condemned him and he was not forgiven?

St Paul was involved in the stoning of St Stephen and in the persecution of early Christians - all this before his conversion.

19" 'Lord,' I replied, 'these men know that I went from one synagogue to another to imprison and beat those who believe in you. 20And when the blood of your martyr[a] Stephen was shed, I stood there giving my approval and guarding the clothes of those who were killing him.'
It is evident that Paul repented of his sinful life, and his attitude showed it ("chief of sinners").

If we repent of our sins and undergo the refining fire in our lives on this earth, we will go to heaven. There is no refining fire or second chance after death, but God is big enough to give this to all who will in this life.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,578,447 times
There is only unforgivable sin and that is dying in your sin without repenting and putting your trust in Jesus Christ

Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,556,727 times
What religion believes that a murderer cannot be forgiven? That is not what my Bible says. I certainly do not think Jesus would have chosen Paul as an Apostle if he was not forgiven!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:58 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,654,967 times
Sin is sin, big or small. We are the ones who are concerned with how big or how small a sin is. Howard Hendricks calls them the nasty nine or the dirty dozen that we come up with that are the really big ones. But God just sees the sin, we have not hit the mark.
The word sin comes from archery and the distance between the bullseye and where the arrow hits is called the sin. But we all miss the mark. None of us can ever be perfect.
Christ's blood, the perfect spotless lamb, paid for all the sins of the world. Not that we ever take sin lightly but we repent, ask God's forgiveness (he knows our heart) and he says he puts the sin as far as the east is from the west, in the deepest part of the seas, they are white as snow.
I love the sayings, "everything God requires, he provides"

Old 10-29-2008, 12:00 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,891,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post

Murder is not the unforgiveable sin. He he has murdered, and repented, and become born again, can indeed be forgiven...

If murder is not "forgiveable", then in addition to St Paul, we will also not see Moses in heaven, or King David...

Bud

Old 10-29-2008, 12:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,563,274 times
Ok, phew, I DO agree with the rest - someone quoted revelation on another post that a murderer would go to hell. regardless.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,193,950 times
The sin in us will "go to hell" - but we will be spared by His mercy. Justice and mercy together.

Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. (1 Cor 3:13-15)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity