Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times

Advertisements

thank you for proving my point

I'm well aware of what

חמדה means and the pronunciation of your transliteration post 'chemdah'.

It means 'to desire'.

I wonder why Daniel would make it a point to say that antichrist will NOT desire women. hmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi renriq02,

That is the desire of women not what the "king" in that passage desires.

Compare :
and I will shake all nations; and the precious things of all nations shall come; and I will fill this house with glory, saith Jehovah of hosts.
Haggai 2:7 And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts.

chemdah is the same word used in the same way here.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:13 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post

I'm well aware of what

It means 'to desire'.

I wonder why Daniel would make it a point to say that antichrist will NOT desire women. hmmmmmmmmmm
He didn't. He said he will not regard what women desire. Your interpretation is inconsistent with the same use which is what the nations desire.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Palin as anti-christ. No. but the child of her daughter may be! Better check Palin's head for the 666 tatoo just in case. Can't be too sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisiesnfreckles View Post
To add to what renriq said, he also heavily supports partial-birth abortion (among other things), which Christians find abhorrent (frankly, I don't know how anyone can support such an awful thing). And I'm not claiming that other Christian denominations aren't Christian...just the ones that aren't. I can't accept a "denomination" that supports things that the Bible specifically doesn't. For myself, I don't claim a denomination. I don't belong to a specific church, I don't keep my hair long, or wear dresses (ever!), or keep silent in public. I have short, spiky hair that is frequently dyed various colors that strike my fancy; I have a nose piercing and a labret (used to have a tongue piercing, but took it out since it wasn't closing properly...I know! I'm such a heathen!); I have several tattoos, and plan on more; all these things are extentions of my personality. But one thing I refuse to do is contradict God just because it suits the world and their "delicate feelings". If that makes me a ridiculous far-right fundamentalist, well then, I guess I'm a ridiculous far-right fundamentalist. Thank the Lord!
Uh, no, you're not. You might feel you are, but trust me, THEY won't be nearly as charitable towards you.

Daisiesnfreckles, although I appreciate your individuality, and respect your beliefs, I have to say you are better off NOT going to a far-right fundamentalist church with your spikey hair, tatoos, and barbell tongue piercing.. you would not make many friends there with the adults, now,.. the teenagers would probably LOVE YOU!

It won't fly in a Free Will Baptist church in the bible belt. At least not the ones I meet around here.

Palin is not even close to being the anti-christ,

Old 11-10-2008, 04:20 PM

I desire apples

I desire women

Two different sentences but anyone can read what I'm writing.

Hag 2:7 shows no different interpration as it using the word desire as the word 'precious'

the word has two meanings....precious or desirable.

Either way the desire of women is what?

I have read at least 5-6 translations that prove what I'm saying, and reading the Hebrew text.

What translation are you reading?

Quote:
He didn't. He said he will not regard what women desire. Your interpretation is inconsistent with the same use which is what the nations desire.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:07 PM

116 posts, read 331,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Uh, no, you're not. You might feel you are, but trust me, THEY won't be nearly as charitable towards you.

Daisiesnfreckles, although I appreciate your individuality, and respect your beliefs, I have to say you are better off NOT going to a far-right fundamentalist church with your spikey hair, tatoos, and barbell tongue piercing.. you would not make many friends there with the adults, now,.. the teenagers would probably LOVE YOU!

It won't fly in a Free Will Baptist church in the bible belt. At least not the ones I meet around here.
LOL I won't disagree with you, redbird. I'm very glad to be openly welcomed into a non-apologetic Bible-preachin' church that doesn't equate my appearance with my level of salvation. It has been an interesting experience living here in Fayetteville, NC, surrounded by those who obviously don't approve of my appearance, and would probably NEVER guess just how far-right I am. LOL It's kinda fun, actually!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:59 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,887 times
Quote:

I'm well aware of what

It means 'to desire'.

renriq02: You are putting words into Daniel's mouth. Where does he use the word "antichrist?" This is an unsupported assumption on the part of dispensationalists. WHERE does Daniel use the term "antichrist" in Daniel 11 or in any part of Daniel for that matter?

Preterist

Old 11-10-2008, 06:22 PM

I would recommend that you read the whole passage, and take classes to learn about the Old Testament.

Daniel
31 And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.

Revelation
6And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

The temple needs to be rebuilt....the antichrist will come and pollute it.

BTW I'm sure you would NOT understand as the word antichrist is used only a few times in the NT..and I dont believe it's in the book of Revelation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
renriq02: You are putting words into Daniel's mouth. Where does he use the word "antichrist?" This is an unsupported assumption on the part of dispensationalists. WHERE does Daniel use the term "antichrist" in Daniel 11 or in any part of Daniel for that matter?

Preterist

Old 11-10-2008, 08:59 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Sure it doesnt

37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.
Interesting. It is you belief that it is the lack of desire desire vs the act that makes one gay?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:10 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
I desire apples

I desire women

Two different sentences but anyone can read what I'm writing.

Hag 2:7 shows no different interpration as it using the word desire as the word 'precious'

the word has two meanings....precious or desirable.

Either way the desire of women is what?

I have read at least 5-6 translations that prove what I'm saying, and reading the Hebrew text.

What translation are you reading?
I am using an interlinear directly to the Hebrew. It is what women desire or what the nations desire or what is precious to women or what is precious to the nations. They both read the same way. So it is not that anyone is a homosexual. I posted a link to the lexicon and several parallel translations.
Even if it were the correct reading not having a desire for women has nothing to do with homosexuality. Such a person may simply not be interest in anything of that nature. Its a false dichotomy.
My guess is that it was about children since a childless women in that culture was considered cursed or barren.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:17 PM

You're right...that would make him 'asexual' right?

It's quite obvious what the verse means.

There will no other point in writing that he had no desire for women unless he was speaking about homosexuality. There are two ways he could've meant it.
nor 'precious' of women
or
nor 'desire' of women

1. It would make more sense to say he is using the word 'desire' not precious
2. It would make logical sense to say he is speaking about homosexuality otherwise what would be the point of bringing it up?

BTW interlinear is not the same as reading the actual Hebrew.

Quote:
I am using an interlinear directly to the Hebrew. It is what women desire or what the nations desire or what is precious to women or what is precious to the nations. They both read the same way. So it is not that anyone is a homosexual. I posted a link to the lexicon and several parallel translations.
Even if it were the correct reading not having a desire for women has nothing to do with homosexuality. Such a person may simply not be interest in anything of that nature. Its a false dichotomy.
My guess is that it was about children since a childless women in that culture was considered cursed or barren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.