Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:09 PM

116 posts, read 331,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
But what is your basis for this? You say yourself you don't wear your hair long or refrain from wearing dresses. You therefore implicitly disagree with those sects who claim this the "true" religion.
I disagree, not because I don't think they're Christians for believing that, but because I don't think their belief that you have to look a certain way has anything to do with salvation.
Quote:
How, then, are you so sure that what you think is true? Why is abortion the issue that delineates "true" christians from non-true ones? It seems there's not even really good biblical support for being "pro-life" while some of the weirder beliefs have more explicit support.
I am sure because the Bible is my guide, and that's what it says. I know some people don't agree...but I can't call myself a Christian, and then blatantly disregard the Bible. That'd make me a hypocrite.
Abortion is just one of many issues that, unfortunately, separate Christians. I personally see abortion as murder, which is specifically commanded against in the Bible, and therefore I see as wrong. I don't think it's abortion that delineates the "true" from the "not-true", but a compilation of several beliefs. Abortion just happens to be a hot topic, especially during election time.
Quote:
My point isn't to say there is a true christianity or not. As I said earlier, I don't believe in it. I'm a skeptic. My point is that religion as such does *no independent logical work* here - people are making independent value judgments; cherry-picking what they want to believe, and even taking some things (like anti-abortion stance) that aren't even in the text and incorporating it in the religion. The moment you start making independent value judgments it seems the whole claim of religion is obviated - that what is "right" is necessarily tied to the will of the Deity - what is "right" is actually what YOU say it is.
I agree that too many people cherry-pick. I also think that a lot of "Christians" morph things to fit the mold of popular ideas of the day. My beliefs are incredibly unpopular today because they make me "intolerant" of certain people. But again, what kind of Christian would I be if I believe the Bible speaks out against certain things, but I decide to "be okay" with them just because of popular ideas of the day? A hypocrite.
Quote:
So we should cut through the confusion and talk about the beliefs as such and forget "religion."
I agree with you to an extent. But to clarify, I feel that there are certain fundamental (man, there comes that word again!) beliefs that define Christianity. And after all, as much as I don't like to call it such, Christianity is a "religion".

Old 11-10-2008, 03:12 PM

116 posts, read 331,960 times
I just want to add, txguy, I appreciate the challenge. I know you don't agree with me, but you never attacked me for not agreeing with you, and that's refreshing.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:38 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,493,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
To GO BACK ON the topic....Could Palin be the antichrist....

I don't believe so as the bible teaches in who the antichrist will be, and she doesnt fit the description.

One person said that she's too ignorant, but I'm not sure how they would know. I would think the antichrist will be 'cunning' in making people think this....
renriq02: Where in the Bible is the antichrist taught?

Thanks.

Preterist

Old 11-10-2008, 03:42 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
Daniel and other places.

What specifics are you looking for?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Alright then, first Obama, now it's Palin, what is all the obsession with Anti-Christ??
I guess the obsession is because of the old Gregory Peck/Lee Remick movie called "The Omen."

Romney is indeed scary, but not in THAT way, and Palin is too stupid.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:51 PM

The bible also teaches that the antichrist will be gay.

I doubt Palin is gay at all

Old 11-10-2008, 03:52 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Alright then, first Obama, now it's Palin, what is all the obsession with Anti-Christ??
Hi ShepsMom,

So "we" can all be raptured while everyone else goes into the meat grinder or so guilt complex posttrib types can bring the wrath we all so richly deserve.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
The bible also teaches that the antichrist will be gay.

I doubt Palin is gay at all
Hi renriq02,

The Bible does not teach that at all.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:55 PM

Sure it doesnt

37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi renriq02,

The Bible does not teach that at all.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Sure it doesnt

37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.

Hi renriq02,

That is the desire of women not what the "king" in that passage desires.

Compare :

and I will shake all nations; and the precious things of all nations shall come; and I will fill this house with glory, saith Jehovah of hosts.
Haggai 2:7 And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts.

chemdah is the same word used in the same way here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.