Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times

Advertisements

3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Interesting. That's not what's written in my Bible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 04:22 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
what translation are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Interesting. That's not what's written in my Bible!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:24 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,752,801 times
Red face Let us reason together

My friend I guess we'll want to be right and we're trying to show God's approval and we do not do a very good job. There are people that are humble and worth, I am pretty sure that God is looking down and he sees how much people love him and how they fight for him. I'm pretty sure to that he does not hold this against us for he is a merciful father and that we are saved by grace. God likes all his children he does not want us to argue but to remember the cross and to preach the cross, I am pretty sure this will be pleased him. What is the purpose of the Lord's supper?

Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,589,971 times
debating is healthy especially when two people are not mad.

I'm not mad...and I doubt you are.

Study to show yourself approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
My friend I guess we'll want to be right and we're trying to show God's approval and we do not do a very good job. There are people that are humble and worth, I am pretty sure that God is looking down and he sees how much people love him and how they fight for him. I'm pretty sure to that he does not hold this against us for he is a merciful father and that we are saved by grace. God likes all his children he does not want us to argue but to remember the cross and to preach the cross, I am pretty sure this will be pleased him. What is the purpose of the Lord's supper?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:14 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Well, I beleive this is all the posting of a Jehovah's Witness. I don't beleieve in their interpretation of Christianity, and when Jehovah Witness people try to convert me at my house, I try to convert them back into Roman Catholics and they never come back!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:44 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,752,801 times
Always a valley before a hill.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:29 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times
The particular Bible I picked up was the Douay-Confraternity.

Here is what is written in the Good News Bible.
3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as Almighty God, but I did not make myself known to them by my holy name, the Lord.

The Jerusalem Bible.
3. God spoke to Moses and said to him, "I am Yahweh." To Abraham and Isaac and Jacob, I appeared as El Shaddai: I did not make myself known to them by my name Yahweh.

The Confraternity Version I used in high school......
3 I am the Lord. As God the Almighty I appeared to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, but my name Lord, I did not make known to the.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:58 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
I use Roman Catholic Bibles that have the Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur statement in the front pages. I think this means the the Bible is free of error for Roman Catholic doctrine. Any other Bible to me is polluted knowledge were passages can have different meanings because of translation diferences & etc.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM

646 posts, read 634,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
I use the name of Jesus or Heavenly Father.

the letters were yhvh, jhvh, yhwh, etc

many variations but they none of them have vowels.

How do we know it's jehovah?
Consider this:
While it is true that the Hebrew contained no vowels, still, the general public, including you, continue to use Hebrew names like Jeremiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Zephaniah, Jesus, etc, etc, without knowing which vowel sounds were used initially. Can you explain that?
Quote:
Can it be
jehoveh
jehovih
jehovoh
jehovuh

and that's just changing the last letter of the word.
Consider this:
This name is never applied to anyone else!
Regardless of the vowels used and where they are put, the public can still detect that one is talking about Jehovah.
That cannot be done with any other universally known name under heaven! Isn't that strange?
Quote:
We know there's a lot of possiblities to what the name of God is.
WE? You can only speak for yourself.
The name of Jehovah is generally disliked - except by Jehovah's Witnesses.
“For God is not unrighteous so as to forget YOUR work and the love YOU showed for his name, . . .” (Hebrews 6:10)

Do you love Jehovah's name?

Jesus prayed:
“I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have observed your word. . .” (John 17:6)
What name was he talking about?
The same one that Moses was given to take to the Israelite nation as his authority:
“This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘Jehovah the God of YOUR forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to YOU.’ This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation. 16 You go, and you must gather the older men of Israel, and you must say to them, ‘Jehovah the God of YOUR forefathers has appeared to me, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, saying: “I will without fail give attention to YOU and to what is being done to YOU in Egypt. 17 And so I say, I shall bring YOU up out of affliction by the Egyptians to the land of the Ca′naan‧ites and the Hit′tites and the Am′or‧ites and the Per′iz‧zites and the Hi′vites and the Jeb′u‧sites, to a land flowing with milk and honey.”’” (Exodus 3:15-17)

How important is that name?
“For everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”
(The titles "Lord," "Savior," "God," etc, will never do.)
"However, how will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach?” (Romans 10:13-14)

Jehovah will allow no one to mess around with his name.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 06-14-2011, 09:10 PM

889 posts, read 825,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
In God's word it doesnt say anything close to jehovah.

I hope that's your point or are you saying that you're God?
Johovah is an invention in Germany when they took the "YHWH" with the ADONAI vowels stuck in making YAHOWAH. Since you use the letter J to produce the Y sound in German and W is pronounce like a V in German, you get Johovah. It is completely made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity