Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 04:55 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,151,821 times

Advertisements

I am not saying they shouldn't post but am curious as to why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
But which is worse...

To be a non-Christian who lacks the faith to understand the teachings in the Bible but is still interested enough in it to at least read it,

OR, a proclaimed Christian who reads it but so misunderstands and misinterprets what they read that they think they have the right to speak for
God, and in the process hurt their seeking brothers and sisters, perhaps turning them off from ever understanding how truly loving and forgiving God is??

Both these types of people have posted on this thread and frankly the non-Christian has my respect while the "Christian" doesn't (and I too am a Christian).

Old 11-13-2009, 05:09 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,308,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
The thread on wives submitting to their husbands got me thinking about 1 Peter 3:1 (Likewise ye wives, be in subjection to our own husbands)

What makes me wonder is how we are all suppsosed to be equal but the word subjection implies that the husband is superior. Subject: to bring under control or dominion:Subjugate. To make amenable to the discipline of and control of a superior.

Now look at Subjugate: to bring under the yoke, to force to submit control and governance. To bring into servitude:Enslave.....
I would ask someone who has a problem with this issue, why did you get married? That is what I would ask someone. Because if a person has a problem with submitting, then don't get married.

Submitting to a good man does not have to be bad. But the problem is with women who are marrying bad men and placing themselves under the submission of no good men.

If a women is married to a good man, then he want abuse the role of submission. Submission is not a bad thing to me, because I don't mind submitting to a good man.

But I see so many women who are married to horrible men who are garbage threat them like crap. And on top that that since the women took it apon herself to marry a dead beat she placed herself under a no good man, that she is suppose to be submitted too. So, that is where the problem comes in.

I see good men who treat their wifes like queens and the wife does not have a problem with submitting to her husband because he does not abuse submission.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:11 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,106,520 times
Quote:
Well I originally posted this back in December when I was still struggling with Christianity. (I was a Pentecostal for 14 miserable years.) Someone recently revived it and thanks to alan it just won't die!
I hate to see things die....

Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,324,222 times
Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit.1 Peter 3 verse 4

If a man reading this passage of scripture wants a wife like this He as to become this to His wife.

When Jesus said if you have seen me you have seen the Father this is what He meant.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:28 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,404,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I would ask someone who has a problem with this issue, why did you get married? That is what I would ask someone. Because if a person has a problem with submitting, then don't get married.

Submitting to a good man does not have to be bad. But the problem is with women who are marrying bad men and placing themselves under the submission of no good men.

If a women is married to a good man, then he want abuse the role of submission. Submission is not a bad thing to me, because I don't mind submitting to a good man.

But I see so many women who are married to horrible men who are garbage threat them like crap. And on top that that since the women took it apon herself to marry a dead beat she placed herself under a no good man, that she is suppose to be submitted too. So, that is where the problem comes in.

I see good men who treat their wifes like queens and the wife does not have a problem with submitting to her husband because he does not abuse submission.
Quote:
This is so disturbing.......Okay you train a DOG to be submissive to it's master. Are women nothing more than dogs in a "Christian" marriage?! Are women NOT still individuals when they get married?! A woman should not be ordered around like a dog....period. How disgusting!

In my mind (and many others) submission is what you teach a dog. I didn't get married to be like a good doggy. I got married for companionship and to have a family.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,549,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Why are you on a forum that deals with Christianity when you don't believe in the Bible or obeying it? Sounds kind of odd to me? Just curious. Your response actually belongs on another forum..perhaps one that isn't dealing with Christianity and the bible
This is a thread about the mistreatment of a person that should be an absolute equal in a marriage, not a passive submissive minor partner. I treat others in a more, what might be labeled "christian" manner than many here of the so called christians here that believe they are a superior being for the simple reason they were born with a penis. Without commenting of the validity or lack of in regards to the bible, it was written by MEN, rewritten by MEN, translated by MEN throughout history.

And to treat another person, any person as a lesser seems so counter to what christians try to sell themselves as, a hang over from the mid evil ages. It is not to the extreme's we hear about how the Taliban treat women, but in spirit is it that different?

Old 11-13-2009, 06:41 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,581,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
It's sad that society will try everything else first before aknowledging that God's law is right, and beneficial to those who do it. As I said, it takes a godly man to head a household - one that comes home from a day's work to simply crash on the couch will earn no respect from his family, in spite of his claim of earning the bread and coming home to his castle.

No, humbly submitting ourselves to God creates a confidence that's strangely attractive to our wives, and brings with it wisdom to lead and the heart to cherish the family that God has given him.

A woman knows when she's cherished.
You are right little elmer,women want to be cherished. They appreciate a Godly husband.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:00 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,284,973 times
YIKES!

Okay folks, June's thinking this at the moment:

Whether anyone is going to submit to anything or not, submitting to a real deep breath might be a good place to start right about now!

--Otherwise June's gunna have to make everyone submit to her closing this thread. (And June hates closing threads.)

*breathe*

Old 11-13-2009, 07:13 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,182,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
This is a thread about the mistreatment of a person that should be an absolute equal in a marriage, not a passive submissive minor partner. I treat others in a more, what might be labeled "christian" manner than many here of the so called christians here that believe they are a superior being for the simple reason they were born with a penis. Without commenting of the validity or lack of in regards to the bible, it was written by MEN, rewritten by MEN, translated by MEN throughout history.

And to treat another person, any person as a lesser seems so counter to what christians try to sell themselves as, a hang over from the mid evil ages. It is not to the extreme's we hear about how the Taliban treat women, but in spirit is it that different?
He/she's ^^ got a point. It all comes down to your 'spirit' in the way you receive the Bible's message. Plenty of Christians are hearing it WRONG.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:19 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,151,821 times
I can understand why you were miderable as a Pentecostal. No offense to anyone in that category. Unfortunately, man does not do a very good job (most of the time) representing the Truth about God. It is sad but the majority of Christian church's need a revival and a total make-over. That is why it is imperitive to get to know who Jesus is and have a personal relationship with Him and Him alone. I would suggest reading a book by Chuck Smith called "Why grace changes everything". It is really a good book, an easy read and simple to understand. I used to attend Chuck Smith's church in SoCal (Calvary Chapel) and the man is the most loving man I have ever met. Check it out if you are able. Just remember... Jesus said "He trusted himself to no man cause He knew what was in man". John 2:23-25

Quote:
Well I originally posted this back in December when I was still struggling with Christianity. (I was a Pentecostal for 14 miserable years.) Someone recently revived it and thanks to alan it just won't die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity