Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Yes!! I am more about "Good mornings" and a nice hug myself.
I carry my "Good morning" a little deeper. I add "Top of the morning to ya". Makes me feel exotic and foriegn.

If I really like the person I'll add an accent..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Maybe I am over the niceties and pleasantries. I'm looking for more. I'm expecting more from the church because I can get at least that much from the world. I also have more to offer and when you offer more and it falls on deaf ears what is the point? No, I don't ask someone how they are if I don't really want to know, I'd just say Good Morning instead. I'd rather you just say Good Morning too if you really aren't interested in more (not that I would fill your ear anyway). I'd rather have silence than pleasantries, at least the former is sincere, but I am more about actions than words and always have been.
Bah humbug...

Well, GOOD MORNING then!!!! How are you today??

Old 01-09-2009, 09:51 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,885,197 times
I think Marianmark hit it right on the mark. If we all even attempted to put ourselves in each others shoes and understand we do come form very different places...the world would be a lot nicer. I like reading all the different view points and what people site for their reasons for what they believe. I may not agree but it does help me grow in my own walk. You may not understand that someone may be more likely to press you on a matter because your viewpoint may have been connected to one that has hurt them deeply in the past, or because they see what they feel is an injustice, or because "mom" pushed it on them....we all get to where we are on very different roads. The thing is we are all passionate about what we believe and unfortunatly we all think we are right, which means everybody else is wrong. And in that comes a lot of judgement felt from one side and a lot of passion for "why don't they get it" on the other. All I claim to know is that I have 100% full faith in God. I feel His love, His grace, and the beauty of life in relationship with Him. I don't know a lot beyond that. I am always growing and learning.

And for the record I love to hand out I love yous but when they are said they are meant. I just happen to love a lot of people !

Old 01-09-2009, 10:05 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,551,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I carry my "Good morning" a little deeper. I add "Top of the morning to ya". Makes me feel exotic and foriegn.

If I really like the person I'll add an accent..
bigthirsty, my " good mornings' always have a smile with them.
A lot of times I just shout "Morning" !!! (oops, sorry about the exclamation marks...) One older brother( older than me, that is), always sys, " Yes it is, somewhere."
I am trying to add the, "Good".

BTW, I love your last post...Thank you.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,860 times
An added thought from a non-Christian (believer, but not Christian). I was drawn to marian's OP because, while I do not always see eye to eye with her, I do find a lot of wisdom in her words and I gleen out much that pertains to me, even without our common beliefs.

The word "Love" is a very powerful word. I cannot think of any word that expresses more attachment for one person to another. There is parental love, friendship love, sexual love, companionship love...probably others that escape me, but in each instance that is the highest word one can use to express how they feel about another. No emotion is stronger than love...except perhaps hate, which falls into this same category.

When I read posts from people who gush the words "I love you..." to people they have never met and do not know at all other than what they have written in a forum, I feel very uncomfortable with it. You may approve of that person's post, or like what they have said, or feel compassion for whatever that person is going through...but to use the words "Oh, I love you!" with such ease is just very superficial. I actually "love" a limited amount of people...and certainly not my enemies. I may "like" many people (and I do) and I certainly can forgive and accept (I often do), but "love"? No.

Maybe it's just the Christian use of that word that troubles me. It's easy to say "I love you" but to actually feel that emotion runs very deep. And this is probably not at all what Marian was trying to say but I just could not control myself. I had to throw in my .02 cents. I do not know Marian personally and we have many differences in our opinions, but I respect her and I would guess if I knew her we might be very good friends in spite of our differences....I might even love her. Who knows? But as a person on a forum...nope, can't love her. However, it is nothing personal...in fact, it is exactly the opposite

I respect and admire you, Marian!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Marian,
Such a nice feeling post...Love it when you talk like this...shear open honesty. I think we take it that when you type all the !!!! that, most of the time, you are upset...maybe this is not the case. I feel for you everytime I see you in this state...sincerely. I wonder what others do to upset you like this. You have posted such nice posts today that I wonder if you are even the same person. I like this person. We can discuss scripture on a calm basis...I know this as we do it in church all the time....and I have seen it done here. I know that I have my opinions however; I feel God would not want me to be angry with others who are misguided or do not think like I do. I know that I learn more by reading posts that are not angry...if they are angry then my attention goes to this instead of what they are writing.

I have never meant to hurt you and would like very much to be your friend. I value the things you have to say when they do not sound like you are upset. When you get upset it sounds like you are saying "If you don't believe like me then you then I wonder about your salvation." I'm probably wrong and this is not your thinking at all....as you said it is very hard to get what you are thinking across on this board.

So nice to see you Marian,
Sherry
Sherry, perhaps I am not "the same person".
I am not trying to work on anyone's sympathies, but I do have a chronic pain and cognitive problem. It is called Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I have coped with it for over 40 years.
I also have an 82 year old husband that is failing both mentally and physically, and now he has lost most of his hearing.

I am sorry that I do get upset with attacks for what I post. I think it takes a much stronger person than I, to not get upset when someone attacks you personally.(Actually, I may be guilty of misinterpreting other's responses?)
I am very 'wrapped up' in defending the word of God. I suspect some of you would attribute that to the guiding of the Spirit. I personally do not know if that is the case, but it very well may be?

As for the exclamatiom marks that I use...I never (usually) associate them with anger... I use them to attempt to show that I am excited about what I am saying ,not angry. I am trying to express the importance of what I am hoping to get across. It is seldom from anger, unless I have been unfairly attacked, and I am afraid I am not above getting upset about that.
I have said before, and maintain, it is not what I think, that is important, it is what is taught in the teachings of the new covenant. I try very diligently to present God's word, in an accurate way. I will be held acountable if I misrepresent His word.

Last edited by Towhee; 01-09-2009 at 10:56 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 10:26 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,168,383 times
It blows my mind that love can be seen so wrong. Who knew?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Esslecue..right back at you!

What you expressed is very much what I was trying to get across. Thank you.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,168,383 times
So does it boil down to someone that expresses love so freely is fake?

Sorry but I'm slightly offended by this. When I am full of God's love, it is so easy for me to spread love around. Because of odd comments here and there at this site lately, I've been repressing that need. To me, that is what is really sad.

I'm just this side of disgusted.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:52 AM

852 posts, read 1,365,866 times
Default loving

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
It blows my mind that love can be seen so wrong. Who knew?
I really do not think that Marian is saying Love is wrong...I really believe she is saying that many say it and do not mean it. .... . Just as in when we pass someone and say "How are you today?" Do we really mean it? Do we really want to stay and listen to what they have to say...I know for myself---sometimes I do...but I sometimes I have erred when I ask this question as I do not have time to stop and listen.

Always learning....I should think more before asking this question..and I should Really love when I am going to say it. I know many people really do feel they love everyone...and when they say it, they said it for real...but, sad to say...some do not mean it. I wish I were more like the ones who truely do find love in everyone....and can say it openly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity