Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:46 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,843,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
In the first epistle of John, the author is careful to expose the counterfeit Christians. It is obvious that there were many who claimed to be "born of God" who were not, so John made certain that we would be able to test ourselves (and others) to know if we are children of God.

* How can we know who are the children of God and who are the children of the Devil?

"By this it may be seen who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not do right is not of God, nor he who does not love his brother." 1 John 3:10

*Are those who commit sin "children of the Devil"?

"He who commits sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning." 1 John 3:8

*Do those who are born of God commit sin?

"No one born of God commits sin; for God's nature abides in him, and he cannot sin because he is born of God. 1 John 3:9

JESUS SAID:

"And this is life eternal, that they might KNOW thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
John 17:3

Many "Christians" think they have come to KNOW God because they believe in Christ (whatever that means) or because they speak in tongues or perhaps because they were baptized. Do they really KNOW God?

*How can we know that we have come to know God?

"And by >this< we may be sure that we KNOW him,
if we keep his commandments." 1 John 2:3

*What about those who say they KNOW God and do not
keep His commandments?

"He who says "I KNOW him" but disobeys his Commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him;"
1 John 2:4

According to these tests given to us by the apostle John, there are many people who are counterfeit Christians. However, if one accepts the testimony of John, one cannot be deceived. John's language is simple and easily understood even by "little children".

"No one who abides in him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known him.

"Little children, let no one deceive you. He who does right is righteous, as he is righteous. He who commits sin is of the devil;" I John 3:6-8

Those Christian sinners who say that one can be a child of God and still commit sin are trying to deceive the reader. (...either knowingly or unknowingly!)

I hope and pray that those who think they are born of God even though they still commit sin will listen to the apostle John...

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. He that committeth sin **is of the devil;**

Whosoever is born of God **doth not commit sin;** In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever **doeth not righteousness** is not of God, We know that whosoever is born of God **sinneth not;**

The deceivers will howl "Grace!" and try to defend the sin in their lives with clever and skillful arguments about the "righteousness of Christ", but that is why the apostle John wrote in such a way that no one can misunderstand what it means to be righteous.

Listen to John...

"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that **doeth righteousness**is righteous, I John 3:7

Donna Kupp

The Seven Deadly Deceptions Of Counterfeit Christianity
freetruth.info
Has anyone ever stopped to think that the meaning of these verses is that , yes you can sin but you will be chastised for it, you wil be convicted of it? I dont know anyone who doesnt sin from time to time, but I do know plenty who when they sin they know it is sin and they repent and ask forgiveness. I know it is a tough road to travel and we must resist temptation but we still fight with the flesh and the flesh is a powerful adversary. You see we still have the tendency to seek that which we can see and feel over what we believe and this can cloud our judgement and build a wall between us and the Holy Spirit making it difficult to here the truth and this is why we must crucify our flesh daily and seek Gods word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 AM

5,519 posts, read 7,355,200 times
let's not forget that one of the names for the prince of darkness is

"The Accuser....."

Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 AM

63,940 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
let's not forget that one of the names for the prince of darkness is

"The Accuser....."
Excellent point, Oakback. What is this obsession with deciding who is and who isn't a "real" Christian??? These judgers need to be concerned about their own fate. Bottom line . . . if you "think, feel and act like Jesus Christ" you will be fine (with ALL that entails) . . . whatever you profess to believe or not believe! Jesus KNOWS and DECIDES . . . no one else.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM

302 posts, read 554,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
"No one born of God commits sin; for God's nature abides in him, and he cannot sin because he is born of God. 1 John 3:9

Donna I hope for your sake you are saying these things in ignorance. For 1 John 3:9 speaks of habitual sinners, not people who occassionaly sin, for we all sin. No Christian is, or can be totally sinless. As long as we are in these 'flesh' bodies we will sin. I have walked with the Lord for many, many years and as far as being sinless. All I can say is I SIN LESS.

How many times can you commit adultery before it is habitual?

Donna Kupp

freetruth.info

Old 01-29-2009, 10:32 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,852,751 times
Quote:
How many times can you commit adultery before it is habitual?

Donna Kupp

freetruth.info
more than seven times seventy.....

Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,289,242 times
There is sin"
And the act of sin"
This is what the precious woork of the cross was all about
They are two different things;
I will hopefully be able to get back with you on the difference soon as I can
God Bless

Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 AM

302 posts, read 554,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
more than seven times seventy.....
"Gasp!" --Does your wife know this?

Donna

freetruth.info

Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,852,751 times
Quote:
"Gasp!" --Does your wife know this?

Donna

freetruth.info
look beyond the words........ Job 15:6
Your own mouth condemns you, not I; your own lips testify against you.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,893,433 times
Smile Yeah...what mshipmate said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post

Donna I hope for your sake you are saying these things in ignorance. For 1 John 3:9 speaks of habitual sinners, not people who occassionaly sin, for we all sin. No Christian is, or can be totally sinless. As long as we are in these 'flesh' bodies we will sin. I have walked with the Lord for many, many years and as far as being sinless. All I can say is I SIN LESS.

I totally agree. I really sincerely believe Donna means well, and I genuinely mean no offense to her, but I think she is interpreting certain scripture literally...that it means exactly what it says. However, no Christian is utterly sinless...we all sin from time to time....we are simply not perfect, just forgiven. Even some of the biggest names in Christiandom have fallen....some of the really mature and educated Christians have fallen in sin from time to time. (look at some of the recent big name TV preachers, for example) So when we sin, do we say "well doggone-it...I guess I wasn't a real Christian, because I just sinned!....Hmmm...well...I'll just get saved again, and then sin no more...". Well, that may work fine and dandy...until the next time you sin...then the process starts all over again...and again...and again...and again...ad infinitum. This can lead to one wanting to just give up...that we will never be "good enough". Well...guess what? That's exactly right...you aren't good enough! None of us are! We don't deserve to go to Heaven...not any of us!

The truth of the matter is this: we all sin. But, as mshipmate said: we sin less as Christians (hopefully less), but nevertheless eventually we all are gonna screw up at one time or another. We should just repent, ask for forgiveness, pick ourselves up, dust ourself off, and move on. Don't let it stop you. Hopefully, we will learn to become more pure and holy as we mature.
So, what do I think the scripture means when it says "no one born of God sins"? Instead of a literal interpretation, I believe it is speaking of our spirit man, that part of us that is born again...the new man...the new creature...our innermost being. And NOT our flesh, or the carnal nature (our carnal soul) still in and with us. The flesh, and our old nature will constantly battle against the spirit...like a good vs evil war going on continually within us.
The Bible says "IF we sin...we have an advocate with the Father...." (Jesus) Now...why would it say that, if we didn't sin?

Even the Apostle Paul admitted "the thing I would to do...I do not...and the thing I would not to do, I do" Even he struggled with the old carnal nature...the flesh...
And the Apostle Peter LIED! He denied knowing Jesus three times...(imagine telling everyone publicly that you don't know Him...after walking with Him, being with Him, and learning from Him, every day for YEARS...)
And Moses...that giant of the Bible....who wrote much of the OT, was a murderer! (remember: he killed the Egyptian...)
And King David was also a murderer...he had Bathsheba's husband (Uriah) killed, so he could marry her. (Classic example of lust of the flesh). But God, the Father, said David was a man "after his own heart"...
So...it's not hopeless...don't EVER give up!

So you say you still have a sin problem, even though you are a Christian? Well...welcome to the club. It means you are human, like the rest of us, and not some angel. The angels don't need salvation: they don't sin. We do...we need Jesus.
Take heart...it's not hopeless...we're all in this same boat together. It's like the whole world is flooding with the most vile of sin, but we are safe inside the boat...the ark of salvation, through Jesus Christ. Learn to overcome sin...learn to become holy. If you see "water" seeping through a crack in your boat...PLUG it! Do something about it! If it is temptation, then turn and run the other way. It's what sanctification is all about. We start out as baby Christians, but we are supposed to "grow up"...some do well in that regard, others don't. I would be real careful about casting that first stone...when we don't approve of what some other Christian is doing...or when we disagree with how someone is interpreting scripture. This forum is a good tool for learning...but not everything said here is neccessarily true...there are many "side-roads and dead-ends". Ask God for wisdom! He will show you what is true, and what is not.

God Bless You All!
Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 01-29-2009 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-29-2009, 12:41 PM

436 posts, read 1,175,126 times
And you know whats funny - the are even more phonies now more than ever before. And whats worse is they are as much on top as the bottom of our beloved order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity