Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,752,135 times

Advertisements

THE TRINITY
What is the Trinity

God the Father
God the Son ( Jesus Christ )
God the Holy Spirit ( also called the Holy Ghost )
There is only one God, and this one God is in three Persons.
The Persons are distinct:
The Father is not the Son.

The Son is not the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not the Father.
God is absolutely perfect divine Being in three Persons. He being is what God is in relation to the universe he created. The three are called Persons because they relate to one another in personal ways.
When Christians talk about believing in one God in three Persons
( the Trinity ) , they do NOT mean:

1 God in 3 Gods, or 3 Persons in 1 Person, or
1 Person in 3 Gods Rather, the mean:
1 God in 3 Persons.

1+1+1=1

Therefore,
The Father is God-the fist Person of the Trinity.
The son is God-the second Person of the Trinity.
The Holy spirit is God-the third Person of the Trinity. ( the title” Holy Ghost” is an older English expression for “ Holy Ghost.” Each is an acceptable translation of the phrase in the Bible.)

The Bible clearly teaches that there is only one God, yet all three Persons are called God.

There is only one God:
* Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is LORD. (Deuteronomy 6:4 )

* Before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
( Isaiah. 43:10)
The Father is God:

* Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
(II Thessalonians 1:2 )

The Son is God:
* The Word was God. ( John 1:1-5, 14 ) Jesus is identified as
“ the Word.”

* I and the Father are one. ( John 10:30-33 )

* Jesus” disciple Thomas addressed Jesus as “ My Lord and my God.”
( John 20:28 ) Jesus did not tell Thomas he was mistaken; instead Jesus accepted these titles. Other people in Scripture, notably Paul and Barnabas.
( Acts 14 ), refused to accept worship as gods.

* But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a scepter of righteousness is the scepter of thy kingdom of thy kingdom. ( Hebrews 1:8 )

* Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above ever name: and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that every tongue should confess the Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
( Philippians 2:9-11 ) Paul, the writer of Philippians, is saying about Jesus what ( Isaiah 45:23 ) says about the LORD, and then Paul concludes that Jesus is LORD , that is, the same LORD God of the Old Testament.

See these passages about Jesus” deity: Isaiah 7:14; Isaiah 9:6; John 1:1; John 1:18; John 8:58-59; John 10:30; Acts 20:28; Romans 9:5; Romans 10:9-13; Colossians 1:15-16; Colossians 2:9; Titus 2:13; Hebrews 1: 3,8; II Peter 1:1; I John 5:20.

The Holy Spirit is God:
* But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost?…..Thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
( Acts 5:3-4. )
This verse equates the Holy Spirit ( Holy Ghost ) with God.

* Now the Lord is that Spirit. ( II Corinthians 3:17 ) “ The Lord” here refers to “ the LORD” in the Old Testament verse ( Exodus 34:34 ) Paul had just quoted in the previous verse (II Corinthians 3:16).
More Than 60 Bible Passages Mention the Three Persons Together:

*Matthew 3:16-17. “And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water; and lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him; And lo a voice from heaven saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

*Matthew 28:19. “Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Ghost.”

*II Corinthians 13:14. “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all.”

*Ephesians 4:4-6. “There is one body and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.”

*Titus 3:4-6. “But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior…..”See also John 3:34-35;

John 14:26; John 15:26; John 16:13-15; Romans 14:17-18; Romans 15:13-17; Romans 15:30; I Corinthians 6:11, 17-19; I Corinthians 12:4-6; II Corinthians 1:21-22; II Corinthians 3:4-6; Galatians 2:21,3:2; Galatians 4:6; Ephesians 2:18; Ephesians 3:11-17; Ephesians 5:18-20; Colossians 1:6-8; I Thessalonians 1:1-5; I Thessalonians 4:2,8; I Thessalonians 5:18-19; II Thessalonians 3:5; Hebrews 9:14; I Peter 1:2; I John 3:23-24; I John 4:13-14
and Jude 20-21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:29 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,639 times
My input is way oversimplified, but intended to perhaps share a teaching tool if you're trying to help someone grasp the concept of The Trinity.

How many ways can you use the word "you?" And when you hear/read the word "you" what do you picture in your head?

You can be one person to whom the speaker directs his message.
You can be two people, still addressed as "you."
Or you might be a whole host of people.

Same word or name but carries slightly different connotation with each.
God may be the Creator/Father/YHWH.
God may be Jesus/Savior/Son of Man.
God may be Holy Spirit/Comforter/Paraclete.

This seemed to work with my kids.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:37 AM

Why can't God many characters be in one. God is trying to show us, the person that he is, in many characters in one!!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 AM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
Why can't God many characters be in one. God is trying to show us, the person that he is, in many characters in one!!
Absolutely! The carnal mind just can't comprehend Him in His fullness. This elementary explanation opened my kids minds to receiving the milk and someday, hopefully the meat of the Gospel.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 AM

You will have your wish

Old 01-30-2009, 12:50 PM

11 posts, read 18,990 times
Default Quick Response

I have a suggestion: There is only one true God right?
ok, this is a way to explain it for understanding.

God is the Father, Jesus is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, God the father, God the son, God the Holy Spirit.
ok?? with me so far?? They are 1 God, "which is God"

When a man is a little boy, he is called, "A Son" right?
When or if he gets married he is called, "A husband" right?
If he has children he is called, "A father" right?
He is still the same man, he just has different titles right? the man becomes: The son, the husband, and the father but he is still the same man (1 man).

This is how it is with God, God is our Father, God is Jesus (the son), and God's Spirit is the Holy Spirit.
All three are still the same God.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:00 PM

Red face Things that are spiritual

[
Quote:
QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aolazaran View Post
I have a suggestion: There is only one true God right?
ok, this is a way to explain it for understanding.

God is the Father, Jesus is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, God the father, God the son, God the Holy Spirit.
ok?? with me so far?? They are 1 God, "which is God"

When a man is a little boy, he is called, "A Son" right?
When or if he gets married he is called, "A husband" right?
If he has children he is called, "A father" right?
He is still the same man, he just has different titles right? the man becomes: The son, the husband, and the father but he is still the same man (1 man).
This is how it is with God, God is our Father, God is Jesus (the son), and God's Spirit is the Holy Spirit.
All three are still the same God
Yes, you absolutely right is a form that God let us know who he is, remember all this is spiritual. We don't think in terms of physical, because of our nature but we think something much higher than us. God says I will give you an earthly story with a spiritual meaning.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:56 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
I wonder why so many people have a hard time with this reality of God. He created the world, so how I see it, if he created everything, he can surely be a Son, and the Holy Spirit. Kinda like my Mom is a mother, a daughter, a grandmother, and so on. I know that my mom is no where on the scale of God, just giving an example. People will read that and go crazy and post all kind of crazy stuff. But God is truely amazing and I wish people would see Him for who he truely is, our Father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity