Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,774,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Because "true" Christians use the Bible as their ONLY source for absolute truth. You are not concerned with absolute truth since you gain your "experiences" from the flesh.

2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Where does it say that ONLY scripture is useful for teaching.

You're missing the other half
2 Thess. 2:15

Old 03-04-2009, 12:07 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Where does it say that ONLY scripture is useful for teaching.

You're missing the other half
2 Thess. 2:15
and is not the word scripture and does not the epistle teach from the word? traditions are from scripture, if it does not follow scripture than it is not from God.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 PM

actually scripture is from tradition

Old 03-04-2009, 12:21 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
actually scripture is from tradition
How can that be? Scripture which is God's word was always here even before creation.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
How can that be? Scripture which is God's word was always here even before creation.
Fine, the bible , well the NT is from tradition

Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Thank you, Carolina-guy, for your kind words to me. Never ceases to amaze how clearly the love of Christ comes pouring through those who claim him as their own - and only theirs.

Please. Note the sarcasm.

You do not have the authority to speak for Christ. You do not have the authority to claim who or who does not walk in his path.

You certainly do not speak for God.

Reliance on a book is neither the barometer of Christ's message nor the limitations of his love. Next you'll be telling Catholics they are not Christian or Baptists or Gnostics or Christian Mystics or Protestants... It never ends until there is only you.

Learn to speak from the source of Universal Love as the Prince of Peace did rather than the fear of building ideological walls to keep "others" out as the Devil does, and you will begin to understand the path of those who you seek to purge from this forum.

I know this is a level of spiritual attainment that's beyond the mytho-rational structure to which you adhere, but it's a beautiful place to discover. When Mary and Christ visited me and guided me through an extraordinary journey of being born again, he revealed a wisdom rooted in pure love that transcends all religion and science.

You are not there yet in your spiritual journey, but instead of pushing away all who walk a different path be open to the possibility that it awaits you. To try and stifle the expression of that experience in others simply because you do not yet have experience in it is neither Christ-like nor ethical for a public discussion forum on the teachings of Christ.

Best to you in Christ, our lighthouse in the darkness.
Quote:
You do not have the authority to speak for Christ. You do not have the authority to claim who or who does not walk in his path.

You certainly do not speak for God.
Bluefly, while I can understand your anger with someone telling you you are totally wrong and not a Christian, etc etc. That is justified.

However regarding this quote of yours:

Quote:
When Maryand Christ visited me and guided me through an extraordinary journey of being born again, he revealed a wisdom rooted in pure love that transcends all religion and science.
I'm guessing you believe in Jesus Christ and or God? Well here's what God says about seeing and talking to dead people such as Mary.

Deut. 18:9 ¶ When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.

10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,

11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a *necromancer.

* a necromancer is one who consults the dead.

The most familiar case in the Bible is King Saul/ and the witch of Endor for which God took the Holy Spirit away from Saul.

12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

By your allowing what you thought was Mary to talk and or guide you you were 'consulting the dead' or indulging in "necromancy."

I am sure you sincerely believe this was a genuine encounter with Christ, but I assure you God would not go against His own commandment and use a method He says is an abomination. That would make God or Christ out to be a liar!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Reliance on a book is neither the barometer of Christ's message nor the limitations of his love. ...
Says who? You? Do you have any authoritative basis for your statement other than your own opinion?

Do you rely on a good mechanic who in turn relies on good shop manuals in order to fix your car?

Do you rely on a good cook book full of recipes to enable you to find one that satisfies the apetite?

Do you rely on IRS instructions in the form of online "books" and "pamphlets" to show you how to properly fill out your taxes? Or if not on tax preparers who in turn rely on other books to enable them to competently fill out your tax return for you?

I don't know what you have against looking to a book for answers and directions Bluefly but unless you are prepared to apply your bias against looking to the Bible for spiritual answers and guidance equally accross the board to also discount all knowledge gained from books in your life...your view does't hold any water.

And it ridicules the one book, the Bible, that has shown itself time and time again to be the best guide to spiritual truth that we have.

I believe the general terms for your bias against books or rather the one book, the Bible is otherwise known as a straw man. An argument that holds no real substance.

Carlos

Old 03-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I think the original poster wanted to define what being a Christian was based on what the Bible says. Plain and simple.

Maybe we can honor his original intent and get back to a discussion of what it means to be a Christian based on what the Bible says. Literally says.

Rather than going off in tangents about tradition vs Scripture, sights of Jesus this or Jesus that, spiritual experiences and the like.

Carlos

Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Maybe we can honor his original intent and get back to a discussion of what it means to be a Christian based on what the Bible says. Literally says.
IT is an oxymoron to talk about using "literal" reading to ascertain original intent . . .

Old 03-04-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
IT is an oxymoron to talk about using "literal" reading to ascertain original intent . . .
It may be an oxymoron from your perspective MysticPhD but since the original poster started the thread to discuss what the Bible said about what it means to be a Christian, oxymoron or not...the most considerate thing to do would be to either discuss what the Bible says about this...or leave the thread.

Don't you think? Unless you want to hijack the thread for some reason.

Carlos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity