Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
God doesn't believe in atheists I believe no one truly believes there is "NO" existence of God. Some people choose to suppress it, dismiss it as being indoctrinated. We all believe there is a God.
When you capitalize the "g" in god, you refer to one particular god and in that case you are wrong. Not everyone believes in existence of your god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 02:38 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
When you capitalize the "g" in god, you refer to one particular god and in that case you are wrong. Not everyone believes in existence of your god.
I believe they do unfortunately they are misguided in their ignorance and need someone to clear it up for them by giving them the gospel.

(Acts 17:23) 23"For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, 'TO AN UNKNOWN GOD ' Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:39 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,993 times
Sorry, Fund, I wouldn't dare generalize the entire population. I don't know every one on the planet to judge them, but I do know enough to say we're all different. It only takes one to prove ya wrong. Here I am

I'm sorry, I just can't swallow the idea of it all. Its too illogical for my brain cells to comprehend as anything but mythological tales akin to Jason and the Argonauts or the Golden Fleece. Sorry.

god, goddesses, and creatures great and small of any religion are fun stories to read about but nothing to take very seriously beyond some moral of the story that might be there.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Sorry, Fund, I wouldn't dare generalize the entire population. I don't know every one on the planet to judge them, but I do know enough to say we're all different. It only takes one to prove ya wrong. Here I am

I'm sorry, I just can't swallow the idea of it all. Its too illogical for my brain cells to comprehend as anything but mythological tales akin to Jason and the Argonauts or the Golden Fleece. Sorry.

god, goddesses, and creatures great and small of any religion are fun stories to read about but nothing to take very seriously beyond some moral of the story that might be there.
Just like it is too illogical that no matter where you go on this entire planet, from western Europe to the deep jungles of Africa; places who have never heard the name of Jesus yet we all basically have the same moral laws. We know it is wrong to steal, murder, sleep with our brother's wife, wrong to lie.

(Hebrews 10:16) 16"THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THEM
AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS UPON THEIR HEART,AND ON THEIR MIND I WILL WRITE THEM,

Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,993 times
But the reason for the Topic was so I could understand why people grasp one concept from another so readily. What happens that makes them suddenly believe or not. And I think I understand. Its usually some trauma in their lives thats created a huge emptiness and this fills that.

I simply maintain that those without that huge emptiness (and are thus still content) do not as yet (or will they ever perhaps) need religion to complete them. And that is their choice.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
But the reason for the Topic was so I could understand why people grasp one concept from another so readily. What happens that makes them suddenly believe or not. And I think I understand. Its usually some trauma in their lives thats created a huge emptiness and this fills that.

I simply maintain that those without that huge emptiness (and are thus still content) do not as yet (or will they ever perhaps) need religion to complete them. And that is their choice.
I love that song, it's hilarious. You gotta God shaped hole in your heart

by the way its unbiblical BUT the rest you said, I agree with but not everyone.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:

I believe anyone who does not have Jesus in their heart has a huge emptiness and only He can fill that void. We didn't just wake up one morning and decided today I believe, it is the Holy Spirit who helps up receive and understand the truth.
Jesus said He gives us peace of mind and heart the world cannot give (John 14:17)

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 03-09-2009 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: left out word

Old 03-09-2009, 03:19 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,465 times
Quote:
I can see someone doing that if they have something in themselves that needs filling. Such as Dave was in a state of despair, that Christ was exactly what he needed.

If you felt like nothing, then it gave you a purpose, then that filled that whole of feeling worthlessness.

I'm sensing a common theme? (Correct me if I'm wrong) That usually the non-religious person has something in their life that is just really going bad that they can't seem to see themselves out of and following a faith helps them out of it. Is that right? I'm not judging. Just trying to understand.

Now for the rest of those non-believers, perhaps..maybe they are still content in life? That things haven't gone bad and they haven't felt a gap that needs to be filled yet? Maybe their lives as they are are okay so far and they don't need it? Again just trying to nail it down a little.
I wasn't really looking for Him, but He kept finding me until I understood He was real.
Then, it seemed the only reasonable course to take.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:22 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,468 times
Quote:
I can see someone doing that if they have something in themselves that needs filling. Such as Dave was in a state of despair, that Christ was exactly what he needed.

If you felt like nothing, then it gave you a purpose, then that filled that whole of feeling worthlessness.

I'm sensing a common theme? (Correct me if I'm wrong) That usually the non-religious person has something in their life that is just really going bad that they can't seem to see themselves out of and following a faith helps them out of it. Is that right? I'm not judging. Just trying to understand.

Now for the rest of those non-believers, perhaps..maybe they are still content in life? That things haven't gone bad and they haven't felt a gap that needs to be filled yet? Maybe their lives as they are are okay so far and they don't need it? Again just trying to nail it down a little.
Well, that's a hard question...because many do find faith when they "down." I, however, wasn't down when I realized that He did exist and I believe He, through the Holy Spirit, gave me that inner peace...a peace that I didn't even know I didn't have. In the bible it mentions the Holy Spirit and people thinking that those who had the Holy Spirit were drunk? I don't know exactly where it is...so maybe someone else could help as to where exactly is it. Well, this is, I guess kind of how I feel when I feel the Holy Spirit...I was happy before...but upon experiencing this feeling it is impossible not to smile... It is not, for me, a feeling that is always with me...but it does happen. Upon praying I can usually feel it. Sometimes I feel it even when I'm not expecting to. I have to say it is a feeling like no other. This is what I meant by find Him in your heart. Know that Jesus came to die for our sins...once you have this faith...God knows...God acts and if your heart is open, He can bestow upon you a feeling like no other you have ever experienced in your life.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:36 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
I wasn't really looking for Him, but He kept finding me until I understood He was real.
Then, it seemed the only reasonable course to take.
I kept being found, also, and I am so grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity