Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,283,563 times

Advertisements

By all accounts, this has GOT to be one of the more stupid threads that June have ever started (and June doesn't start too many threads.) But it just struck June during a moment of epiphany that she is curious as to just why it is that one would choose to be a Christian. June has been around this forum long enough, and understands the whole "ET/UR" debate well enough, but nonetheless, all debating aside, June is just curious as to what all of you regard as being at the heart of Christianity. In other words, apart from the whole "heaven vs. hell" issue, why Christianity?

June is essentially asking:

What is at the heart of your belief for you? What, in your opinion, would be the greatest reasons as to why a person would be a Christian? What would be lost in the event that you weren't a Christian? What are the benefits to you, personally, as regards your being a Christian and your Christian faith? Most of all, what is the biggest 'arguement' for Christianity, as opposed to any other faith or religious belief?

June's just curious, as she reads many threads that debate various aspects and doctrines of Christianity, but which say far less as to why one is, or would choose to be a Christian.

~Just a "just June" point of curiosity.

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to respond/enlighten June....

Take gentle care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,767,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
By all accounts, this has GOT to be one of the more stupid threads that June have ever started (and June doesn't start too many threads.) But it just struck June during a moment of epiphany that she is curious as to just why it is that one would choose to be a Christian. June has been around this forum long enough, and understands the whole "ET/UR" debate well enough, but nonetheless, all debating aside, June is just curious as to what all of you regard as being at the heart of Christianity. In other words, apart from the whole "heaven vs. hell" issue, why Christianity?

June is essentially asking:

What is at the heart of your belief? What, in your opinion, would be the greatest reasons as to why a person would be a Christian? What would be lost in the event that you weren't a Christian? What are the benefits to you, personally, as regards your being a Christian and your Christian faith? Most of all, what is the biggest 'arguement' for Christianity, as opposed to any other faith or religious belief?

June's just curious, as she reads many threads that debate various aspects and doctrines of Christianity, but which say far less as to why one is, or would chose to be a Christian.

Take gentle care.
I believe Christianity is different from every other religion because it deals with the mortal need of humanity for salvation from sin and death. The vicarious atonement of Christ represents the liberty won by the personal God for all man kind.

I want to be with my loved ones again who have died, and i see that there is also a need for a universal change in the way humanity thinks and relates to one another. At the core of Christianity is the need of salvation from sin and death(we will be together in the end and death will not keep us apart for ever), so that we are not living this life in vain, and so that we can learn from our mistakes and from the evil that exists in the world around us.

I believe Christianity is the only faith that answers the essential question of death and transcendence of the creature from its mortal state of corruption into a state of cosmic harmony and bliss through unity in Christ.

If there is a God, and i believe and hope that there is, then Christianity is the only religion that teaches that God became a man(though some Christian may disagree on this point) and overcame evil in order that we might be changed spiritually and mentally, so that we can unite in the love of God for all things.

Though other philosophies and religions represent virtue and proper moral conduct, they do not emphasize the self sacrifice of God in Christ for the betterment of his all mankind.

I sum it up as Christianity being "love they neighbor as thy self" and "love the enemy". Christ not only provided us the perfect example of this love of God, but he also provides for us a physical and spiritual transformation through which we change from self serving carnal beings who only do good for fear of reproach or for hope of reward.

I know i need to be saved from myself, and i do not believe i have within me what i need in order to be better than i already am spiritually. I see what Christ has done as the absolute respite and example of the love of God, and i am thereby(by the spirit of Christ) inspired and edified so that i desire to emulate him in my own life, in the way i treat others, and in the way i am thankful for even the evil that exists in the world, knowing that because of the work of Christ on the cross, i can experience evil and learn from it while not being destroyed by being in bondage to it at the same time.

Just a few thoughts on the matter ... There is much more to it than that, but this is a good start in explaining a personal need for deity and vicarious salvation.

Obviously the world is in need of something to change it for the better, and i certainly do not believe that mankind has it within themselves to make that change without divine intervention. So i see the need for Christ not only for personal change and growth and for personal salvation from sin and death and the power that they hold in the world over people(for instance power corrupts, and evil men use fear of death and destruction to control others, with Christ we need not fear death of the body, but can rest in Christ and have hope of a better life and better world to come), but i also see Christ as necessary for humanity to transcend its corruptible state and finally achieve a level of spirituality wherein we might all come together as one and finally move past the state we are stuck in, being so prone to war and violence and competition and one-upsmanship due to our carnal corruptible animal natures.

Peace ...

Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 PM

45,598 posts, read 27,223,343 times
Quote:
What is at the heart of your belief for you? What, in your opinion, would be the greatest reasons as to why a person would be a Christian? What would be lost in the event that you weren't a Christian? What are the benefits to you, personally, as regards your being a Christian and your Christian faith? Most of all, what is the biggest 'arguement' for Christianity, as opposed to any other faith or religious belief?
Assumed : All humans are eternal in a spiritual sense. We die physically, our soul, spirit will exist. The question is where.

1. - The heart of belief is Christ came to save sinners from death to life. Because God is Holy and sinless, we being sinners are destined for death and an existence apart from God. The wages of sin is death (separation from the source of life, which is God - not extinction). Christ came and lived a sinless life. Although He died, He arose from the dead because He did not sin. When we believe in Christ, God in His grace allows the life of Christ to vouch for us - and we also will reside with Christ and God in heaven forever.

2. Why? Because we will reside w/ God forever - where He promises no more tears, pain, etc.

3. What would be lost? Life with God after earth. Torment & Fire will be your existence.

4. The benefits are beyond earth.

5. The biggest argument? Christ's grave is empty - proving that he rose from the dead. Everyone else died - their body remains in their grave.

This is quick - hopefully it makes sense.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,404,184 times
Quote:
What would be lost in the event that you weren't a Christian?
As a life-long Christian who has "lost" it, I think I'm qualified to answer .

Have you ever heard the Christian hymn, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus"? That is what I felt I lost: my best friend, my constant companion, the one who not only cared about the big stuff in my life, but the day to day grind, the little things. And not only a friend who cared, but one who used all of those big and little things to mold me and change me and teach me to love like he did.

And, as a former URist, I lost the anticipation of the "grand finale" of God's plan for the ages, the 'happily forever after" to this story. And I lost the possibility of eventually being so transformed by God's love that I would have the privelege of playing a much bigger role in helping other people who were hurting because they didn't know how loved and special and important they are.

But, I've gained as well. I realize how my religious beliefs made me a little crazed. They were so all-consuming. I'm more relaxed now, more accepting of myself and not feeling the weight of the world on my shoulders, not always concerned about not living up to an impossible standard.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,197,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I believe Christianity is different from every other religion because it deals with the mortal need of humanity for salvation from sin and death. The vicarious atonement of Christ represents the liberty won by the personal God for all man kind.

I want to be with my loved ones again who have died, and i see that there is also a need for a universal change in the way humanity thinks and relates to one another. At the core of Christianity is the need of salvation from sin and death(we will be together in the end and death will not keep us apart for ever), so that we are not living this life in vain, and so that we can learn from our mistakes and from the evil that exists in the world around us.

I believe Christianity is the only faith that answers the essential question of death and transcendence of the creature from its mortal state of corruption into a state of cosmic harmony and bliss through unity in Christ.

If there is a God, and i believe and hope that there is, then Christianity is the only religion that teaches that God became a man(though some Christian may disagree on this point) and overcame evil in order that we might be changed spiritually and mentally, so that we can unite in the love of God for all things.

Though other philosophies and religions represent virtue and proper moral conduct, they do not emphasize the self sacrifice of God in Christ for the betterment of his all mankind.

I sum it up as Christianity being "love they neighbor as thy self" and "love the enemy". Christ not only provided us the perfect example of this love of God, but he also provides for us a physical and spiritual transformation through which we change from self serving carnal beings who only do good for fear of reproach or for hope of reward.

I know i need to be saved from myself, and i do not believe i have within me what i need in order to be better than i already am spiritually. I see what Christ has done as the absolute respite and example of the love of God, and i am thereby(by the spirit of Christ) inspired and edified so that i desire to emulate him in my own life, in the way i treat others, and in the way i am thankful for even the evil that exists in the world, knowing that because of the work of Christ on the cross, i can experience evil and learn from it while not being destroyed by being in bondage to it at the same time.

Just a few thoughts on the matter ... There is much more to it than that, but this is a good start in explaining a personal need for deity and vicarious salvation.

Obviously the world is in need of something to change it for the better, and i certainly do not believe that mankind has it within themselves to make that change without divine intervention. So i see the need for Christ not only for personal change and growth and for personal salvation from sin and death and the power that they hold in the world over people(for instance power corrupts, and evil men use fear of death and destruction to control others, with Christ we need not fear death of the body, but can rest in Christ and have hope of a better life and better world to come), but i also see Christ as necessary forhumanity to transcend its corruptible state and finally achieve a level of spirituality wherein we might all come together as one and finally move past the state we are stuck in, being so prone to war and violence and competition and one-upsmanship due to our carnal corruptible animal natures.

Peace ...

Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,753,706 times
Quote:
June's just curious, as she reads many threads that debate various aspects and doctrines of Christianity, but which say far less as to why one is, or would choose to be a Christian.

Take gentle care.
[/quote]

Quote:
why one is, or would choose to be a Christian?

What is a true Christian his or her begin to think like Christ, begin to walks in truth and wisdom he or she, is not a double minded person, he or she carries with him or her the Spirit of adoption meaning He is the Spirit by we are made God’s holy children. Romans 8: 15. He is the only one, the Holy Spirit to begin renewing the mind to Christ like person or if you a non-Christian! I guess, if you had a choice of two worlds what? path will one take? Anyway anyone that begins a path towards Christ begin to be a Christian, Christ like personJ

We read in Gal 5:12-15 I could wish that those who trouble you would even cut themselves off! For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.  
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!

When you have a chance to read Galatians 5: 5 & 6 maybe this will help.
Paul points out that true Christian liberty is the freedom to serve one another in love, and love is equal.

Take gentle care.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:32 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,555,785 times
Quote:
What is at the heart of your belief for you? What, in your opinion, would be the greatest reasons as to why a person would be a Christian?

Simply to be in relationsip with the creator of all.

That's about it. That's the deal with Jesus.

It's kinda cool. God wants relationship.

The rest is just theology.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:49 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,574,518 times
All philosophies tend to be the individuals perception of the reality tempered by the constraints of their society. By being God Jesus's perspective is that of ultimate truth. So if the claims of the Christianity are to be believed it has ultimate truth rather than simply a human opinion.

However there's more than that. In Christianity God did not come down to live a life of luxury, lead an army, start a coup d'etat, or have colorful adventures across the known world. (To pick some stories of the other God-men claimants I recall) Christ lived as a common laborer. He experienced praise in Jerusalem and glory of his miracles, but he also experienced rejection and humiliation. And pain. We can know that God knows what it is like to be poor and to suffer. Probably even to experience sillier suffering like smelling bad, or at least being with guys who stink as many of them fished, and having some worn out clothes.

And then there's the humility. That the last will be first and that elevating yourself has negative consequences. Taoism does that some too, but whoever does it I find it attractive. As a person deemed "gifted" in youth I can easily slip into becoming full of myself and if I ever succumbed to atheism I think that would have been worse. In Christianity I can know that even if I'm smart and appear virtuous to others I still have much to learn and improve. And anything good in me is from God.

And there's probably other stuff too. I imagine to some atheists a few of these things might sound distinctly unpleasant, and I may have described them in ways more flowery than accurate or helpful, but it's up to the reader to decide how they feel about them.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:00 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,381,688 times
Anything is nothing, until you label it something.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:45 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,622,279 times
Quote:
why
I guess it's finally time for my 'testimony' story? I'll DM.
It.
To you.
Later.
Soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity