Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,251 times

Advertisements

I've read a few of your posts as Christians and have learned that a few of you started off as having doubts and later became Christians in the hopes that there must be something more to existence than...THIS what we live each day?

I can understand that until it gets to the "Born Again" type behavior, then I lose ya there. What makes a person go from one end of the spectrum to the other. Why not somewhere in the middle? Why such a huge jump?

I mean ya either believe or you don't. You don't just start believing the other end of the spectrum overnight assuming your belief was firmly grounded to begin with.

/signed
Curious and Confused

Last edited by Jackyfrost01; 03-09-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 10:42 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,353,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I've read a few of your posts as Christians and have learned that a few of you started off as having doubts and later became Christians in the hopes that there must be something more to existence than...THIS what we live each day?

I can understand that until it gets to the "Born Again" type behavior, then I lose ya there. What makes a person go from one end of the spectrum to the other. Why not somewhere in the middle? Why such a huge jump?

I mean ya either believe or you don't. You don't just start believing the other end of the spectrum overnight assuming your belief was firmly grounded to begin with.

/signed
Curious and Confused
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking atheists why/how they became Christians?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times
Quote:

/signed
Curious and Confused
God doesn't believe in atheists I believe no one truly believes there is "NO" existence of God. Some people choose to suppress it, dismiss it as being indoctrinated. We all believe there is a God.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,072,317 times
Quote:

/signed
Curious and Confused

If you believe in an Almighty God...why would you NOT want to do whatever he commands?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:14 AM

852 posts, read 1,366,085 times
I think that I had "doubts"---not really doubts..just questions in the beginning. I wasn't sure. But I chose to believe that Jesus died for our sins. After doing this i think God let me see the "proof" in this belief...and for me, He did in a way that gave me no room for doubt. I'm know I'm noone special...so I'm sure He has done it for many others also. He provides faith. Faith is what we have. Believing with everything we have...in our hearts type of faith. God sees. God acts. But we have to open our hearts to hear.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 PM

381 posts, read 799,295 times
jackfrost

what makes you go from one end ot the other? first I reached a brokeness and hopelessness that came from a life crisis. I had always thought that it was me who did it. it was all me. i could win. i could succeed. when utter failure, total financial mayhem, death threats from my ex partner, and looking at all the years of hard work down the drain, came into my house,

I got on my knees in tears of despair and called on the only name given under heaven by which I coud be saved, the man, Jesus Christ, God in the flesh.

God loves then sinner , of which I was foremost, and he loves a broken contrite heart. I had those things. He picked up the pieces and delivered me from the mess. Landed a job flying for the airlines. gave me the holy spirit and the insatiable desire to read His living word. for 11 years I have been recording the blessings he has given me. there have many hundreds. the big ones, the ones I love to tell folks are in a journal.

the biggest is yet to come. he gave me a vision , a hope of something wonderful and though I have had a setback, the hope is still there. as long as I can hope for the unseen, I can delight in His goodness and delight in his will for my life.

I turn 48 tomorrow. what a journey. I am filed with contentment , though i live from paycheck to paycheck.

you see, jack, it isn't about the money i found out. what i did find out was that nothing can take the place of the love you feel from God the minute your eyes are opened, the veil is lifted and that amazing grace shows up.

i hope I didn't lose you, but remember, with jesus, there is nothing here on earth that you and Him together cannot overcome. Apart from Him i can do nothing, but through and with Him , I can do all things.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking atheists why/how they became Christians?
kinda. Or the other way, too.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM

852 posts, read 1,366,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post
jackfrost

what makes you go from one end ot the other? first I reached a brokeness and hopelessness that came from a life crisis. I had always thought that it was me who did it. it was all me. i could win. i could succeed. when utter failure, total financial mayhem, death threats from my ex partner, and looking at all the years of hard work down the drain, came into my house,

I got on my knees in tears of despair and called on the only name given under heaven by which I coud be saved, the man, Jesus Christ, God in the flesh.

God loves then sinner , of which I was foremost, and he loves a broken contrite heart. I had those things. He picked up the pieces and delivered me from the mess. Landed a job flying for the airlines. gave me the holy spirit and the insatiable desire to read His living word. for 11 years I have been recording the blessings he has given me. there have many hundreds. the big ones, the ones I love to tell folks are in a journal.

the biggest is yet to come. he gave me a vision , a hope of something wonderful and though I have had a setback, the hope is still there. as long as I can hope for the unseen, I can delight in His goodness and delight in his will for my life.

I turn 48 tomorrow. what a journey. I am filed with contentment , though i live from paycheck to paycheck.

you see, jack, it isn't about the money i found out. what i did find out was that nothing can take the place of the love you feel from God the minute your eyes are opened, the veil is lifted and that amazing grace shows up.

i hope I didn't lose you, but remember, with jesus, there is nothing here on earth that you and Him together cannot overcome. Apart from Him i can do nothing, but through and with Him , I can do all things.
A true belief...in your heart belief..i believe Dave has this type of faith also...I can usually tell when someone has what I call "the faith in their heart"...It can definitely bring you to tears when experiencing something of Christ. Submitting yourself to Christ...admitting that that you are nothing without Him. Let Him help with your pain and despairs through life...it makes things so much more easy. He also makes those glorious moments all that much more glorious.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM

777 posts, read 1,442,073 times
The bottom line, Jacky...
It is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Once Christ's reality impacts a person's life, they become a new creation - at least on the inside.
Bringing that to the surface can take time.
During which - those who don't understand what it's about - will understand that person even less.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
A true belief...in your heart belief..i believe Dave has this type of faith also...I can usually tell when someone has what I call "the faith in their heart"...It can definitely bring you to tears when experiencing something of Christ. Submitting yourself to Christ...admitting that that you are nothing without Him. Let Him help with your pain and despairs through life...it makes things so much more easy. He also makes those glorious moments all that much more glorious.
I can see someone doing that if they have something in themselves that needs filling. Such as Dave was in a state of despair, that Christ was exactly what he needed.

If you felt like nothing, then it gave you a purpose, then that filled that whole of feeling worthlessness.

I'm sensing a common theme? (Correct me if I'm wrong) That usually the non-religious person has something in their life that is just really going bad that they can't seem to see themselves out of and following a faith helps them out of it. Is that right? I'm not judging. Just trying to understand.

Now for the rest of those non-believers, perhaps..maybe they are still content in life? That things haven't gone bad and they haven't felt a gap that needs to be filled yet? Maybe their lives as they are are okay so far and they don't need it? Again just trying to nail it down a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity