Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,595,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
If you believe in a literal translation of the bible then you must be a confused person.
The bible contradicts itself more then any book I have read so therefore how can you believe in a literal translation of it?

If you do then please tell me you know about the unicorns in the bible and that it speaks of men doing the dishes (as a man wipeth a dish).

Moderator cut: orphaned
altogether now <mimimimimimi.....clearing throat> There are no contradictions nor errors in the bible. The bible is the inerrant, infallible word of God....Aaaaaaaaaammmmmeeen.

I am an agnostic when it pertains to unicorns. I have not been everywhere, seen everything to make the conclusive statement that there are no unicorns.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-04-2009 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:36 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,774,123 times
Default Whitch Translation?

I enjoy many Translations and some seem to leave certain things out........since I feel that to be true ...It is dificult to explain to a nonbeliever or a person who can not differenate .....when you say literal it is true an untaught person is dangerous..when they misintrupt the Bible. I recommend that a person starts with simple ideas and widely acceped passages.......do that for 50 years and I would accept you as a dedicated student of the Bible..............
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Many folks claim that they believe in a literal translation of the Bible and those who don't are in grave danger. Some people believe that there are sections which are not to be taken literally and are only meant to teach principles and truth. Explain why you think your position is correct.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,774,123 times
Default I love goggle but...

if it was the sourse of my wholel opinion i WOULD BE putting all my eggs in one basket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
altogether now <mimimimimimi.....clearing throat> There are no contradictions nor errors in the bible. The bible is the inerrant, infallible word of God....Aaaaaaaaaammmmmeeen.

I am an agnostic when it pertains to unicorns. I have not been everywhere, seen everything to make the conclusive statement that there are no unicorns.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,849,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Why do you exempt yourself from this phrase? Why do you not consider the possibility that YOU do not look past your preferred version? What if you are only scratching the surface and assuming you have the whole package opened?
Because I do not just stick to just one version, I search the many translations and interpritations I have at my disposal as well as concordance and literal word for word translations. I dig as deep as possible and I am willing to look at the verses that I may not agree with personally but accept spiritually.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:34 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,912,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
If you do then please tell me you know about the unicorns in the bible and that it speaks of men doing the dishes (as a man wipeth a dish)
You should take your own advice:

What Does the Bible Say About..Unicorns?

Unicorns in the Bible? - Answers in Genesis

Unicorns in the Bible | Learn The Bible

Also, I'm going to submit your comments to National Geographic...can you believe those idiots refer to a rhinoceros as "Rhinoceros unicornis".

Indian Rhinoceros, Indian Rhinoceros Profile, Facts, Information, Photos, Pictures, Sounds, Habitats, Reports, News - National Geographic

Old 05-04-2009, 04:02 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,510,383 times
Quote:
Either you believe in ALL the bible or you believe in none of it. If you can't believe in all of it, you might as well throw it away and come to the realization that you are living a lie.
So you believe when God says he is the savior of ALL men, especially of those that believe? You believe that it is God`s pleasure that all men be saved and that all of his good pleasure he will do?

Old 05-04-2009, 04:53 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,901,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Many folks claim that they believe in a literal translation of the Bible and those who don't are in grave danger. Some people believe that there are sections which are not to be taken literally and are only meant to teach principles and truth. Explain why you think your position is correct.
I agree that some sections of the Bible are not meant to be taken literally. They are indeed to teach principles and/or truth. For example, here is one of them:

Matthew 5:29
And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Now, how many of you are actually going to take that scripture literally, and pluck your eye out, if it is sore or hurting for some reason? Not me!

Bud

Old 05-04-2009, 05:04 PM

64,026 posts, read 40,336,559 times
Quote:
Either you believe in ALL the bible or you believe in none of it. If you can't believe in all of it, you might as well throw it away and come to the realization that you are living a lie.
Don't you ever tire of your straw man arguments, Fundy. All Christians believe in ALL of the bible . . . just NOT in the mindless literal interpretations of it that represent a refusal to use exegetical and other sources of knowledge to interpret the SPIRITUAL messages . . . NOT the CARNAL MILK. A literal interpretation is a position born of ignorance and exemplifying the elevation of ignorance to a virtue, IMO.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:27 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,496,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
You should take your own advice:

What Does the Bible Say About..Unicorns?

Unicorns in the Bible? - Answers in Genesis

Unicorns in the Bible | Learn The Bible

Also, I'm going to submit your comments to National Geographic...can you believe those idiots refer to a rhinoceros as "Rhinoceros unicornis".

Indian Rhinoceros, Indian Rhinoceros Profile, Facts, Information, Photos, Pictures, Sounds, Habitats, Reports, News - National Geographic
Thanks for the advice but I have read all I want to.

Bible Inconsistencies: Bible Contradictions?

This is only ONE of the many, many websites that point out the obvious, that the bible is FULL of contradictions.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 PM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,638,530 times
Do certain groups/denominations also misinterpret the Bible by just ignoring certain chapters/verses because it might conflict with their personal or denomination's stance on certain truths? Have you run across something in the Bible that disagreed with what you were previously taught and it forced you to make a difficult choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity