Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:56 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,276 times

Advertisements

Yeah, you can take the literal MEANING from the parable or story, doesn't mean it LITERALLY happened. Thats why I believed God created everything, but I don't believe it LITERALLY happened in 6 days. It still portrays the message, or lesson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
...Okay. Doesn't change the fact that Jesus spoke in parables and didn't tell literal stories, as was the original suggestion. I don't know why the fact that Rabbis also spoke in parables takes anything away from that.

Thanks for playing, but I can assure you I have a clue. The love of Christ shines forth yet again.

For Robin69 - Is it plausible that the story of the boy who cried wolf could happen? Did it happen, or was it created out of thin air to teach children a lesson, never meant to be taken literally?
Yes it is possible the boy who cried wolf could be a true story.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
But does it HAVE to a true story to deliver the same message?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,885,583 times
Default An amazing Song

YouTube - Casting Crowns - The Word is Alive (Lyrics on video)

Old 05-06-2009, 11:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,703,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
But it isn't a true story.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,090 times
What we share should be edifying to the inner man. The text must be honored and still retained for other understandings as they present themselves. What I don't quite understand is why so many think they have to limit themselves to only one view to the exclusion of any others. Here is a small excerpt from an article on interpreting Scripture with links:

What is Pardes? Pardes [H6508] is a Hebrew word used in the Bible that means a forest, orchard, or park, and is referred to as Paradise. It corresponds with the Greek word paradeisos [G3857], which also means a park, Eden, or Paradise.

In Hebrew, Pardes is spelled, PRDS which is also an acronym for the Hebrew words Pshat, Remez, Derasha, Sod. Each word represents a different level of understanding the scriptures. Each level of understanding becomes deeper as revealed in the iceberg picture (upper right).

The journey into Pardes also represents our journey into deeper levels of intimacy with God our Father. It represents our journey into the relationship we once had in the Garden of Eden, hence the word Pardes ~ Paradise. (When finished here, please see our article on
4 Entered the Garden - a story from the Jewish Talmud on the dangers of the journey into Pardes.)

The four levels of Biblical understanding are:

P [Pshat] - literal, simple - BREADTH
R [Remez] -
parable, allegory - LENGTH
D [Derasha] -
seek, search - DEPTH
S [Sod] -
inner, mystical - HEIGHT

DIMENSIONS

Jewish mysticism teaches us that the four levels of Biblical understanding are actually dimensions of meaning or interpretation. These dimensions as seen in the New Testament are the measurements of BREADTH, LENGTH, DEPTH, and HEIGHT, as revealed in Ephesians 3:18........

Ephesians 3:17-19

17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height
;
19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

the whole article is available at:
4 Levels of Biblical Understanding, by Eighth Day Assembly

There are other ways...

Old 05-07-2009, 07:02 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,336,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
Hoping this helps someone, again, from earlier in this thread:

Was it a lazy boy recliner with the cup holder and built in warmer?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:36 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Many folks claim that they believe in a literal translation of the Bible and those who don't are in grave danger. Some people believe that there are sections which are not to be taken literally and are only meant to teach principles and truth. Explain why you think your position is correct.
I didn't bother to read the entire thread but I wanted to answer your question.

I read a book by Dinesh D'Souza, What's So Great About Christianity (the title is not a question by the way), and he begins early on by saying that the Bible is contextual. While there are some things I disagree with him about in his book, he was spot on there. I used to call myself a literalist but that wasn't really appropriate. The Bible contains all kinds of literary devices that are not intended to be taken literally (parables for example) though they have a very literal message (one that's not intended to be taken any way you want to). So contextual is the best description for how I take the Bible.

It's not a book of philosophy or fiction or a menu of choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity