Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,491,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Do certain groups/denominations also misinterpret the Bible by just ignoring certain chapters/verses because it might conflict with their personal or denomination's stance on certain truths? Have you run across something in the Bible that disagreed with what you were previously taught and it forced you to make a choice?
I know in the religion I was brought up in, they did alot of this. As a friend said to me recently who is a minister, "the bible isn't an all you can eat buffet where you get to pick and choose."

I can't speak for others having not experienced them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 05:45 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,848,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Do certain groups/denominations also misinterpret the Bible by just ignoring certain chapters/verses because it might conflict with their personal or denomination's stance on certain truths?
Yes.

Quote:
Have you run across something in the Bible that disagreed with what you were previously taught and it forced you to make a difficult choice?
Yes, when I first became a Christian I hated the OT and anything written by Paul. I have since come to the realization that those writings are the truth as well and are very beneficial to my Christian walk.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Thanks for the advice but I have read all I want to.

Bible Inconsistencies: Bible Contradictions?

This is only ONE of the many, many websites that point out the obvious, that the bible is FULL of contradictions.
Actually LOL the site even admits its not accurate LOL. Pick anything you believe to be a contradiction and I will show you otherwise. Can you accept the challenge?

Old 05-04-2009, 06:51 PM

5,526 posts, read 7,371,967 times
Like so many disputes, perhaps some of us may just be using the wrong words.

Although, I don't define myself as a biblical "literalist", from what I read from some of my "fundie" friends maybe we're not that far apart.

For example, I believe the canon of scripture is closed.
We now have a complete set of inspired books, and no more is required.
Within these inspired writings, we have the word of God.
Nothing needs to be added or taken away. The scripture we have is sufficient.
Each and every word has been approved as part of the inspired text, and the spirit of God speaks to us, with and through it.
If that is a "literal" belief, then I'm a "literalist"

Now the literal interpretation of what was written by inspired authors thousands of years ago from different cultures and with different human abilities may still be up for debate.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 PM

283 posts, read 410,333 times
The Bible is always ment to be literal never figurative I'm amazed to see any Christian imply that God says some thing figuratively.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,599,381 times
the bible is literature designed to teach moral lessons. its not a history book.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the bible is literature designed to teach moral lessons. its not a history book.
Actually it is the history of Gods people.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:25 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdparty View Post
The Bible is always ment to be literal never figurative I'm amazed to see any Christian imply that God says some thing figuratively.
Christ spoke in parables. Almost all of Christ's teachings were figurative.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:29 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Actually it is the history of Gods people.
Let me guess. God's chosen people have congregated in highest percentages in the Southeastern United States and share a pretty uniform socio-economic status. If only all of us could be raised in South Carolina... Me and my predominantly Catholic region. I never stood a chance.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Let me guess. God's chosen people have congregated in highest percentages in the Southeastern United States and share a pretty uniform socio-economic status. If only all of us could be raised in South Carolina... Me and my predominantly Catholic region. I never stood a chance.
What does South Carolina have to do with anything? I was raised in Virginia and currently live in Montana. Gods Chosen people are those who hear His word and believe it and not those who hear and deny it or just dont hear to begin with. And who ever said you never had a chance? Are you saying you have been brainwashed by non believers? I know many Catholics who believe as I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity