Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,736,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
First of All, Jesus tells use ...

John 12:8
"For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always."

Yes, giving to the poor and taking care of widows and orphans and visiting people in jail ... That is good and true "Religion"(thrēskeia, worship or service to God) ... It is not however the Gospel message. The Gospel message is reconciliation of the world through Christ and the coming of the kingdom of God to be revealed from its mystery form within the believers into the world at his return when he sets up his dominion on earth.

If you feel so bad about present conditions on earth, we all knew it was coming to this from the beginning ... That is to say since Christ revealed the mystery of the prophecy of revelations to John.

Hug a tree, or give someone a coke or whatever you feel will make you a responsible "earthling". Thats cool ...
Case in point right here.

We create this problem, extremists say "Jesus told us this would happen!", and then watch as we collapse under the weight of the problem we created.

"What you do to the least of my brothers, you do unto me."

You accept poverty and suffering for the narcissistic desire to be tapped on the head by Jesus and lifted up, so be it. I believe gluttony is one of the seven sins.

I will continue to work to end this suffering because so long as another "earthling" suffers, so too do I, whether in this physical realm or the spiritual. We are all One. That is the core message of Christ Jesus. I hope you hear it someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,498,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Your preaching of no pre-trib rapture is the heresy. When speaking to the spiritual church of Philadelpia, Jesus said,

Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. (Revelation 3:10-11)

There is going to be a rapture of Jesus' glorious Bride, and that does not include many Christians. I cite the the ten virgins parable.
Greetings scgraham: What about the timing of Rev. 3:10-11? John was shown those things which were to SHORTLY take place because the time was THEN near! (Rev. 1:1, 3; 22:6, 10). Jesus was speaking to that very church at Philadelphia in the first century A. D. Notice also that He told that very church--"behold,I come soon."

Preterist

Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,782,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Case in point right here.

We create this problem, extremists say "Jesus told us this would happen!", and then watch as we collapse under the weight of the problem we created.

"What you do to the least of my brothers, you do unto me."

You accept poverty and suffering for the narcissistic desire to be tapped on the head by Jesus and lifted up, so be it. I believe gluttony is one of the seven sins.

I will continue to work to end this suffering because so long as another "earthling" suffers, so too do I, whether in this physical realm or the spiritual. We are all One. That is the core message of Christ Jesus. I hope you hear it someday.
Excuse me, i am not the cause of poverty in this world. If Jesus had seen poverty as the big problem facing humanity he would have dealt with it during his first advent, and I'm sure he will when he returns.

"Narcissistic desire to be tapped on the head by Jesus and lifted up?"

You see my desire to meet the lord in the air to be narcissistic?

I believe in charity, its noble and virtuous and certainly worthy of ones efforts. My understanding is that the material and financial disposition of individuals wasn't the reason for Christs first advent. It is not the purpose of the Gospel which he gave us to provide solutions for physical poverty, but instead solutions for humanities spiritual poverty.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:34 PM

Because of the truth of the gospel we know that, ... "Blessed are the poor, in spirit."

Old 06-04-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Greetings scgraham: What about the timing of Rev. 3:10-11? John was shown those things which were to SHORTLY take place because the time was THEN near! (Rev. 1:1, 3; 22:6, 10). Jesus was speaking to that very church at Philadelphia in the first century A. D. Notice also that He told that very church--"behold,I come soon."

Preterist
2 Peter 3:8-9
"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

The last days are the last age which we are still in. If a thousand years is as a day to God, and its been six thousand years since Adam, then the past 2000 years to God would seem like the last days of this week of millennia. The day of the lord starts at the tribulation and goes through to the end of Christ 1000 year reign, a thousand years as a day ...

Daniel 12:4
"But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased."

I believe the time of the end spoken of here in this verse of Daniel is the time we are living in now, with the advent of railroads, motor vehicles, highways, and air travel, people have become more mobile globally. And the dawn of the internet has seen communications expand exponentially over the last 20 years. Knowledge has been so significantly increased just in the information age. In the past 100 years the growth of mans knowledge has surpassed the summery of all scientific and cultural developments which took place over the last 6,000 years.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Excuse me, i am not the cause of poverty in this world. If Jesus had seen poverty as the big problem facing humanity he would have dealt with it during his first advent, and I'm sure he will when he returns.

"Narcissistic desire to be tapped on the head by Jesus and lifted up?"

You see my desire to meet the lord in the air to be narcissistic?

I believe in charity, its noble and virtuous and certainly worthy of ones efforts. My understanding is that the material and financial disposition of individuals wasn't the reason for Christs first advent. It is not the purpose of the Gospel which he gave us to provide solutions for physical poverty, but instead solutions for humanities spiritual poverty.
Helping the poor is mentioned over 2,000 times in the Bible.

I do see it as narcissistic - ignoring the problems of this world so you can be bathed in mansions and such in the other strikes me as rather self serving.

I would rather meet the other side knowing that I did all I could to build a society that has no poverty or war. That would be a society that truly treats the least of Christ's brothers as we would treat Christ himself.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:55 PM

IN the time of Christ man did not have the technology to understand many of the visions of prophecy of the end of this age. Now with all the nuclear and other high tech weapons it is far easier to understand what the visions were about. We can easily imagine the world consumed in a nuclear holocaust being within the power of mans technology, think about the weapons at Gods disposal ... !

Old 06-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Helping the poor is mentioned over 2,000 times in the Bible.

I do see it as narcissistic - ignoring the problems of this world so you can be bathed in mansions and such in the other strikes me as rather self serving.

I would rather meet the other side knowing that I did all I could to build a society that has no poverty or war. That would be a society that truly treats the least of Christ's brothers as we would treat Christ himself.
Its pretty hard ignoring the problems of the world when i am so often the "beneficiary" of so many minor and some major catastrophes. Ive never been rich, far from it, though i praise God i have survived and have often been provided creature comforts. Most of the social and secular problems of this world are due to the greed and tyranny of psychotic corporations and elite sections of society which rule the world at this time and benefit from and thus exacerbate the situation for that very reason. Only Christ return can even make a dent in the current predicament we humans find ourselves in at this moment as an whole. The whole Creation Groans for the revelation of the sons of God. And the children of God groan to be revealed in Glory with Christ in the heavens ... Its that simple.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Why do you consider yourself so helpless? You sound like a child who thinks only his parents can clean up the mess when they get home.

We are spiritually evolving through our adolescence right now (no longer the children we were when the Bible was written) and it is time to take responsibility for ourselves, stop relying on our parents. I once believed as you, but I was guided through an extremely intense journey and learned first-hand that we are the ones for whom we wait.

If we let corporations and religions destroy our world, it is our own fault.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:26 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,962,853 times
Jesus' Bride will be caught in the sky with Him, and thus those members will be kept from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

Who is the Bride?

Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners? (Song of Solomon 6:10) She is Jesus' glorious Bride.

What about the rest of the Christians?

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth, (Revelation 3:15,16)

They will be spewed into the tribulation period, as they are foolish virgins. They are saved, but not worthy of the rapture.

Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man, (Luke 21:36)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity